DaClatso

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Hello Guys

Recently I bought MSI Intel G41M-SP20 ddr3 motherboard and replaced the old ddr2 motherboard I had, the problem now is that ever since I put the new mobo my PC have been lagging so bad when playing games like Battlefield 3, Far Cry 3 or GTA IV dropping to 10 fps just after 5 minutes of game-play, all drivers are up to date but still the lagging continues. The PC will sometimes work fine then all of a sudden after 30-40 minutes of gaming it freezes making a funny sound and I have to do manual reboot.

Here are my specs:

MSI Intel G41M-SP20
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650
4GB DDR3 PATRIOT RAM
GeForce GTX 550 Ti Cyclone II OC Edition
450 Watts PSU (bought with the casing)

Please help me to solve this problem

neo_classical

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
The only thing I can think of is your power supply. Generally ones that come with a case don't tend to be amazingly good quality. For the 550Ti, it recommends 400W. However, whilst yours is 450W, I don't know how efficient yours is.
As such, when your graphics card is being stretched in games, it will draw more power. As it heats up, the fans will spin faster to keep it cooler, again drawing a little more power.
Therefore, all I can narrow it down to is that and I believe you will keep getting these lags until the system freezes until you replace it.
Any other suggestions from anyone else?

samucaninja

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Nope: it is, for sure, the power supply, or higher cpu temperatures.

You can have sure by, thru. windows menus, limit the utilization of cpu, to not go for more than 80% of utilization (example).

Try also to reduce graphic details, and check you cpu temperature. If it is reaching more than it can handles, the cpu starts to turn off some of its features (then lagging starts) and as this not reduces the temperature, cpu freezes, and you need to restart your computer.

DaClatso

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
My cpu temperature is going up to 70 degrees when playing demanding games like Far Cry 3 or Battlefield 3, I did a benchmark on the GPU on MSI Kombustor and it seems like its maxing up to 92 degrees within 10 minutes and the it crashes... So if this is lack power flow what great power supply will I have to buy?

clintwilks

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

if your GFX card is heating up to 92c that quickly, then your airflow in your case probably is horrible too. what's your fan setup or ventilation in your case? how much dust is on that card and yoru components? if you just have that 450w psu and its as inefficient as you are saying, it shouldn't be expensive whatsoever to find one that can power a 550ti and a Q9650...u ould probably even find one on craigslist for 20 and test it before you go...or spend 40 and get a cooler master 500w or a budget psu for now... depending on your cash flow. but id also look at your airflow set up as well bro.

you're kind of in a crappy circle because if you add more fans, more power draw. higher gfx fan speed = more power draw. so basically, upgrading your PSU should solve it...i'd like to know what case you have though. but for now, you dont really have much of a permanent solution until you get a better psu and possibly a better airflow setup.