Core i5 or AMD A10 APU? HALP!

I duno anymore. I've been trying to build my own pc for the first time and I'm running into a processor problem. One of my coworkers has his own side business building his own PC. I was thinking about getting a Core i5 3570K and a decent motherboard under $100. Yet my friend is telling me that I should get an AMD processor that is more stable. Okay, whatever that means. Now I have always been a big AMD fan, as it did provide the GPU for my GameCube. :bounce: But for game performance, I'm not seeing AMD as a liable option. I'm trying to make a decent/midrange gaming pc (note: I'm getting the graphics card a few months after...school priorities and all).

I have made a decent PC online with 16gb ram, core i5 processor and a bunch of other basic stuff. But my main problem is the processor...especially what my friend keeps telling me. He says that I'm better off getting an AMD A10 or A8 APU for games. He says that Intel is a lot more unstable and is not worth it. He also said it does not make sense to overclock a computer over 3.4ghz because it doesn't bring any real benefits. I'm also not sure if he's just an AMD fanboy.

I'm so lost on what to do right now. Can someone help me out? I need some good, concrete information wihtout a lot of bias. Thanks
13 answers Last reply
More about core halp
  1. AMD CPU's are no more "stable" than Intel.

    If you are only going to use on-chip graphics, the A10 will perform better than the i5. (For gaming)

    Once you start using a nice graphics card, the i5 will do better.

    So, how long do you intend to run without a dedicated graphics card, and how much of a graphics card do you intend to get when you get one?

    Basically, the i5 is a stronger processor with weaker built-in graphics.
  2. You'd be better off with the Intel i5 for gaming, if you're getting a dedicated GPU. an APU is only worth it if you're building an incredibly small machine and have no room for a graphics card. An APU also prevents bottlenecking, but processors very seldom bottleneck a graphics card.
    Your friend is just an AMD fanboy (coming from an AMD fanboy) and you really should go with the 3570k and overclock it, because it does have performance benefits.
    EDIT: If you're only gaming, and not doing anything extremely processor intensive, like stuff that relies more on a graphics card, an 8350 will you do you just as well, and save you enough money for a good soundcard. My 8350 runs at 30-35% average on a 64player Battlefield server.
  3. Z1NONLY said:
    AMD CPU's are no more "stable" than Intel.

    If you are only going to use on-chip graphics, the A10 will perform better than the i5. (For gaming)

    Once you start using a nice graphics card, the i5 will do better.

    So, how long do you intend to run without a dedicated graphics card, and how much of a graphics card do you intend to get when you get one?

    Basically, the i5 is a stronger processor with weaker built-in graphics.

    In about 6 months. I actually need a computer now, so I just wanted to get a good CPU for the future. I would get a good graphics card now, but I might have a study abroad opportunity this summer so I must budget wisely...
  4. The Indomitable said:
    You'd be better off with the Intel i5 for gaming, if you're getting a dedicated GPU. an APU is only worth it if you're building an incredibly small machine and have no room for a graphics card. An APU also prevents bottlenecking, but processors very seldom bottleneck a graphics card.
    Your friend is just an AMD fanboy (coming from an AMD fanboy) and you really should go with the 3570k and overclock it, because it does have performance benefits.

    Lol, okay. I was just trying to confirm that. The main thing for me is the $180 pricetag @ Microcenter is kinda of hard to resist.
  5. Do you have a graphics card from an old computer you can strip out? If so, do that, but if you won't be really gaming until you get a graphics card (mostly work), Intel Graphics 4000 will do you just fine.
  6. linkgx1 said:
    Lol, okay. I was just trying to confirm that. The main thing for me is the $180 pricetag @ Microcenter is kinda of hard to resist.



    $180 for what combo?
  7. The Indomitable said:
    Do you have a graphics card from an old computer you can strip out? If so, do that, but if you won't be really gaming until you get a graphics card (mostly work), Intel Graphics 4000 will do you just fine.

    Omg, I haven't had a computer with a gpu in it since.....

    Oh, God. I do have a graphics card. But it's a NVIDIA GeForce 3 Ti500!
  8. Z1NONLY said:
    $180 for what combo?

    http://www.microcenter.com/product/388577/Core_i5_3570K_34GHz_LGA_1155_Processor

    Well, just the processor.
  9. Certainly i5 3570k > AMD A10... If you will be using a dedicated one. And you say after a few months you will get one, so it's worth the wait! Intel 4000 isn't too bad if you won't game a lot until that time anyway..

    It would just be a loss of money to buy an A10 now with a dedicated GPU you will be getting..

    Like someone else mentioned before, you could also get the 8350, which looks like a pretty decent CPU but it will be probably the best thing to go with intel if you have the budget! ^^

    EDIT: Scrap the 8350, that deal looks good!
  10. That deal gets you right at the 8350's pricing.

    If you are primarily gaming. the i5 at that price is the way to go. (Just have to rough-it-out while you wait on a real GPU.)
  11. The 8350 is/was $5 cheaper until...yesterday? Newegg really needs to update their site...
    But if you can get a 3570k for that price, don't even second-guess it.
  12. APU is only good for people that does not have any plans of buying a Graphics Card. but if you do, i5 is a way better choice.
  13. You can buy the upcoming a10 6800k. It's got better graphics and you can xfire it with a dedicated amd graphic card later when you are ready. That should give you a nice performance boost.

    But remember, while buying a new graphic card, always check if its xfirable and buy a motherboard that supports xfire. Any new fm2 motherboard would support it so you shouldn't worry about that.

    Frankly speaking, amd 10 6800/5800k should do fine for even powerful games, and the costly intel and nvidia combos are most likely an overkill to a game.

    Well, NFS mw2 plays nice on a10!!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Intel i5 Processors