Lock mechanism doesn't work on am3 cpu on am3+ board

HBTechnoDude

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
So the problem started when I had to underclock my cpu because it was getting way above reccommended temps idle. Like 80C in amd overdrive. So I got a cooler master 212 evo. When It didn't work after I cleaned the thermal paste off with cotton swabs and alchohol(making sure not to bend the pins and get thermal paste on the pins) I put new thermal paste on it and put the cooler on. It wouldn't boot to bios and I used the advice about going through all the parts and making sure they all worked. It was just working an hour before that though and so I thought I must have messed up the cpu. So I unscrewed the heatsink and lifted it up and it ripped the cpu out bending the pins. I made them almost perfectly straight using a sewing needle.(really effective using the pointy part to make it mostly straight and the hole to finish it). Now when I put the cpu back in I feel like its not going in all of the way. I don't know what to do.... I also made sure I put the corner with the special arrow on the corner with the special arrow on the mobo.
CPU: Phenom x4 965 BE
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3901#ov
The bios is completely updated.
It says "Support for AMD AM3 Phenom™ II processors / AMD Athlon™ II processors "
on their website so....

First and foremost. This might have saved you a lot of trouble. I had the UD5 variant of that exact same motherboard originally, that board, and others are known to get false temp readings from AMD Overdrive for some reason (Overdrive says the cores are substantially hotter than they actually are). Use Hwmonitor for more reliable core temp readings in the future.

As far as the bent pins, how long ago did you buy the system? If you're in the 30 day period, I'd return it. I know that sounds shady right? I had an oopsie with my original Phenom II 975, I dropped it on a granite countertop. I straightened the pins really good it probably would have worked, but I called Newegg and got an RMA anyway (and they accepted it). Of course, I omitted the tale of my oopsie. Unethical? Maybe.

Same deal with the motherboard, I would try them, or go back to Gigabyte if you have to. I really don't like Gigabyte, as you can see in my sig, I don't have that Gigabyte mobo anymore, I'll let you draw your own conclusions on that one.. And no, the Gigabyte motherboard did not suffer from any carelessness on my end.. :lol:

HBTechnoDude

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
I think your right. I used hwmonitor and it gave me 20C cooler. I emailed amd and they said I should get an aftermarket fan. I Might try to send it back though thanks. Also I discovered some thermal paste on the mobo :(. So I wiped it off with alchohol and a q tip. I am trying it right now to see if it works(I let it evaporate). It still doesn't work :( maybe its because of bent socket? idk

Don't tell AMD you were overclocking if you find yourself going through the warranty process with this CPU. Overclocking voids the warranty. They really can't tell unless the CPU shows actual physical damage from burns, unless you volunteer that you did overclock. I wouldn't even tell them you had an aftermarket fan on it, as this might lead them to assume you're overclocking.

The CPU should just drop right into the socket with no force needed other than the weight of the CPU itself. Yes, if it doesn't fit, either the pins are not straight enough or the motherboard socket is damaged.

I'd say its more likely the pins aren't straight. Its not easy to damage a PGA socket. Intel uses LGA (Land Grid array), basically the pins are reversed, the motherboard socket has pins instead of holes. They're fragile as hell.

HBTechnoDude

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

I underclocked it.... does that count? They told me to put an aftermarket fan to reduce temps.
How If I determine that the cpu is the problem(how do I do that) how do I make it so when I ship it back the pins don't bend?

LOL, AMD is lying to you. They want you to use the stock one for warranty purposes however.The stock fans that ship with Phenom IIs to put it bluntly, suck. They're noisy and are barely adequate to cool the CPUs under load @ stock clock rates. Almost any decent aftermarket cooler is an improvement.

There really isn't a way to know if the bent pins on the CPU are the problem short of having another motherboard to try and stick the CPU in.

As far as how to ship it back, don't you have the original packaging it came in? That would be the best way, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if AMD even requires it. But if you don't have it, you're going to have to ship it in something, with some kind of lint-free padding to rest the pins on like what it ships with.