+13 healing with item.. how does that work?

My L29 Druid just got an Orb of Paleth, an off-hand item which
'increases healing +13'.

Not sure what that means - is it worth changing from a 2-handed staff
(with a nice spi bonus) and getting a 1-handed weapon instead? I can't
see how to quantify the benefits.

Thanks

___
Neil
aka HighVis

In <070920051817269660%neil@designumbrella.com> Neil Jones <neil@designumbrella.com> writes:

> My L29 Druid just got an Orb of Paleth, an off-hand item which
> 'increases healing +13'.

> Not sure what that means - is it worth changing from a 2-handed staff
> (with a nice spi bonus) and getting a 1-handed weapon instead? I can't
> see how to quantify the benefits.

It means that any healing spell you cast will heal 13 more health.
(For heal-over-time spells, that's 13 TOTAL health, not 13 per tick.)

--
John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
gordon@panix.com

The same goes for +dmg, for DoT spells? Always the full +, as long as the
instant DoT is longer than 3.5s?

In <vdbuh19vmpih32mqqkndq8sudkj291h29u@4ax.com> Brian <brianmcadam@pobox.com> writes:

> > It means that any healing spell you cast will heal 13 more health.
> > (For heal-over-time spells, that's 13 TOTAL health, not 13 per tick.)

> Almost. It heals UP TO +13. This is dependent on cast-time. A spell
> taking 3.5s or longer will recieve the full benefit of the item. Spells

The Orb of Paleth does indeed say it increases healing by "up to 13."
My bad for not fact-checking the OP.

However, there are other items that just say "+X healing spells".
For example:

Arachnid Gloves of Healing
Binds when picked up
Hands Leather
79 Armor
+10 Nature Resistance
+33 Healing Spells

For this item is the +33 guaranteed, casting time be damned?

--

"John Gordon" <gordon@panix.com> wrote in message
> In <vdbuh19vmpih32mqqkndq8sudkj291h29u@4ax.com> Brian
> <brianmcadam@pobox.com> writes:
>
>> > It means that any healing spell you cast will heal 13 more health.
>> > (For heal-over-time spells, that's 13 TOTAL health, not 13 per tick.)
>
>> Almost. It heals UP TO +13. This is dependent on cast-time. A spell
>> taking 3.5s or longer will recieve the full benefit of the item. Spells
>
> The Orb of Paleth does indeed say it increases healing by "up to 13."
> My bad for not fact-checking the OP.
>
> However, there are other items that just say "+X healing spells".
> For example:
>
> Arachnid Gloves of Healing
> Binds when picked up
> Hands Leather
> 79 Armor
> +10 Nature Resistance
> +33 Healing Spells
>
> For this item is the +33 guaranteed, casting time be damned?

No, all +healing and +damage items are cast time dependent.

In article <vdbuh19vmpih32mqqkndq8sudkj291h29u@4ax.com>, Brian
<brianmcadam@pobox.com> wrote:

> >> Not sure what that means - is it worth changing from a 2-handed staff
> >> (with a nice spi bonus) and getting a 1-handed weapon instead? I can't
> >> see how to quantify the benefits.

> Almost. It heals UP TO +13. This is dependent on cast-time. A spell
> taking 3.5s or longer will recieve the full benefit of the item. Spells
> with shorter casting times will recieve proportionately less benefit, to a
> minimum of 43% on very fast spells and instants.

OK, thanks for the clarification.. it doesn't really seem at this level
that +13 max will make much difference to my druid's healing tactics,
but what about the second part of the question? What does +13 healing
equate to in terms of the +int, +spi bonuses I have on my main staff?

Are there too many variables, or could I say if the +spi bonus (for
example) is less than 13 (for example), then the healing bonus is a
better thing to have, bearing in mind I don't intend to hit anyone with
the staff anyway :D

___
Neil
aka HighVis

Neil Jones wrote:

>>Almost. It heals UP TO +13. This is dependent on cast-time. A spell
>>taking 3.5s or longer will recieve the full benefit of the item. Spells
>>with shorter casting times will recieve proportionately less benefit, to a
>>minimum of 43% on very fast spells and instants.
>

> OK, thanks for the clarification.. it doesn't really seem at this level
> that +13 max will make much difference to my druid's healing tactics,
> but what about the second part of the question? What does +13 healing
> equate to in terms of the +int, +spi bonuses I have on my main staff?
>
> Are there too many variables, or could I say if the +spi bonus (for
> example) is less than 13 (for example), then the healing bonus is a
> better thing to have, bearing in mind I don't intend to hit anyone with
> the staff anyway :D
>
> ___
> Neil
> aka HighVis

The +spi/int vs +heal issue is much more of a problem in higher levels
than in your level, so don't worry about it too much. At level 13, you
won't be doing many instances for quite some time, so I do not think
that the +13 heal is worthwhile. On the other hand, +spi means less
downtime between mobs, so it is an excellent choice for grinding.

To put it simple, +healing is pretty useless in solo/small group
tactics, but a killer feature in high-end instances where 400 +healing
means you can cast lower lvl heals and conserve more mana than with
higher int. Then again, if you have things like healing rotation in MC
+spi/int may be nicer for larger mana pool/recovery, but trust me, these
issues won't bother you for a long time :)

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 09:47:10 +0100, Neil Jones
<neil@designumbrella.com> wrote:

>> Almost. It heals UP TO +13. This is dependent on cast-time. A spell
>> taking 3.5s or longer will recieve the full benefit of the item. Spells
>> with shorter casting times will recieve proportionately less benefit, to a
>> minimum of 43% on very fast spells and instants.
>
>OK, thanks for the clarification.. it doesn't really seem at this level
>that +13 max will make much difference to my druid's healing tactics,
>but what about the second part of the question? What does +13 healing
>equate to in terms of the +int, +spi bonuses I have on my main staff?
>
>Are there too many variables, or could I say if the +spi bonus (for
>example) is less than 13 (for example), then the healing bonus is a
>better thing to have, bearing in mind I don't intend to hit anyone with
>the staff anyway :D

Very complicated question.

If you are grinding then you want +spi for less downtime, and +int and
+sta is only important to the point that you don't run out of
mana/health doing your normal (or slightly gone wrong) grind.

On the other hand, while grinding is about killing single mobs over
and over at a steady pace, you go from one big fight to the next in
instances. Draining a big chunk of your mana pool on each fight is the
norm, and you sit to drink after each fight (especially at lower
levels).
Regular drinking coupled with the short duration of the fights make
+spi much less important in instances, you also don't spend much time
outside of the 5-second rule. Having a bigger mana pool and more
health for emergencies is much better there.
Also, +int becomes better than +sta if you are in a group that you can
count on protecting you, and vice versa.

Now +healing items...
The more mana you have the better +healing becomes - if you can cast
10 heals on your mana pool then +50 healing gives you +500 total, but
if you can cast 20 heals then it adds up to +1000 (not quite true, but
it captures the gist).
So logically there is a breakpoint where +int items is better if your
mana pool is below that point, but +healing wins if you are above that
point. However where that breakpoint is is a bit hard to find out...

My suggestion is to just try to balance int, spi and sta a bit, but
not to worry too much about it. After a while you should get the idea
of what works best for you, and then just go for that.
Don't worry about +healing, I slightly doubt that your mana pool is
big enough to support it, and it will not help you with grinding
(right? dunno much about druid grinding).

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

In article <b2355$431ffffa$82a1c9eb$12969@news1.tudelft.nl>, Stavros
Christoforou <stgreek@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The +spi/int vs +heal issue is much more of a problem in higher levels
> than in your level, so don't worry about it too much. At level 13, you
> won't be doing many instances for quite some time

Sorry, the '13' is the bonus on the item, not my level (just hit 30,
actually, and doing all the available instances:D)

> trust me, these issues won't bother you for a long time :)

:) - I'll keep them in mind for the future, then, thanks.

___
Neil
aka HighVis

In article <4u00i1tpp4asmjbc44ob84ml31q4b09i5m@4ax.com>, Simon Nejmann
<snejmann@worldonline.dk> wrote:

> Very complicated question.

(excellent detailed info snipped and saved)

> Don't worry about +healing, I slightly doubt that your mana pool is
> big enough to support it, and it will not help you with grinding
> (right? dunno much about druid grinding).

I don't grind with my druid.. we play in a group once a week, so *all*
her xp is in a team. I don't think it would help in grinding, though -
good planning plus well-timed changes to bear form do the trick.

ta

___
Neil
aka HighVis

Neil Jones wrote:
> In article <b2355$431ffffa$82a1c9eb$12969@news1.tudelft.nl>, Stavros
> Christoforou <stgreek@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>The +spi/int vs +heal issue is much more of a problem in higher levels
>>than in your level, so don't worry about it too much. At level 13, you
>>won't be doing many instances for quite some time
>

> Sorry, the '13' is the bonus on the item, not my level (just hit 30,
> actually, and doing all the available instances:D)
>

>>trust me, these issues won't bother you for a long time :)
>

> :) - I'll keep them in mind for the future, then, thanks.
>
> ___
> Neil
> aka HighVis

Sorry, I didn't notice it. In any case, it is not an issue until you get
to the hard instances (ie BRD and up), so don't worry too much about it :)