question about damaged/recovered .jpg files

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 18, 2005 7:06:42 PM

Hi everyone

I accidentally deleted 15 or so .jpg file off of a 256MB xD card. The
photos were taken with a Fuji A340 camera. I used a recovery program
that I got off download.com to undelete the pictures. 14 of the 15
were recovered fine, but the last one seems to be damaged. The
recovery program actually recovered 5 very slightly different version
of the same photo, each with just a bit less or a bit more of the
picture.

When I open any of those 5 files in a graphics program, the bottom half
is blank. The top half is ok, with a bit of noise/garbling right in
the middle. The odd thing to me is that the picture previews like it's
intact, both in Windows Explorer and in programs like Ulead
PhotoExplorer and Adobe Photoshop Elements.

Is the preview data stored seaparately in the file? If it is, I
suppose that would explain why it previews ok. If it isn't, is there
any way for me to recover more of the image? I have not used the xD
card since I ran the recovery program.
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 4:45:51 AM

<trevor_smithson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone
>
> I accidentally deleted 15 or so .jpg file off of a 256MB xD card. The
> photos were taken with a Fuji A340 camera. I used a recovery program
> that I got off download.com to undelete the pictures. 14 of the 15
> were recovered fine, but the last one seems to be damaged. The
> recovery program actually recovered 5 very slightly different version
> of the same photo, each with just a bit less or a bit more of the
> picture.
>
> When I open any of those 5 files in a graphics program, the bottom half
> is blank. The top half is ok, with a bit of noise/garbling right in
> the middle. The odd thing to me is that the picture previews like it's
> intact, both in Windows Explorer and in programs like Ulead
> PhotoExplorer and Adobe Photoshop Elements.
>
> Is the preview data stored seaparately in the file? If it is, I
> suppose that would explain why it previews ok. If it isn't, is there
> any way for me to recover more of the image? I have not used the xD
> card since I ran the recovery program.

I suspect your preview supposition is correct. You might try another
recovery program. I use PhotoRescue, but it costs to register. I believe
these are more than just undelete programs. PhotoRescue has a mode that does
a more thorough scan, but I've never had need for that.
Dave Cohen
!