First build welcome input and need advise

bigdaddy ff

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
This will be my first build and I must admit my head is swimming with all the number and letters in the product names and acronyms. My goal is to build a really solid photo and video editing machine. I don’t do any gaming whatsoever and at don’t want to be bothered with over clocking which is why I didn’t get the 3770K. The list below are items I have already ordered and or received. My primary question is do I need a graphics card? If yes, which one? In one of the newegg videos they built a video editing machine and included a MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr II GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 Video Card, because it works well with Adobe Premier which is also something I use. I don’t know a thing about GPU’s and have no idea what if any I need. My second question is regarding the CPU heatsink and fan. I have read many comments about dumping the heat sink fan that came with the chip in favor of an after market. However, where my chip is locked and therefore no over clocking even possible do I need a more powerful heat sink and fan? If so what would you recommend?

Case: Thermaltake Overseer RX-I VN700M1W2N No PS Full Tower Case (Black)
MOBO: ASUS Deluxe Intel Z77 ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1155 Motherboard P8Z77-V DELUXE
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B
Optical 1: Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)
Optical 2: Pioneer BDR-206DBK 12x Internal Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer (Black) OEM - No software (This was a mistake. I had several wish lists I was using to save different products as I did my search so I could come back to them later. When I was ready to purchase I grabbed this one by mistake. Its ratings were okay but I m not sure about the no software problem.)
Card reader: Rosewill RDCR-11003 74-in-1 USB3.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/USB Port
SSD1: (cache for HDD) OCZ Synapse 64GB SATA 6Gb/s SYN-25SAT3-64G 2.5" Solid State Drive (SSD) with up to 550MB/s read and 80K IOPS write.
SSD2: ( boot drive for OS) OCZ 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid 3 SSD Series (SLD3-25SAT3-120G)
HDD: Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB SATA 6 GB/s NCQ 64 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified High Performance Modular Power Supply CP-9020003-NA

I have a 5200 rpm 1TB HD that will also be installed. It is currently used as an external HDD ¾ full with video and photo data. In the near future I will be adding an additional HD or two. I hope to go with a GW Black.

Any feedback is welcome and I really would be indebted to anyone who addresses my primary questions. Thanks.

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Some wastage of cash for a first build:

- SSD's pointless, I'd get a a 600GB velociraptor for your boot drive and a 3TB 7200RPM for an editing drive. You want stability for a workstation and SSD's are not reliable yet. My first SSD broke after 5hrs.

- Case is up to you, but I would have gotten a HAF case and dropped the card reader, the front panel on the HAF has USB 3 + Esata so a card reader isn't required.

- Motherboard is fine, but you could have saved cash by dropping down to a PRO or LX model

For the graphics card, some adobe software can be accelerated with a good GPU. The 570 is ideal, if this were gaming I'd go for a 670 but for you the 570 will certainly be enough. Basically its your choice if the extra speed for some filters is worth it.

For the CPU, an aftermarket heatsink will keep it cool extending lifespan. Its worth upgrading for it. The Coolermaster 212 is a fine choice. Basically, a good build but you could have saved a hundred or so with some tweaks.

bigdaddy ff

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

I really hope I have better luck with the SSD's but I have to admit its been years since I really looked this heavily into computers and SSD's were not around. It seems like everywhere I look or read its all about them these days. I spent much time coveting a velociraptor HDD. I wish I would have done what others have and put my IDEAs up for review and not my purchases. I also spent a great deal of time trying to decide on a MOBO. I think it was the newegg vid's and JJ from ASUS that sucked me in. Live and learn I suppose. Thank you much for the input and advise.

claysm

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012

Huh? SSD's are plenty reliable. Just because you had some bad luck doesn't mean they are all that way. And it should be noted that while the Velociraptor is fast for a HDD and is a great drive, it is no where near as fast as even the slowest SSD.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5729/western-digital-velociraptor-1tb-wd1000dhtz-review

This ^ article shows the performance difference between a Velociraptor and an SSD.

zander1983

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Agree with Deemo13, get an AMD 7xxx series card (7870, 7950 or 7970)

And Agree with claysm, get yourself an Intel 520 SSD for boot and system drive and a WD 2TB Black.

If you feel like it, put 2x SSDs in RAID0 to double read & write performance. Note: This will only be of benefit if you save and work on a video file that is saved on the SSDs and not a normal drive.

claysm

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012

Just remember that TRIM is not supported in RAID arrays.