Starp up sequence

Is there any way of making my norton firwall to startup before everything
else? Basicly modify the startup sequence?

Cheers
Liam
5 answers Last reply
More about starp sequence

    Depends on where the programs start from.

    Execution Order for starting programs

    With Windows XP, There are 13+ places that programs can start from and
    they are executed in the following order:

    Before Logon
    1)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
    2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

    After Logon
    3)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\Setup
    4) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    5) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
    6) WIN.INI [Windows] Load
    7) WIN.INI [Windows] Run
    8) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    9) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    10) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    11) C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    12) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    13) As a Scheduled Task set to run at startup.

    [[Startups in groups 6 to 11 all run at the same time (more or less).
    However, the groups themselves are triggered in the order shown above. In
    other words, the next group can begin launching while the previous group is
    still loading its startups. Due to timing issues it is impossible to say
    what order these items will finish loading, thus it is impossible to
    predict the exact order of execution for individual startups. For instance,
    you may notice two or more system tray icons changing position with each
    boot - even when no changes have been made to the order.]]

    [[The order of items within a group is not necessarily the final order, as
    some programs take longer than others to load, and synchronous groups can
    overlap each other.]]

    Items in 10 and 11 execute alphanumerically. You can change the order in 10
    and 11 by moving the items from 11 to 10. Also, you can rename the
    shortcuts in 10 and/or 11.

    For example; dfg.exe, fgh.exe and ghj.exe would start in that order. To
    change the order rename to aghj.exe, bdfg.exe and cfgh.exe. They would then
    start in that order. Or 1fgh.exe, 2ghj.exe and 3dfg.exe, et cetera.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:C5514801-568A-42FF-A9C4-0CA80981D50D@microsoft.com,
    Liam <Liam@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Is there any way of making my norton firwall to startup before everything
    > else? Basicly modify the startup sequence?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Liam

    Wesley, that is some useful information I copied and saved for future
    reference. I realize your list was not meant to be all-inclusive and neither
    is mine, but here are a few other places I found. This brings the total
    number of places where program start up can occur to 23 and counting. Curt

    All Users Startup Folder
    C:\windows\start menu\programs\startup
    C:\WINNT\Profiles\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    Registry Local Machine RunOnceEx
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

    Registry Current User RunServices
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

    Registry Local Machine Policies\Explorer\Run
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\Run

    Registry Current User Policies\Explorer\Run
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\Run

    UserInitKey
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit

    Load Key
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\load

    Win.ini
    C:\windows\win.ini

    System.ini
    C:\windows\system.ini

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Depends on where the programs start from.
    >
    > Execution Order for starting programs
    >
    > With Windows XP, There are 13+ places that programs can start from and
    > they are executed in the following order:
    >
    > Before Logon
    > 1)
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
    > 2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    >
    > After Logon
    > 3)
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\Setup
    > 4) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    > 5) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
    > 6) WIN.INI [Windows] Load
    > 7) WIN.INI [Windows] Run
    > 8) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > 9) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > 10) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    > 11) C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    > 12) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    > 13) As a Scheduled Task set to run at startup.
    >
    > [[Startups in groups 6 to 11 all run at the same time (more or less).
    > However, the groups themselves are triggered in the order shown above. In
    > other words, the next group can begin launching while the previous group is
    > still loading its startups. Due to timing issues it is impossible to say
    > what order these items will finish loading, thus it is impossible to
    > predict the exact order of execution for individual startups. For instance,
    > you may notice two or more system tray icons changing position with each
    > boot - even when no changes have been made to the order.]]
    >
    > [[The order of items within a group is not necessarily the final order, as
    > some programs take longer than others to load, and synchronous groups can
    > overlap each other.]]
    >
    > Items in 10 and 11 execute alphanumerically. You can change the order in 10
    > and 11 by moving the items from 11 to 10. Also, you can rename the
    > shortcuts in 10 and/or 11.
    >
    > For example; dfg.exe, fgh.exe and ghj.exe would start in that order. To
    > change the order rename to aghj.exe, bdfg.exe and cfgh.exe. They would then
    > start in that order. Or 1fgh.exe, 2ghj.exe and 3dfg.exe, et cetera.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:C5514801-568A-42FF-A9C4-0CA80981D50D@microsoft.com,
    > Liam <Liam@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Is there any way of making my norton firwall to startup before everything
    > > else? Basicly modify the startup sequence?
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > > Liam

    Curt,

    No such place as
    C:\windows\start menu\programs\startup
    (windows 95 or 98 maybe?)

    It is either
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    or
    %homepath%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    which is the same as
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    Win.ini
    C:\windows\win.ini
    I addressed this:
    6) WIN.INI [Windows] Load
    7) WIN.INI [Windows] Run

    If the following list isn't long enough for you...
    Download and install Autoruns.
    Select Include Empty Locations in the Options menu to see all the locations.

    Sysinternals Freeware - Autoruns
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html

    Here is my longer version, which is not all inclusive either...

    Execution Order for starting programs

    From various sources.

    Before Logon

    RunServicesOnce
    1) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    RunServicesOnce
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    RunServicesOnce

    RunServices
    2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

    <Logon Prompt>

    RunOnce Local Machine Key
    [[With the exception of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\...\RunOnce key, all keys and
    their entries are loaded asynchronously. Therefore, all entries in the
    RunServices and RunServicesOnce keys can potentially run at the same time.

    Entries in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\...\RunOnce key are loaded synchronously
    in an undefined order.

    Because the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\...\RunOnce key is
    loaded synchronously, all of its entries must finish loading before the
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\...\Run, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\...\Run,
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\...\RunOnce, and Startup Folder entries can be loaded.

    Because of different system configurations (such as a computer that is
    configured to automatically log on), any application that is dependant upon
    other applications that are executed under these keys having completed must
    be prepared to wait until these applications are complete.]]

    [[The RunOnce keys are ignored under Windows 2000 and Windows XP in Safe
    Mode.]]
    3) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    RunOnce\Setup
    4) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    5) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

    6) WIN.INI [Windows] Load
    7) WIN.INI [Windows] Run

    Run keys. By default these keys are not executed in Safe mode. If you
    prefix a value in these keys with an asterisk, *, it will run in Safe Mode.
    8) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    9) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    All Users Startup Folder
    10) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    User Profile Startup Folder
    11) C:\Documents and Settings\Your user name\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    RunOnce Current User Key
    [[The RunOnce keys are ignored under Windows 2000 and Windows XP in Safe
    Mode.]]
    12) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

    Explorer Run
    From Group Policy
    Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative
    Templates\System\Logon\
    Run these programs at user logon
    [[Note: This setting appears in the Computer Configuration and User
    Configuration folders. If both settings are configured, the system starts
    the programs specified in the Computer Configuration setting just before it
    starts the programs specified in the User Configuration setting.]]
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    Explorer\Run

    From Group Policy
    Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative
    Templates\System\Logon\
    Run these programs at user logon
    [[Note: This setting appears in the Computer Configuration and User
    Configuration folders. If both settings are configured, the system starts
    the programs specified in the Computer Configuration setting just before it
    starts the programs specified in the User Configuration setting.]]
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    Explorer\Run

    UserInit Key This key specifies what program should be launched right after
    a user logs into Windows. The default program for this key is
    C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe. Userinit.exe is a program that restores
    your profile, fonts, colors, etc for your username.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit

    Load Key - This key is not commonly used anymore, but can be used to auto
    start programs.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\load

    Notify - This key is used to add a program that will run when a particular
    event occurs. Events include logon, logoff, startup, shutdown,
    startscreensaver, and stopscreensaver. When Winlogon.exe generates an event
    such as the ones listed, Windows will look in the Notify registry key for a
    DLL that will handle this event.
    NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify

    Also Load, Run & Shell

    AppInit_DLLs - This value corresponds to files being loaded through the
    AppInit_DLLs Registry value.

    The AppInit_DLLs registry value contains a list of dlls that will be loaded
    when user32.dll is loaded. As most Windows executables use the user32.dll,
    that means that any DLL that is listed in the AppInit_DLLs registry key will
    be loaded also. This makes it very difficult to remove the DLL as it will be
    loaded within multiple processes, some of which can not be stopped without
    causing system instability. The user32.dll file is also used by processes
    that are automatically started by the system when you log on. This means
    that the files loaded in the AppInit_DLLs value will be loaded very early in
    the Windows startup routine allowing the DLL to hide itself or protect
    itself before we have access to the system.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

    ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad This Registry contains values in a similar way
    as the Run key does. The difference is that instead of pointing to the file
    itself, it points to the CLSID's InProcServer, which contains the
    information about the particular DLL file that is being used.

    The files under this key are loaded automatically by Explorer.exe when your
    computer starts. Because Explorer.exe is the shell for your computer, it
    will always start, thus always loading the files under this key. These files
    are therefore loaded early in the startup process before any human
    intervention occurs.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad

    13) SharedTaskScheduler
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
    SharedTaskScheduler

[...]

    The following are files that programs can autostart from on bootup:

    1. c:\autoexec.bat
    2. c:\config.sys
    3 . windir\wininit.ini - Usually used by setup programs to have a file run
    once and then get deleted.
    4. windir\winstart.bat
    5. windir\win.ini - [windows] "load"
    6. windir\win.ini - [windows] "run"
    7. windir\system.ini - [boot] "shell"
    8 . windir\system.ini - [boot] "scrnsave.exe"
    9. windir\dosstart.bat - Used in Win95 or 98 when you select the "Restart in
    MS-DOS mode" in the shutdown menu.
    10. windir\system\autoexec.nt
    11. windir\system\config.nt
    ========================

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\state
    bootini
    services
    startup
    system.ini
    win.ini

    NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\win.ini

    NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\system.ini\boot
    Shell
    REG_SZ
    SYS:Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

    NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\win.ini
    Winlogon
    REG_SZ
    SYS:Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

    NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\win.ini\Windows
    AppInit_DLLs

    In news:7A52AA40-D21E-458B-807E-774ABAF17AB9@microsoft.com,
    CurtB <CurtB@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> [...]
    >> can overlap each other.]]
    >>
    >> Items in 10 and 11 execute alphanumerically. You can change the order
    >> in 10 and 11 by moving the items from 11 to 10. Also, you can rename the
    >> shortcuts in 10 and/or 11.
    >>
    >> For example; dfg.exe, fgh.exe and ghj.exe would start in that order. To
    >> change the order rename to aghj.exe, bdfg.exe and cfgh.exe. They would
    >> then start in that order. Or 1fgh.exe, 2ghj.exe and 3dfg.exe, et cetera.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:C5514801-568A-42FF-A9C4-0CA80981D50D@microsoft.com,
    >> Liam <Liam@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Is there any way of making my norton firwall to startup before
    >>> everything else? Basicly modify the startup sequence?

    >>> Liam

    Wesley, whether the original poster figured out a solution to his problem or
    not, I found your post to be informative. It will provide a helpful research
    reference in the future. Thanks for the information. Curt

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
    > >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\User
    > init
    > >
    > > Load Key
    > > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    > > NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\load
    > >
    > > Win.ini
    > > C:\windows\win.ini
    > >
    > > System.ini
    > > C:\windows\system.ini
    > >
    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Depends on where the programs start from.
    > >>
    > >> Execution Order for starting programs
    > >>
    > >> With Windows XP, There are 13+ places that programs can start from and
    > >> they are executed in the following order:
    > >>
    > >> Before Logon
    > >> 1)
    > >>
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
    > >> 2)
    > >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

    Keep having fun, Curt.

    The OP was a CDO poster, they probably can't find their way back here.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:96132B8F-A6DB-49EF-BD48-F5B50E7095A5@microsoft.com,
> [...]
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explor
    >> er\Run
    >>>
    >>> Registry Current User Policies\Explorer\Run

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explore
    >> r\Run
    >>>
    >>> UserInitKey

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\User
    >> init
    >>>
    >>> Load Key
    >>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    >>> NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\load
    >>>
    >>> Win.ini
    >>> C:\windows\win.ini
    >>>
    >>> System.ini
    >>> C:\windows\system.ini

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

Configuration Norton Microsoft Customization Windows XP