Stinger

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

.............Well.. i just got level 30.. and LIFE IS GREAT! can it possible
get any better? :)
Travel Form IS GREAT

You mean you kill slower than my Disc/Holy priest? The agony!

Sandy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002

Am Wed, 07 Sep 2005 09:18:27 -0400 schrieb Stinger:

> ............Well.. i just got level 30.. and LIFE IS GREAT! can it possible
> get any better? :)
> Travel Form IS GREAT

no, it only gets worse. you will kill mobs slower than anyone else, will
only be invited to groups to healbot, while youre not allowed to roll on
rogue items else they call you a ninja.

"sandy" <sandy@nospam.org> wrote:

> Am Wed, 07 Sep 2005 09:18:27 -0400 schrieb Stinger:
>
>> ............Well.. i just got level 30.. and LIFE IS GREAT! can it possible
>> get any better? :)
>> Travel Form IS GREAT

/pat Kodo

> no, it only gets worse

Huh?

> you will kill mobs slower than anyone else

True. That's what groups are for :eek:)

> will only be invited to groups to healbot

Nah, get a guild.

> while youre not allowed to roll on
> rogue items else they call you a ninja.

Sounds like you need a new server. European? How about
Sunstrider?

Seriously: I've never been called a ninja, and half my current
feral equipment is from pickup groups in UBRS. It helps to talk
with the people, though. If someone would call me a ninja for
rolling on an item that's a huge upgrade for my tanking gear,
because he doesn't have a clue of the benefit I get out of that
item, well... bad for his blood pressure, but not my problem.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (60) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (18) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

Congrats!
Playing a druid can be very very rewarding and fun or frustrating, depending
on many factors.
It is not an easy class to play well if you are ambitious.
But if you just want to be a healer then it is not too difficult.
If you want to be a great duelist and/or PVP player with your druid, then I
highly recommend doing a lot of reading on forums and a lot of practicing.
READ THE FORUMS
There are some great posts out there by players who ROCK with a druid.
And yes, one other poster here mentioned you will get some flack by rogues
when/if you ever try to roll on gear that *seems* to be made for rogues.
I say *seems* because... ok I'll post my rant on gear in another msg on this
thread.
--
Scotter
60 Druid on Laughing Skull

What the Hell is a Hybrid?

Druids are a hybrid class. What does this mean? A druid is a combination of
many classes. They can do many things quite well but not quite as well as
the copied class. Note: Paladins and Shamans are also considered "hybrids"
by Blizzard.

In other words:

(a) A druid, fully "feral" spec can DPS (damage per second) *somewhere near*
(about 70%) as well as a same-level and same-equipped rogue -- this is
debateable;

(b) a druid, fully "feral" spec and with tanking gear can tank *somewhere
near* as well as a same-level warrior; and

(c) a druid, fully "resto" spec and with heal/mana gear can heal *almost* as
well as a same-level priest.

The point is that a druid can be *equally* adept at any of these three
roles, depending on where he puts his talent points and what armor he wears.
EQUALLY. In other words, druids do not HAVE to be purely healers! Priests
are healers. Warriors are tanks. Rogues are DPS. A druid is none of those
things and not as good at any of those things as the main class is. Druids
are hybrids; a combination.

The Meat of the Matter: GEAR

Let's talk about picking up gear in instances. You have a party that
consists of the typical classes and you kill a few bosses together. Everyone
plays their roles well. The rogue does his poisoning, stunlocks, saps, and
DPS. The druid buffs, debuffs, DOTs, heals, roots, plays support tank when
needed, support DPS at other times, and quickly bring down stray runners
with moonfire. Everyone contributes their share. You get to a point where a
certain leather item with +## Attack Power drops. The druid rolls on the
item. He wins. The rogue is upset because he thinks, "Hey if something has
+##, that means it is rogue gear." In a way he is right. It IS rogue gear.
But the rogue is forgetting the druid is a *hybrid* so it is also druid
gear. *Especially* if that druid has put some points into his feral spec and
may even be building an attack power set of armor for when he is in cat
form. That druid has as much right to "rogue gear" as any rogue. Just like
has as much right to a staff or mace that drops which gives +## to healing
spells. If Blizzard had meant +## attack power gear to *only* be meant for
rogues then they would have restricted it to rogues.

If you go through an instance with a group and everyone plays their roles
well and that druid keeps you healed and alive while you do your big DPS,
then he has as much right to any piece of gear he can wear that you do.

Hung Up on Stuff?

Finally, if you are quibbling over some illusionary *stuff* that only exists
virtually, in a game, on your screen, then maybe you should step back for a
moment and think about this. In the real world the acquisition of *stuff*
(land, money, toys, etc.) causes more pain, wars, death, and just plain
general unhappiness than any other desire. From the day we are born we are
programmed to want stuff and not be happy until we have better stuff and
more stuff. Challenge your programming. It's easier to do in games so give
it a try. Try being in the moment and enjoying the play more and the outcome
less. Oh it's neat and fun to collect these virtual items that make your
character more effective. But what about enjoying the trip?

lab wrote:
> "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> <snipped nice write-up>
> > If you go through an instance with a group and everyone plays their roles
> > well and that druid keeps you healed and alive while you do your big DPS,
> > then he has as much right to any piece of gear he can wear that you do.
>
> Yes and no.
> I don't play Rogue or Druid, but try and see it from a Rogues point of view.
> He has no other options... he "is" DPS... he cannot heal, he cannot tank. If
> it was a guild situation I'd allow the Rogue first dibs on any high attack
> power or agility leather, though a feral druid would (I agree) benefit
> greatly from those peices. Disclaimer: Need before greed.

Following that thread through leads to a shitty life for a Druid. Only
getting tanking gear if there are no tanks who need it, only getting
healing gear if there are no priests who need it and only getting DPS
gear if there are no Rogues or Hunters who need it. Any +int and +spi
items go to mana users first because Druids can do melee DPS and don't
need mana. Second rate stuff for the Druid who follows that principle.

For me the "need" in "Need before Greed" means that the person who says
N and wins puts it on straight away because it is an upgrade for the
item it replaces.

steve.kaye

In article <GMBTe.7165$Rd7.3518@fe11.lga>, "Stinger" <dwa14@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> ............Well.. i just got level 30.. and LIFE IS GREAT! can it possible
> get any better? :)
> Travel Form IS GREAT

It gets better :)

Lvl 49.6

--
Nabuu, Tauren druid on Dethecus.
Also (rarely):

Christian Stauffer wrote:
> "steve.kaye" <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > lab wrote:
> >> "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> >> <snipped nice write-up>
> >>
> >> Yes and no.
> >> I don't play Rogue or Druid, but try and see it from a Rogues point of view.
> >> He has no other options... he "is" DPS... he cannot heal, he cannot tank. If
> >> it was a guild situation I'd allow the Rogue first dibs on any high attack
> >> power or agility leather, though a feral druid would (I agree) benefit
> >> greatly from those peices. Disclaimer: Need before greed.
> >
> > Following that thread through leads to a shitty life for a Druid. Only
> > getting tanking gear if there are no tanks who need it
>
> Depends on your team and whether you're going to explain. I rolled on the
> amulet of grand marshall morris in a Stratholme run of a pickup group
> where I was healing, and noone had a problem with that. (Ok, this may be
> due to the fact that most warriors on my server are PvP specced and
> not really into that kind of gear).
>
> > only getting healing gear if there are no priests who need it
>
> And that point is totally wrong: Druids are one of the rarest classes
> (on my server: THE rarest), so if a _leather_ piece drops with +int/
> +spi/+healing, you're very likely to get it without even rolling.

Yeah, you are right - I didn't think about the fact that priests want
cloth and druids want leather. (not played any class past level 15
except hunters)

steve.kaye

"Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote:

> (2) Only a person himself can determine how much something is valuable to
> themselves. No one else can make this judgement call. It is foolish for you
> to assume you know everything about that person. For all you know, he was a
> feral spec druid and he had gone through this instance 100 times and had
> passed on that item every time it dropped in the past and figured he paid
> his dues and it was time to roll.

He should have gone to UBRS to get Truestrike Shoulders in half the time.
Sorry, but the aforementioned shoulders are no big benefit for a druid, but
a huge benefit for a rogue. No, agi is no big thing for druids. This will
change with the upcoming patch, though.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (60) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (18) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

"Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
<snipped nice write-up>
> If you go through an instance with a group and everyone plays their roles
> well and that druid keeps you healed and alive while you do your big DPS,
> then he has as much right to any piece of gear he can wear that you do.

Yes and no.
I don't play Rogue or Druid, but try and see it from a Rogues point of view.
He has no other options... he "is" DPS... he cannot heal, he cannot tank. If
it was a guild situation I'd allow the Rogue first dibs on any high attack
power or agility leather, though a feral druid would (I agree) benefit
greatly from those peices. Disclaimer: Need before greed.

> Hung Up on Stuff?
>
> Finally, if you are quibbling over some illusionary *stuff* that only
> exists virtually, in a game, on your screen, then maybe you should step
> back for a moment and think about this. In the real world the acquisition
> of *stuff* (land, money, toys, etc.) causes more pain, wars, death, and
> just plain general unhappiness than any other desire. From the day we are
> born we are programmed to want stuff and not be happy until we have better
> stuff and more stuff. Challenge your programming. It's easier to do in
> games so give it a try. Try being in the moment and enjoying the play more
> and the outcome less. Oh it's neat and fun to collect these virtual items
> that make your character more effective. But what about enjoying the trip?

In the real world or in a game I find it hard to turn a blind eye to someone
that is being rude or selfish. I must say though, it is very easy to
misinterpret things when the only way of communicating is via a chat box, so
staying cool and discussing things calmly is very important.

"steve.kaye" <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:

> lab wrote:
>> "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>> <snipped nice write-up>
>> > If you go through an instance with a group and everyone plays their roles
>> > well and that druid keeps you healed and alive while you do your big DPS,
>> > then he has as much right to any piece of gear he can wear that you do.
>>
>> Yes and no.
>> I don't play Rogue or Druid, but try and see it from a Rogues point of view.
>> He has no other options... he "is" DPS... he cannot heal, he cannot tank. If
>> it was a guild situation I'd allow the Rogue first dibs on any high attack
>> power or agility leather, though a feral druid would (I agree) benefit
>> greatly from those peices. Disclaimer: Need before greed.
>
> Following that thread through leads to a shitty life for a Druid. Only
> getting tanking gear if there are no tanks who need it

Depends on your team and whether you're going to explain. I rolled on the
amulet of grand marshall morris in a Stratholme run of a pickup group
where I was healing, and noone had a problem with that. (Ok, this may be
due to the fact that most warriors on my server are PvP specced and
not really into that kind of gear).

> only getting healing gear if there are no priests who need it

And that point is totally wrong: Druids are one of the rarest classes
(on my server: THE rarest), so if a _leather_ piece drops with +int/
+spi/+healing, you're very likely to get it without even rolling.

I wouldn't roll on cloth stuff (except if none of the clothies wanted
it), because there is more than enough leather equipment for my
healer gear, while cloth users have to share their drops between 3
classes (priests, mages, locks).

I never had problems when rolling on other items (rings, amulets,
weapons) that are designed for casters - people expect druids to be
healers.

> For me the "need" in "Need before Greed" means that the person who says
> N and wins puts it on straight away because it is an upgrade for the
> item it replaces.

My opinion: If an item is a clear upgrade to you, it's a need roll. You
may pass if you see another person can get greater benefit out of that
item, but that should be appreciated and not expected.

However, if someone rolls on an item he get's close to nothing from
while another player would give his left leg for it (as the shoulders
in this thread), it wouldn't make a great impression of that player.

Chris

--

"Christian Stauffer" <wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote in message
> "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote:
>
>> (2) Only a person himself can determine how much something is valuable to
>> themselves. No one else can make this judgement call. It is foolish for you
>> to assume you know everything about that person. For all you know, he was a
>> feral spec druid and he had gone through this instance 100 times and had
>> passed on that item every time it dropped in the past and figured he paid his
>> dues and it was time to roll.
>
> He should have gone to UBRS to get Truestrike Shoulders in half the time.
> Sorry, but the aforementioned shoulders are no big benefit for a druid, but
> a huge benefit for a rogue. No, agi is no big thing for druids.

Exactly why it surprised me so much, and pissed me off after the shock
wore off. Thank you for pointing that out to the ignorant.
-Marshall