Can I suspend power to USB when going into standby?

My Gateway 901x doesn't have the most space around it, it tends to get
warm, too warm. I bought a couple of external fans that plug directly
into USB for power and they cool my computer like a treat. When I put
the system into standby (S3) I was surprised to find the fans still
happily running. Hmm.

I looked in power options, nothing.
I tried turning off all devices ability to wake from standby (USB
keyboard and mouse) didn't help.
I looked in the BIOS, nothing apparent there.

Can anyone give me any ideas of how to make the fans come on and off as

the computer goes into and out of standby. I think that basically means

somehow turning the USB power on and off.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

<jrmwillis@gmail.com> wrote in message
> My Gateway 901x doesn't have the most space around it, it tends to
> get
> warm, too warm. I bought a couple of external fans that plug
> directly
> into USB for power and they cool my computer like a treat. When I
> put
> the system into standby (S3) I was surprised to find the fans still
> happily running. Hmm.
>
> Can anyone give me any ideas of how to make the fans come on and off
> as
> the computer goes into and out of standby. I think that basically
> means
> somehow turning the USB power on and off.

Many motherboards cannot turn the USB power off. The only way to solve
this is to install an optional board with USB-ports that *can* be
turned off.

/klaus