Sign in with
Your question

Crash: Black screen then sound glitch

Last response: in Systems
September 6, 2012 1:32:04 AM

When playing games (mostly while gaming) my computer will crash and black screen, about 5 secs after the crash the sound will glitch and continue to glitch until I do a hard reset. I have had this pc for around a month now and the problems have only started this week.

processor: FX-4 4100 @3.6 stock clock
cpu fan: cooler master hyper 212 plus
gpu: xfx 6870 stock clock
mobo: asus M5A97 PRO
psu: Corsair builder series cx 600w
ram: corsair vengeance 2 x 4GB

Already performed a memtest, came up with no errors.
Updated bios and video drivers.

Noticed the crashed most when playing Guild Wars 2, sometimes crashes while browsing the internet but rarely.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 6, 2012 2:43:20 AM

Have you monitored your CPU and GPU temps? I would just make sure they check out. You can always check the event viewer right after a crash and see if anything shows up. Go to Start/Windows button then the search/run box and type "event viewer".Look in the Windows Log under Application and System.

Does the glitching happen when it reboots into windows or doesn't it get that far?
m
l
September 6, 2012 3:01:40 AM

I have had, and solved, a similar issue, where the system would lock tight and sound would screech at odd times while playing games.

The video card was the culprit, but indirectly. It was an Asus 6870 which I had put a heavy overclock on. It had a great cooler--for the video card, anyway--but it dumped heat into the case...and right onto the X-Fi a couple of slots down. When the sound card got hot enough the system would crash.

Putting a slot fan between them resolved the issue. Your mileage may vary, but since your problem reminded me of this, I thought I'd share.
m
l
Related resources
September 6, 2012 1:36:45 PM

jay2tall said:
Have you monitored your CPU and GPU temps? I would just make sure they check out. You can always check the event viewer right after a crash and see if anything shows up. Go to Start/Windows button then the search/run box and type "event viewer".Look in the Windows Log under Application and System.

Does the glitching happen when it reboots into windows or doesn't it get that far?

I can reboot and the computer works fine. There is no event in the event view other than an unexpected shutdown. However I have found that my cpu cooler is running at around 500 rpm even though it is supposed to run much faster.

Also, what software do you recommend for monitoring cpu and gpu temp? I have used coretemp but it just says that the temps are 10 which I dont think is right
m
l
September 6, 2012 1:53:46 PM

For monitoring software, I use Aida64...it's not free but it is the best I have found so far.

If you are wanting free, you might also check out openhardwaremonitor.org.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 6, 2012 2:31:04 PM

I use OCCT to watch temps and also do system stress tests.

500RPM is really low. I'd check your fan setting in your BIOS and maybe disable it so it runs at 100% or set to a standard setting. 500RPM might be fine for idle, but should ramp up when its hit hard.
m
l
!