Sign in with
Your question

Opinions and recommendations for my new build.

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
September 6, 2012 3:37:37 AM

Huh, been a while since I've posted here.

Anyway, my PSU recently went kaput--I had a spare, though it's not powerful enough for what I'm planning to buy--and rather than merely replacing that single part, I instead decided to just build an entirely new system, since my current one is quite... ancient. Mid-2008-ish or thereabouts. I will be re-using a number of my current parts, but since I've been out of the loop since then, I'd like some second opinions on the parts I'm looking to buy. Here are my current choices.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz I plan on overclocking it, of course.
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) or Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) The price (after rebate) is making me lean towards the Patriot. I know Patriot is a fairly good brand in general, but has anyone had any experience with the linked Patriot in particular?

GPU: MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 I've read that one can get some pretty monstrous (and stable) overclocks with this card, so I'll obviously be doing that.

PSU: SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply or Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply Leaning towards the Antec, again because of the price after rebate. From what I can gather, these two are more or less the same PSU, though, if I recall, the Seasonic is a newer model that includes higher quality components.

SSD: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk

Monitor: Acer G235HAbd 23'' 5ms 1920x1080 WideScreen LCD monitor (this will be the last purchase, since my current monitor still... works, though it's maximum resolution is low.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I will be reusing my current HDD, optical drive, case, fans, and CPU cooler.

These purchases will be staggered out over the course of the next few months--finances willing--though I do have a rough purchasing order down.

This week: PSU & RAM. Possibly either the SSD or Motherboard.
Second Purchase (Probably mid-late September or thereabouts): GPU
Third Purchase (Late October at the soonest. More likely to be sometime in November): Motherboard (if I don't purchase it this week), CPU, SSD (again, if I don't buy it this week), OS
Fourth Purchase (An indeterminate amount of time after that.): The monitor.

My budget tops out at about $1,200, though I'll certainly be willing (*ahem*) to take advantage of any sales or specials that could lower that price. If it helps, I prefer to go for 'good bang for the buck' parts over 'the best, but also super-expensive' parts.

Oh, and the system will be for gaming. Skyrim (post-texture mods), Batman: Arkham City, and Metro 2033 will be the most demanding games I'll (probably) be playing in the near future.

So, any opinions on the parts or, if possible, alternate recommendations for the parts listed above?

More about : opinions recommendations build

September 6, 2012 4:52:36 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-80PLUS-Certified-Modular-... $86.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair CX 750 Watts 80PLUS Bronze Certified Modular ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply CP-9020015-NA

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $199.98 save: $15.00 FREE SHIPPING
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $258.98 - $10.00 Mail In Rebates save: $11.00 FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PVI38G160C9K

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-2-5-Inch-Solid-SDSSDP-128... $89.95 + $0.00 shipping
SanDisk 128 GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (SDSSDP-128G- G25)

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-N670-... $409.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping | Price after rebate: $399.99
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 OC 2GB GDDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card N670 PE 2GD5/OC

Total: $1,044.90 *not including rebates

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_670_Power_Ed... <---- review w/benchmarks of that MSI GTX 670

http://www.amazon.com/VS228H-P-21-5-Inch-Full-HD-Monito... $134.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
ASUS VS228H-P 21.5-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor (Black) | 50,000,000:1 ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio; Full 1080P with HDMI

http://usa.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VS228HP/ <----- another look at that monitor
Related resources
September 6, 2012 9:20:59 PM

It looks pretty decent to me. One thing I would do differently would be the wattage on the PSU. To me it makes more sense to either go 500w or 750w (or 1000 if you need it) than anything in between.

The reason being, a 500w PSU is fine for any single graphics-card solution. While there are PSU/dual-card combos that will work with 600w, I personally choose the safe route and go with a 750w if I am planning on SLI/Crossfire in the future. So my recommendation would be, either go hard or go home with the PSU. Save some money and get a 500w, or shell out a bit more for a 750w.

Just my opinion. Good choices on the CPU/GPU!
September 6, 2012 9:29:54 PM

Daiyoukai Ramza said:
Huh, been a while since I've posted here.

Anyway, my PSU recently went kaput--I had a spare, though it's not powerful enough for what I'm planning to buy--and rather than merely replacing that single part, I instead decided to just build an entirely new system, since my current one is quite... ancient. Mid-2008-ish or thereabouts. I will be re-using a number of my current parts, but since I've been out of the loop since then, I'd like some second opinions on the parts I'm looking to buy. Here are my current choices.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz I plan on overclocking it, of course.
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) or Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) The price (after rebate) is making me lean towards the Patriot. I know Patriot is a fairly good brand in general, but has anyone had any experience with the linked Patriot in particular?

GPU: MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 I've read that one can get some pretty monstrous (and stable) overclocks with this card, so I'll obviously be doing that.

PSU: SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply or Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply Leaning towards the Antec, again because of the price after rebate. From what I can gather, these two are more or less the same PSU, though, if I recall, the Seasonic is a newer model that includes higher quality components.

SSD: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk

Monitor: Acer G235HAbd 23'' 5ms 1920x1080 WideScreen LCD monitor (this will be the last purchase, since my current monitor still... works, though it's maximum resolution is low.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I will be reusing my current HDD, optical drive, case, fans, and CPU cooler.

These purchases will be staggered out over the course of the next few months--finances willing--though I do have a rough purchasing order down.

This week: PSU & RAM. Possibly either the SSD or Motherboard.
Second Purchase (Probably mid-late September or thereabouts): GPU
Third Purchase (Late October at the soonest. More likely to be sometime in November): Motherboard (if I don't purchase it this week), CPU, SSD (again, if I don't buy it this week), OS
Fourth Purchase (An indeterminate amount of time after that.): The monitor.

My budget tops out at about $1,200, though I'll certainly be willing (*ahem*) to take advantage of any sales or specials that could lower that price. If it helps, I prefer to go for 'good bang for the buck' parts over 'the best, but also super-expensive' parts.

Oh, and the system will be for gaming. Skyrim (post-texture mods), Batman: Arkham City, and Metro 2033 will be the most demanding games I'll (probably) be playing in the near future.

So, any opinions on the parts or, if possible, alternate recommendations for the parts listed above?

Get a i5 3570k, better performance per GHZ and new tech with a Z77 chipset board.
September 6, 2012 9:32:23 PM

nsouter853 said:
It looks pretty decent to me. One thing I would do differently would be the wattage on the PSU. To me it makes more sense to either go 500w or 750w (or 1000 if you need it) than anything in between.

The reason being, a 500w PSU is fine for any single graphics-card solution. While there are PSU/dual-card combos that will work with 600w, I personally choose the safe route and go with a 750w if I am planning on SLI/Crossfire in the future. So my recommendation would be, either go hard or go home with the PSU. Save some money and get a 500w, or shell out a bit more for a 750w.

Just my opinion. Good choices on the CPU/GPU!

He doesn't need anymore than 750watt, 1000 would be way overkill, plus the GPU he has in his build is good enough on it's own so 550w will be perfect.
September 7, 2012 1:35:21 AM

@ why_me: Hm, some interesting recommendations there. I'll definitely keep them in mind.

@ TheBigTroll: My case is a Coolermaster 690. Not a very... showy or pretty case, but it's gotten the job done these past few years. As for my CPU's heatsink, it's a... Xigmatek... *blank look*... er, I seem to have forgotten the exact make, but yeah, you're right, the mounting could be all wrong. Oh well, good quality heatsinks aren't super-expensive.

@nsouter853: Eh, well, I took the plunge and bought the Seasonic already, so there's not much I can do on that front anymore. I recall that Seasonics are generally regarded highly, so I expect that I won't experience any trouble with it. *knocks on wood*

@spat55: I've heard as much. Though, having thought about the processor since my initial post, I'm not entirely sure that I'm even going to overclock it--the GPU definitely, but the processor... eh--and since getting an unlocked processor & Z77 mobo would pretty much be a waste without, ya know, overclocking, perhaps I could, say... go for an i5-3450 or i5-3550 plus an H77 mobo, saving me a bit of cash. When I built my current system, I bought my e8400 with every intention to OC, but I never really felt the need to do so, since it performed well enough at stock. Guess I'm satisfied with 'good enough' when it comes to the processor.

On that note, does anyone have any recommendations for a good, reliable H77 mobo at or below, oh, say... $140?

Thanks for all the answers so far.
September 7, 2012 1:56:54 AM

Daiyoukai Ramza said:
@ why_me: Hm, some interesting recommendations there. I'll definitely keep them in mind.

@ TheBigTroll: My case is a Coolermaster 690. Not a very... showy or pretty case, but it's gotten the job done these past few years. As for my CPU's heatsink, it's a... Xigmatek... *blank look*... er, I seem to have forgotten the exact make, but I just realized that it might not be mountable in the first place, what with being old and all. May have to drop some money on a more modern heatsink or just stick with stock cooling.

@nsouter853: Eh, well, I took the plunge and bought the Seasonic already, so there's not much I can do on that front anymore. I recall that Seasonics are generally regarded highly, so I expect that I won't experience any trouble with it. *knocks on wood*

@spat55: I've heard as much. Though, having thought about the processor since my initial post, I'm not entirely sure that I'm even going to overclock it--the GPU definitely, but the processor... eh--and since getting an unlocked processor & Z77 mobo would pretty much be a waste without, ya know, overclocking, perhaps I could, say... go for an i5-3450 or i5-3550 plus an H77 mobo, saving me a bit of cash. When I built my current system, I bought my e8400 with every intention to OC, but I never really felt the need to do so, since it performed well enough at stock. Guess I'm satisfied with 'good enough' when it comes to the processor.

On that note, does anyone have any recommendations for a good, reliable H77 mobo at or below, oh, say... $140?

Thanks for all the answers so far.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $125.99 FREE SHIPPING
ASUS P8H77-V LE LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
!