How Can I Keep My GPU Cool Without Liquid Cooling?

whosBlu

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
My Gaming Rig Build is coming up and i want to keep my GPU at low Temps but i dont trust myself with liquid cooling... Any Ideas other than loads of ventilation and Fans

Thanks in advance!

-JP

nsouter853

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
You won't really need to worry about your GPU's heat as long as you haven't overclocked it and you have a decent case. I never have, and mine is fine. If it overheats you can probably just activate the warranty or whatever; these cards are designed to NOT overheat.

Avyaya

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
Well I have heard a lot about the cooler master's HAF series. and honestly with those two big ass 200mm fans, I think yea, you should be alright in terms of default airflow... you still might want to get some aftermarket chassis fans though. I don't know really where all you may be able to install the, but they would be pretty neat too.

When it comes to air-cooling cards theres only so much case fans can do to keep it cool. Their job is to remove hot air from and supply fresh air to the internals, not directly cooling the components. So once you have enough airflow, more wont do anything.
So get a GPU with a good cooler and make sure that there's sufficient airflow. You cant do more than that short of cooling down the room temperature.

Avyaya

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
Hey manofchalk, I know this is someone else's thread, but tell me, I got an antec P280 with 2 intake and 3 exhaust fans with one with a radiator connected, I wanted to know whether my GPU would stay cool or not, its a Sapphire 7970 Vapor X and my ambient temperatures (due to almost 24/7 Air conditioning) stays around 11-15 degs

Whats the radiator for? I'm guessing your CPU is under some kind of CLC water-cooling?

Depends on the fans, how fast they are running and whether airflow is impeded in any way (which means do your cable management right). You can test for sufficient airflow by stress testing the machine with the side panel on and off. If there's a significant drop in temps with the panel off, you have airflow issues.

Avyaya

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013

Well I am using an antec Kuhler H20 620 with a push pull config and I really doubt that there is anything impeding me airflow, using an antec P280 as i said and mobo's operating temps are averaging at about 35-37 as the ambient temp right now is close to 35 itself. CPU temps are at an average of mid 30's to low 40's when not gaming and after about two to three hours of DiRT3 my temps are averaging low 60's to a mid 60's my GPU doesn't generally go over 45 or so, stays even lower on light to no load, at a cosy 37-38 on a 150MHz overclock.

All my fans are 120mm front fans are bitfenix spectre and chassis fans are stock antec 120mm two speed fans, also i hooked up the radiator on the rear exhaust fan with another fan for the over push pull config. I'll post a pic if needed