New to the Forums Got a Couple Questons

Jawsomee

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Hey guys first time on the forums :bounce: been researching looking around the usual always ended up here. So here it goes, first time building a system am going to be mostly gaming pretty hardcore on a variety of popular titles. So far this is the build I have I just want to get some opinions what do you guys think etc. Am also planning on maybe running a three monitor setup in the future and stuff :)

Mobo
ASUS DDR3 2600 Intel LGA 1155 Motherboards (Maximus V Extreme)

Processor
Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770K

OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

First HD
Corsair Force Series GT 120 GB SATA 2.5-Inch SATA III Solid State Drive (CSSD-F120GBGT-BK)

Second HD
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX

Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Pro Sound Card SB1356

Case
Corsair Obsidian 650D Aluminum Mid Tower ATX Enthusiast Computer Case - Black CC650DW-1

GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 670 SuperClocked 4096MB GDDR5, 2x Dual-Link DVI, HDMI, DP, 4-Way SLI Ready Graphics Card (04G-P4-2673-KR)

Power Supply
Corsair Enthusiast Series 850-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD platforms - CMPSU-850TXV2

Ram
Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz PC3 240 Pin DIMM Memory CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10

Aftermarket Fan for CPU
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

This build is coming out a little expensive but if you guys can let me know on any improvements I can make or if am missing anything please let me know trying to have a computer that will last me from now and even then with future games comes out.

malbluff

Honorable
Couple of questions:

Do you really need i7. Gaming doesn't benefit, at all, from i7 (over i5). i7 can help with things like high-end photgraphy, or design software, but is of minimal benefit elsewhere.

Why do you want RoG motherboard. I'm not saying they're not good, they're great, IF you want to do sophisticed, agressive overclocking and water cooling. There's not a huge benefit, otherwise, except for a cool colour and a RoG badge.

You need to be sure on those points, before it is clear how best to advise you, plus it gives a idea of what you are hoping for.

Jawsomee

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
As far as the motherboard goes for now I will not be overclocking but most likely I will do it in the future for sure. And for the i7 vs the i5 I have read that everyone has suggested that the i5 3570k is better for gaming and just overall in general. The i5 is the best bang for the buck so to speak but what am looking for is a computer set up that wont hold back on anything i throw at it game wise for now and for the long run, basically something future proof since technology is always changing and advancing.

obsama1

Distinguished
Doesn't matter. No game can use the i7's hyperthreading. By the time they do, this rig will be 10 years old. Trust me. Everybody here will tell you that the i5 is much better than the i7. In most benchmarks, the i7 is better by 2-5FPS. Not worth the cost. For overclocking, the Extreme6 is very good for overclocking. Don't need that ROG mobo to overclock.

Jawsomee

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Awesome man thanks for the info going to change up my cart real quick lol. As well is the extreme6 the best motherboard for the i5 possible? and would you suggest ASUS, Gigabyte, AS rock, etc. And since am new to all this with the GPU am getting and in the future when I want to run three monitors, would the motherboard, processor all that should run just fine right? and would you suggest over clocking from the start? or does it really lower the life span of the processor?

malbluff

Honorable
Re motherboard, personally prefer Asus P8Z77 V Pro. All the features you're likely to ever need, excellent quality, good easy to use software. It's not the cheapest, but in my opinion, the best.
For storage: something like a 128GB Samsung 830 SSD (Crucial M4 also good), and perhaps 1TB Seagate Barracuda hard drive. You can have two hard drives if you want. Gives you a bit more flexiblity, for back-ups etc, but not necessary.

Jawsomee

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Alright so far going to switch out the i7 for the i5 going to be the asus mobo, as well switch out the ssd for samsung, switch gpu for msi's and get a 750w power supply. Thanks so much guys any more input would be awesome! you guys are really helping a lot i appreciate it!!

Jawsomee

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
And as well would you guys recommend me getting more case fans for the setup that I will have with the i5 and the superclocked gpu? because the last thing I want is for my system to overheat lol

malbluff

Honorable
For SSD Samsung 830, or Crucial M4 are best. If you are getting a 750W power supply, for future SLi, make sure it's a good one. It's never a good idea to "cheap out" on PSU, anyway, but particularly important if running with one GPU, for a while, cheap PSU's tend to be horribly inefficient, at low load. Get one that's at least certified "Bronze".
You should be fine with case fans. There's acres of room in that case, for airflow. You MAY have to add a fan, when you SLi. Changing fans is often more to do with noise, when working hard. Manufactures don't tend to put super-quiet fans on.

emperor piehead

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
hx 750w psu is 80+ gold and moudlar which is good. if you are going asus then the sabertooth is really good i have one. if you are using the ssd for just os drive then it really doesnt matter although neutron is the fastest

Jawsomee

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Cool beans :sol: and would you guys recommend over clocking the processor from the start? or is it really not necessary? or should I wait a couple weeks once I get the processor? As well emperor I decided to go with the asus sabertooth mobo looks sweet and it has everything I need also going to go for the h100 cooling systm.

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

I would overclock from the start (I did ;) ). You can create multiple profiles in your BIOS. That's what I did. So when I'm doing normal stuff on my PC, such as surfing the internet, watching movies, etc. I just boot up with the default CPU clock. When I'm going to play BF3, I reboot with the BIOS profile that has all my overclocked settings saved. This way, I'm not stressing my CPU 24/7. You could also set your BIOS to allow the CPU to downclock on the fly when your PC is pretty much idling.

malbluff

Honorable
Unless you are well experienced, don't dive into overclocking, before the sytem has run at stock, at least enough to be sure you've ironed out any basic issues. Also pays to take a bit of time to be sure you know your way around the system. No rush to get too agressive.

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

I agree. I didn't mean to imply he should overclock before he determined that the new build has no kinks in it at stock. I just meant he shouldn't worry about reducing the lifespan of the CPU unless he was doing extreme overclocking with high voltages.

malbluff

Honorable

All comes down to OP's experience, really. If not very experienced, pays to be confident with everything, before "fiddling".

obsama1

Distinguished
Way too overkill for gaming. Get the ASUS P8Z77 series of boards. The Sabertooth has features that 99% of gamers will not use. The H100 is beat by the Noctua D14 air cooler, which is cheaper and performs better. 16GB is too much for gaming. Get 8GB. EVGA has good customer service, but they use reference designs, so ASUS, MSI, et al. have EVGA beat on GPU cooling.

Jawsomee

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Am still new to the whole building a PC area so you guys are right il wait to make sure everything works fine. So far the build is looking like this

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 TUF Series Motherboard on Intel Z77 Platform z77 ATX DDR3 1600 Intel - LGA 1155 Motherboard
Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K
Corsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB 6 Gb-s 7mm by 2.5-Inch Toggle NAND Solid State Drive Exclusive LAMD Controller CSSD-N120GBGTX-BK
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
EVGA GeForce GTX 670 SuperClocked 4096MB GDDR5, 2x Dual-Link DVI, HDMI, DP, 4-Way SLI Ready Graphics Card
Corsair Obsidian 650D Aluminum Mid Tower ATX Enthusiast Computer Case

Again anymore info from you guys would be helpful :) decided to go with EVGAs gpu because i heard their customer service is really good as well I couldnt really find the superclocked version for msi's. And as well I will be getting Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Card with Dual Adjustable 70mm UV LED one for the light and two just to be safe with the GPU because I know the gtx 670 can have some heat to it once pushed.

Jawsomee

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012

The Noctua d14 air cooler seems huge is it going to be a hassle when it comes to install and ram? I go with 16gb because why not? lol more room for the future in that case if I decide to do anything else. As far as the gpu goes I only see EVGA having the superclocked gtx 670 I dont see msi's, ASUS's, versions unless they just make the regular standard.

spat55

Distinguished

Drop the i7 for a i5 3570k, get a 550w-650w PSU for money, maybe get a cheaper case, not sure how much yours is, should save yourself £70 ($90). IF you need more savings, drop the RAM to 8GB and the GPU.