Sign in with
Your question

Please Help me spend my money wisely on gpu

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 18, 2012 10:24:22 PM

Hello,
I have an hp p6 2107c and want to upgrade the graphics card to play graphically intensive games. The computer is all stock parts still. it is considered a mini tower but not a slimline, from what Ive researched. Whats the best graphics card that will fit? How much room around the card do i need to keep from overheating? Thanks in advance for helping me spend my $ wisely.

More about : spend money wisely gpu

a c 191 U Graphics card
a b α HP
July 18, 2012 10:34:17 PM

Well, assuming it has a 300W power supply because its an HP, you have a few options, but not many.

If you want to keep the power supply in there, then you could go for a Radeon HD7750, which would work with your power supply.

If you want to upgrade your power supply, you can put a much more powerful card in there.

What games are you going to be playing and at what res? What's your budget?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 10:50:04 PM

What GPU do you have in there now? I like the 7750 idea. I have to say, even pre built systems with large cases have a hard time fitting new cards in as manufacturers like you to buy a new one, not upgrade it.
m
l
Related resources
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b α HP
July 18, 2012 10:52:37 PM

gidgiddonihah said:
What GPU do you have in there now? I like the 7750 idea. I have to say, even pre built systems with large cases have a hard time fitting new cards in as manufacturers like you to buy a new one, not upgrade it.

Not to mention the poor airflow in many cases like that.

A simple solution that I usually recommend is to get someone who knows their way around a computer, and get a new case and move components. There they would have more breathing room and such. Also, you could upgrade the power supply and the rest of the components much easier.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 11:49:26 PM

I don't know about the newer prebuilt systems as the last one I owned was built 8ish years ago and it used a BTX mobo which would have made moving parts impossible for me. I upgraded my e510 as far as it would go, but that was from a P4 3.2 Ghz to a Pentium D 940 3.2Ghz, from a 7600LE to a 9600GT and from the stock 300 watt PSU to 500 watts, which still wasn't close enough so I ended up building my current system which I want to gut for a new one when I get enough money.
m
l
!