The Life of a Druid

.............Well.. i just got level 30.. and LIFE IS GREAT! can it possible
get any better? :)
Travel Form IS GREAT
12 answers Last reply
More about life druid

    You mean you kill slower than my Disc/Holy priest? The agony!

    Am Wed, 07 Sep 2005 09:18:27 -0400 schrieb Stinger:

    > ............Well.. i just got level 30.. and LIFE IS GREAT! can it possible
    > get any better? :)
    > Travel Form IS GREAT

    no, it only gets worse. you will kill mobs slower than anyone else, will
    only be invited to groups to healbot, while youre not allowed to roll on
    rogue items else they call you a ninja.

    "sandy" <sandy@nospam.org> wrote:

    > Am Wed, 07 Sep 2005 09:18:27 -0400 schrieb Stinger:
    >
    >> ............Well.. i just got level 30.. and LIFE IS GREAT! can it possible
    >> get any better? :)
    >> Travel Form IS GREAT

    /pat Kodo

    > no, it only gets worse

    Huh?

    > you will kill mobs slower than anyone else

    True. That's what groups are for :o)

    > will only be invited to groups to healbot

    Nah, get a guild.

    > while youre not allowed to roll on
    > rogue items else they call you a ninja.

    Sounds like you need a new server. European? How about
    Sunstrider?

    Seriously: I've never been called a ninja, and half my current
    feral equipment is from pickup groups in UBRS. It helps to talk
    with the people, though. If someone would call me a ninja for
    rolling on an item that's a huge upgrade for my tanking gear,
    because he doesn't have a clue of the benefit I get out of that
    item, well... bad for his blood pressure, but not my problem.

    Chris

    --
    [WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (60) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
    Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (18) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

    Congrats!
    Playing a druid can be very very rewarding and fun or frustrating, depending
    on many factors.
    It is not an easy class to play well if you are ambitious.
    But if you just want to be a healer then it is not too difficult.
    If you want to be a great duelist and/or PVP player with your druid, then I
    highly recommend doing a lot of reading on forums and a lot of practicing.
    READ THE FORUMS
    There are some great posts out there by players who ROCK with a druid.
    And yes, one other poster here mentioned you will get some flack by rogues
    when/if you ever try to roll on gear that *seems* to be made for rogues.
    I say *seems* because... ok I'll post my rant on gear in another msg on this
    thread.
    --
    Scotter
    60 Druid on Laughing Skull

    What the Hell is a Hybrid?

    Druids are a hybrid class. What does this mean? A druid is a combination of
    many classes. They can do many things quite well but not quite as well as
    the copied class. Note: Paladins and Shamans are also considered "hybrids"
    by Blizzard.

    In other words:

    (a) A druid, fully "feral" spec can DPS (damage per second) *somewhere near*
    (about 70%) as well as a same-level and same-equipped rogue -- this is
    debateable;

    (b) a druid, fully "feral" spec and with tanking gear can tank *somewhere
    near* as well as a same-level warrior; and

    (c) a druid, fully "resto" spec and with heal/mana gear can heal *almost* as
    well as a same-level priest.

    The point is that a druid can be *equally* adept at any of these three
    roles, depending on where he puts his talent points and what armor he wears.
    EQUALLY. In other words, druids do not HAVE to be purely healers! Priests
    are healers. Warriors are tanks. Rogues are DPS. A druid is none of those
    things and not as good at any of those things as the main class is. Druids
    are hybrids; a combination.

    The Meat of the Matter: GEAR

    Let's talk about picking up gear in instances. You have a party that
    consists of the typical classes and you kill a few bosses together. Everyone
    plays their roles well. The rogue does his poisoning, stunlocks, saps, and
    DPS. The druid buffs, debuffs, DOTs, heals, roots, plays support tank when
    needed, support DPS at other times, and quickly bring down stray runners
    with moonfire. Everyone contributes their share. You get to a point where a
    certain leather item with +## Attack Power drops. The druid rolls on the
    item. He wins. The rogue is upset because he thinks, "Hey if something has
    +##, that means it is rogue gear." In a way he is right. It IS rogue gear.
    But the rogue is forgetting the druid is a *hybrid* so it is also druid
    gear. *Especially* if that druid has put some points into his feral spec and
    may even be building an attack power set of armor for when he is in cat
    form. That druid has as much right to "rogue gear" as any rogue. Just like
    has as much right to a staff or mace that drops which gives +## to healing
    spells. If Blizzard had meant +## attack power gear to *only* be meant for
    rogues then they would have restricted it to rogues.

    If you go through an instance with a group and everyone plays their roles
    well and that druid keeps you healed and alive while you do your big DPS,
    then he has as much right to any piece of gear he can wear that you do.

    Hung Up on Stuff?

    Finally, if you are quibbling over some illusionary *stuff* that only exists
    virtually, in a game, on your screen, then maybe you should step back for a
    moment and think about this. In the real world the acquisition of *stuff*
    (land, money, toys, etc.) causes more pain, wars, death, and just plain
    general unhappiness than any other desire. From the day we are born we are
    programmed to want stuff and not be happy until we have better stuff and
    more stuff. Challenge your programming. It's easier to do in games so give
    it a try. Try being in the moment and enjoying the play more and the outcome
    less. Oh it's neat and fun to collect these virtual items that make your
    character more effective. But what about enjoying the trip?

    lab wrote:
    > "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    > <snipped nice write-up>
    > > If you go through an instance with a group and everyone plays their roles
    > > well and that druid keeps you healed and alive while you do your big DPS,
    > > then he has as much right to any piece of gear he can wear that you do.
    >
    > Yes and no.
    > I don't play Rogue or Druid, but try and see it from a Rogues point of view.
    > He has no other options... he "is" DPS... he cannot heal, he cannot tank. If
    > it was a guild situation I'd allow the Rogue first dibs on any high attack
    > power or agility leather, though a feral druid would (I agree) benefit
    > greatly from those peices. Disclaimer: Need before greed.

    Following that thread through leads to a shitty life for a Druid. Only
    getting tanking gear if there are no tanks who need it, only getting
    healing gear if there are no priests who need it and only getting DPS
    gear if there are no Rogues or Hunters who need it. Any +int and +spi
    items go to mana users first because Druids can do melee DPS and don't
    need mana. Second rate stuff for the Druid who follows that principle.

    For me the "need" in "Need before Greed" means that the person who says
    N and wins puts it on straight away because it is an upgrade for the
    item it replaces.

    steve.kaye

    In article <GMBTe.7165$Rd7.3518@fe11.lga>, "Stinger" <dwa14@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    > ............Well.. i just got level 30.. and LIFE IS GREAT! can it possible
    > get any better? :)
    > Travel Form IS GREAT

    It gets better :)

    Lvl 49.6

    --
    Nabuu, Tauren druid on Dethecus.
    Also (rarely):

    Christian Stauffer wrote:
    > "steve.kaye" <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > > lab wrote:
    > >> "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    > >> <snipped nice write-up>
    > >>
    > >> Yes and no.
    > >> I don't play Rogue or Druid, but try and see it from a Rogues point of view.
    > >> He has no other options... he "is" DPS... he cannot heal, he cannot tank. If
    > >> it was a guild situation I'd allow the Rogue first dibs on any high attack
    > >> power or agility leather, though a feral druid would (I agree) benefit
    > >> greatly from those peices. Disclaimer: Need before greed.
    > >
    > > Following that thread through leads to a shitty life for a Druid. Only
    > > getting tanking gear if there are no tanks who need it
    >
    > Depends on your team and whether you're going to explain. I rolled on the
    > amulet of grand marshall morris in a Stratholme run of a pickup group
    > where I was healing, and noone had a problem with that. (Ok, this may be
    > due to the fact that most warriors on my server are PvP specced and
    > not really into that kind of gear).
    >
    > > only getting healing gear if there are no priests who need it
    >
    > And that point is totally wrong: Druids are one of the rarest classes
    > (on my server: THE rarest), so if a _leather_ piece drops with +int/
    > +spi/+healing, you're very likely to get it without even rolling.

    Yeah, you are right - I didn't think about the fact that priests want
    cloth and druids want leather. (not played any class past level 15
    except hunters)

    steve.kaye

    "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote:

    > (2) Only a person himself can determine how much something is valuable to
    > themselves. No one else can make this judgement call. It is foolish for you
    > to assume you know everything about that person. For all you know, he was a
    > feral spec druid and he had gone through this instance 100 times and had
    > passed on that item every time it dropped in the past and figured he paid
    > his dues and it was time to roll.

    He should have gone to UBRS to get Truestrike Shoulders in half the time.
    Sorry, but the aforementioned shoulders are no big benefit for a druid, but
    a huge benefit for a rogue. No, agi is no big thing for druids. This will
    change with the upcoming patch, though.

    Chris

    --
    [WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (60) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
    Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (18) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

    "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    <snipped nice write-up>
    > If you go through an instance with a group and everyone plays their roles
    > well and that druid keeps you healed and alive while you do your big DPS,
    > then he has as much right to any piece of gear he can wear that you do.

    Yes and no.
    I don't play Rogue or Druid, but try and see it from a Rogues point of view.
    He has no other options... he "is" DPS... he cannot heal, he cannot tank. If
    it was a guild situation I'd allow the Rogue first dibs on any high attack
    power or agility leather, though a feral druid would (I agree) benefit
    greatly from those peices. Disclaimer: Need before greed.

    > Hung Up on Stuff?
    >
    > Finally, if you are quibbling over some illusionary *stuff* that only
    > exists virtually, in a game, on your screen, then maybe you should step
    > back for a moment and think about this. In the real world the acquisition
    > of *stuff* (land, money, toys, etc.) causes more pain, wars, death, and
    > just plain general unhappiness than any other desire. From the day we are
    > born we are programmed to want stuff and not be happy until we have better
    > stuff and more stuff. Challenge your programming. It's easier to do in
    > games so give it a try. Try being in the moment and enjoying the play more
    > and the outcome less. Oh it's neat and fun to collect these virtual items
    > that make your character more effective. But what about enjoying the trip?

    In the real world or in a game I find it hard to turn a blind eye to someone
    that is being rude or selfish. I must say though, it is very easy to
    misinterpret things when the only way of communicating is via a chat box, so
    staying cool and discussing things calmly is very important.

    "steve.kaye" <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:

    > lab wrote:
    >> "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    >> <snipped nice write-up>
    >> > If you go through an instance with a group and everyone plays their roles
    >> > well and that druid keeps you healed and alive while you do your big DPS,
    >> > then he has as much right to any piece of gear he can wear that you do.
    >>
    >> Yes and no.
    >> I don't play Rogue or Druid, but try and see it from a Rogues point of view.
    >> He has no other options... he "is" DPS... he cannot heal, he cannot tank. If
    >> it was a guild situation I'd allow the Rogue first dibs on any high attack
    >> power or agility leather, though a feral druid would (I agree) benefit
    >> greatly from those peices. Disclaimer: Need before greed.
    >
    > Following that thread through leads to a shitty life for a Druid. Only
    > getting tanking gear if there are no tanks who need it

    Depends on your team and whether you're going to explain. I rolled on the
    amulet of grand marshall morris in a Stratholme run of a pickup group
    where I was healing, and noone had a problem with that. (Ok, this may be
    due to the fact that most warriors on my server are PvP specced and
    not really into that kind of gear).

    > only getting healing gear if there are no priests who need it

    And that point is totally wrong: Druids are one of the rarest classes
    (on my server: THE rarest), so if a _leather_ piece drops with +int/
    +spi/+healing, you're very likely to get it without even rolling.

    I wouldn't roll on cloth stuff (except if none of the clothies wanted
    it), because there is more than enough leather equipment for my
    healer gear, while cloth users have to share their drops between 3
    classes (priests, mages, locks).

    I never had problems when rolling on other items (rings, amulets,
    weapons) that are designed for casters - people expect druids to be
    healers.

    > For me the "need" in "Need before Greed" means that the person who says
    > N and wins puts it on straight away because it is an upgrade for the
    > item it replaces.

    My opinion: If an item is a clear upgrade to you, it's a need roll. You
    may pass if you see another person can get greater benefit out of that
    item, but that should be appreciated and not expected.

    However, if someone rolls on an item he get's close to nothing from
    while another player would give his left leg for it (as the shoulders
    in this thread), it wouldn't make a great impression of that player.

    Chris

    --

    "Christian Stauffer" <wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote in message
    > "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote:
    >
    >> (2) Only a person himself can determine how much something is valuable to
    >> themselves. No one else can make this judgement call. It is foolish for you
    >> to assume you know everything about that person. For all you know, he was a
    >> feral spec druid and he had gone through this instance 100 times and had
    >> passed on that item every time it dropped in the past and figured he paid his
    >> dues and it was time to roll.
    >
    > He should have gone to UBRS to get Truestrike Shoulders in half the time.
    > Sorry, but the aforementioned shoulders are no big benefit for a druid, but
    > a huge benefit for a rogue. No, agi is no big thing for druids.

    Exactly why it surprised me so much, and pissed me off after the shock
    wore off. Thank you for pointing that out to the ignorant.
    -Marshall

Warcraft Games Video Games