jrau

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
I have a bunch of parts that look like a PC but for some reason the CD/DVD drive will not work?! I am on the third drive and none will open with the button ... when I try to eject the tray with Win7 I get an error message that reads "An error occurred while ejecting 'DVD RW Drive (D:)'.

When I'm looking at Device Manager I see a section labeled Other Devices and there are five things listed, all of them have a yellow icon (exclaimation point) ... they are:
> Ethernet Controller
> PCI Simple Communications Controller
> SM Bus Controller
> Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
> Unknown Device

I tried uninstalling these things and updating hardware ... they come back the same way. I tried uninstalling and rebooting, they still come back.

I have tried the Samsung SH-222BB drive (the one used in the Tom's builds ironically), the ASUS DRW-24B1ST drive (over 1000 people liked it on newegg) and an HP drive from Best BUY. All drives behave the same way.

I have tried the SATA cables that came with the drives (3) plus the two that run my SSD and HDD drives (they work great except when plugged in to the CD/DVD). I have tried all four SATA ports on the mobo ... and the two SATA3 ports that run the SSD and HDD drives just fine. The power connections have all been tried, they run the SSD, HDD and light the LEDs on the CD/DVD drives.

I had to load Win7 using a USB drive (which worked great) because I could not get past this.

The PC has a ASRock Z77 Pro3 mobo, a Corsair CX430 PSU and all the other parts appear to be working just fine.

I'm just out of ideas on how to get past this so I can install updates to the mobo and such. Maybe that is the issue but I don't know how to get past this.

And everyone said any drive will do, you don't really use it anyway :pfff:

jrau

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

All the things on the link look like what I would do after I get the CD/DVD working so that I can install my Internet disk and connect on my AT&T DSL.

Do I need something off this list just to get a CD/DVD to work on a brand new build?!

jrau

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

Each time I change the connection I check the BIOS and the drive is always shown with the correct port. It appears in Win7 Device Manager and lists no issues ... using a Windows driver dated 2006.

Maybe I should copy the contents of the disk that came with the board to my USB drive and update things?

At this point I think my issue is either the problems appearing in Device Manager or a bad board.

jrau

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

OK ... I got all the drivers from my motherboard CD on a USB and installed everything. I also updated the BIOS to version 1.50 (most current). All the Other Devices are gone in Device Manager (resolved as I understand it).

And the drive will not open with either the button on the drive or via Win7?!

I see the drive, Win7 thinks the drive is fine and has the most current drivers. The BIOS shows the drive and it is enabled and listed as the second boot device.

jrau

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

I'm way past cables (power and data) ... no combination of three SATA cables or four power connections works with the cd/dvd but do work with the ssd. All the updates are current.

I think I'm down to two possibilities ...

a) bad board

b) three bad drives ... two from newegg and one from best buy ... so this option seems stupid.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
did you try these cd/dvd drive on another system ,and try to borrow a cd/dvd drive from a friend for testing the motherboard sata port also remove all the other component that you dont need know ,i seen that you got a 430 watts psu what are the other thing that are power by this one on the system

jrau

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

The PSU powers a SSD, mobo, fans and this drive. I have a secod drive (HDD) that I have not installed yet. System boots fine and reconizes the cd/dvd but it will not open.

jrau

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

It comes out very smooth and easy. Some of what I read made it seem this is how to reset a drive ... but after a dozen repitions it made no difference.

jrau

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

Nope!

I got an idea on how to get power to the drive with no power to the mobo ... if it works it means my mobo is the issue, if not the drive is it.

Some have suggested the PSU may not have the right power on the SATA plugs ... I'm going to see if I can get a molex to SATA power cable so I can try different PSU connections.

jrau

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

jrau

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

Cosair power supply has 6-8 wire bundles coming out of the "shell". Two of them have only SATA power plugs ... one has a three 4-pin molex plugs and something little (a three-pin fan maybe).

So I bought a power cable "extension" ... 4-pin molex on one end and SATA power on the other. This lets me plug my CD/DVD in to a different connection on the power supply ... and the tray opens!

I suspect the power supply is actually defective ... I'm going to have it tested this coming weekend and return it if I have to.