Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Getting old games to work on windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
February 10, 2012 5:17:47 PM

Hi,

I have the original CDs for Gabriel Knight 2 - The Beast Within and I also downloaded the DOS Box but I can't seem to get the game installed and be able to run it on Windows 7.

Is there a simpler solution?

Can someone please advise me on this matter?

Thanks

Murray :( 

More about : games work windows

a b $ Windows 7
February 10, 2012 6:10:05 PM

Visit the Gabriel Knight game forums and look around for a patch from www.sierrahelp.com
m
0
l
Related resources
February 11, 2012 3:32:00 AM

bigbadmur said:
Hi,

I have the original CDs for Gabriel Knight 2 - The Beast Within and I also downloaded the DOS Box but I can't seem to get the game installed and be able to run it on Windows 7.

Is there a simpler solution?

Can someone please advise me on this matter?

Thanks

Murray :( 


Murray -- since you stated the concern regarding Microsoft DOS programs and the compatibility concerns with such architecture, you may benefit from Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC. Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC, available on Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate, allow you to run multiple Windows environments, such as Windows XP Mode, from your Windows 7 desktop. For the Gabriel Knight 2 application you mentioned, this may be an ideal solution for you. Typically speaking, when utilizing Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC, one does not want to depend on the use of such tools for graphic intense applications because they do exist within a virtualized environment. However, since you stated the application in question is Microsoft DOS based, it may work out just fine.

As for anyone else present with Windows 7 compatibility concerns, another alternative would be to test the application in compatibility mode first, prior to resorting to a virtual environment. A great web page to learn more about compatibility mode is "Make older programs run in this version of Windows."

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro
m
0
l
February 11, 2012 5:04:01 PM

Hi Jessica,

Thank you for your eloquence, I will try the Windows XP Mode and Virtual PC.

Peace,

Murray :D 
m
0
l
February 13, 2012 4:29:29 PM

bigbadmur said:
Hi Jessica,

Thank you for your eloquence, I will try the Windows XP Mode and Virtual PC.

Peace,

Murray :D 


You are quite welcome. Let us know how the compatibility testing goes.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team -- IT Pro
m
0
l
February 13, 2012 6:46:26 PM

Hi Jessica,

Well I got a fresh download of the DOS Box and a Patch for Gabriel Knight 2 from the Sierra Help Forum put them both together loaded up the game and it worked!

I could not get the Windows XP & Virtual PC download as I have Windows Home Premium only on my computer.

Cheers,

Murray :) 

m
0
l
February 13, 2012 8:11:57 PM

bigbadmur said:
Hi Jessica,

Well I got a fresh download of the DOS Box and a Patch for Gabriel Knight 2 from the Sierra Help Forum put them both together loaded up the game and it worked!

I could not get the Windows XP & Virtual PC download as I have Windows Home Premium only on my computer.

Cheers,

Murray :) 


Hi Murray,

Glad it's all working!

Just for future reference and for anyone who is not currently running Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise, or Windows 7 Ultimate, there is an easy upgrade path to Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate through the Windows Anytime Upgrade program.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team -- IT Pro
m
0
l
!