What the best Action Bar mods?

Opinions please.
14 answers Last reply
More about what action mods

    joe wrote:
    > Opinions please.

    There are three that you can turn on in the interface menu giving you
    about 30 extra icons to use. This comes with the game.

    Thomas
    --
    Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR

    i tested nearly all bar mods and i think "BIBtoolbars" (its a part of
    the Bib UI - just download full UI and only copy the BIBtoolbars folder
    and the *placenameofmainBIBfolderhere* folder to ur addon directory).
    When u fist start the addon u have 10 bars (12 buttons / bar) in the
    middle of ur screen. u can place those bars however u want (on screen
    menu). like this i put 30 buttons over my XP bar, 18 buttons left below
    it, the bags & option buttons right below it, and 2 times 17 buttons
    vertical on the right.
    The bottom left bar (bar No 1) still switched when u switch between ur
    stances (travel for, bear, f.e.).
    I really needed this muich buttons for my warlock, cause the original
    ones were all full with things (macros, spells, equip...)

    Even more than that.

    On my hunter I have turned on an extra left horizontal, extra right
    horizontal and two right vertical toolbars. I am fairly sure you can use
    left vertical toolbars as well though I don't need any more at present as I
    can do all abbilities including tracking and tradeskills using the current
    setup.

    And no mod issues to worry about.

    In article <dfo9cm$1sec$1@bunyip2.cc.uq.edu.au>, Rastus
    <nospam@uq.edu.au> wrote:

    > Even more than that.
    >
    > On my hunter I have turned on an extra left horizontal, extra right
    > horizontal and two right vertical toolbars. I am fairly sure you can use
    > left vertical toolbars as well though I don't need any more at present as I
    > can do all abbilities including tracking and tradeskills using the current
    > setup.
    >
    > And no mod issues to worry about.

    :) Yeah, but not much screen left to actually see what's going on!

    Flexbar, for instance, (or my favourite, Discord) lets you reduce the
    amount of screen clutter by only having onscreen the buttons you
    actually need in any situation. So I can have a single combat bar
    across the bottom of the screen as a druid, which seamlessly switches
    for the bear-form bar when I switch to bear (including the same
    keybinds) and the same for cat-form.

    One single bar (scaled to a smaller size, and made slightly
    transparent) as opposed to many different bars? No contest here...

    Another option is to use a mod like Ghostbar (or Discord's own floating
    bar option) to have a grid of up to 25 buttons which pop up under the
    cursor when you hold down a modifier key, but vanishes as soon as you
    release the key. This is an ideal solution for things like emergency
    buttons (*right* under the cursor when you need it), potions,
    tradeskills, hearthstones, etc etc...

    YMMV, of course ;)

    ___
    Neil
    aka HighVis

    Valjean wrote:
    > "Rastus" <nospam@uq.edu.au> wrote in message
    > >> :) Yeah, but not much screen left to actually see what's going on!
    > >
    > > It's not that bad actually on a 19' monitor at 1280 * 1024. Plus, as a
    > > solo hunter I am constantly using a great percentage of my abilties. I
    > > haven't found a useless spell or abiltiy yet and I never know when I will
    > > need one, with the exception of the tradeskills.
    >
    > You mean you have found a use for the telescopic vision eagle eye thing?

    Eagle Eye is great! I use it to look around camps for the quest items
    that just lay around waiting to be picked up when you've killed mobs
    that are near it. That way I only need to attack one camp instead of
    all the ones around that may have it. You can also use it and track at
    the same time to look for a particular mob or NPC in hostile camps.

    I hope that Eyes of the Beast will become more useful after 1.7.
    Perhaps I'll be able to use my stealthed cat to scout around a bit.

    steve.kaye

    Urbin wrote:
    > On 9 Sep 2005 02:40:29 -0700, steve.kaye <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:
    > >
    > > Valjean wrote:

    > > > You mean you have found a use for the telescopic vision eagle eye thing?
    > >
    > > Eagle Eye is great! I use it to look around camps for the quest items
    > > that just lay around waiting to be picked up
    >
    > I must revisit Eagle Eye then. I figured it was about as useless as 'Aspect
    > of the Wild' which I haven't found any use for... I can see how it *might*
    > come in handy in PvP but then again it might not :-)
    >
    > > I hope that Eyes of the Beast will become more useful after 1.7.
    >
    > This one I use occasionaly even now. My only problem is stopping to move
    > before the channeling is over because often I then run into places I have no
    > intention going to ;-)
    >
    > I also use most of my skills but the following I hardly use at all (or ever)
    > - Aspect of the Wild (no gain)

    That looks like the worst ability ever. I don't think I'll even buy
    it.

    > - Stoneskin (or whatever it would be in English :-) - (never felt the need)

    I don't play a Dwarf so I don't know about this - also looks rubbish
    though.

    > - Eagle Eye (must retry it seems)
    > - Aura of the cheeta (too dangerous with the stunning risk, besides,
    > nowadays everybody I group with has a mount anyway :-)

    I don't have a mount yet so I use Aspect of Cheetah a lot. That
    hunter's PvP tips site that I posted week or so ago also used it to get
    distance away from the other player after trapping them (safe with 1v1
    because they are trapped)
    I think that I'll stop using AotC as soon as I get a mount. (15g away
    now - about time to go to IF and spam for a loan :P )

    steve.kaye

    Urbin wrote:
    > Actually, I do use AotC quite a lot (e.g. in BB where the mount doesn't
    > work, or in the deepway tram). What I don't use is 'Aura of the Cheeta'
    > (or whatever it is called in English) that gives the 30% speed bonus to
    > the whole of my group.
    > When I'm travelling with my group, we're all mounted anyway and if we're
    > not mounted we're in a potential combat situation where the risk of being
    > stunned if hit while the aura is active is too high.
    >
    > So in summary, I think Aspect otC is quite ok while Aura otC is not that
    > valuable once you hit 40.

    Ah - I just saw Cheetah and presumed you forgot to translate Aura into
    Aspect. That skill is called Aspect of the Pack in English. I hardly
    ever use that either. And the few times that I could have used I'm
    usually running away from my group with Cheetah on until I remember
    which is usually too late. I can see that as you get higher level and
    more and more people have mounts that it would be completely useless.
    Thinking about it - it was a great idea to give it to us at level 40
    just as it starts to become obsoleted by mounts. :P

    steve.kaye

    > :) Yeah, but not much screen left to actually see what's going on!

    It's not that bad actually on a 19' monitor at 1280 * 1024. Plus, as a solo
    hunter I am constantly using a great percentage of my abilties. I haven't
    found a useless spell or abiltiy yet and I never know when I will need one,
    with the exception of the tradeskills. I should take a screeny as it isn't
    imposing at all with just a single bag open.

    The biggest problem I have is keeping track of what abilities I do have and
    there is nothing worse than forgetting your pet could have been healing you
    the whole fight, or dying then remembering you could have feigned, or an
    extra add joining the fight and forgetting you have scare beast etc,
    grenades etc.

    Having all the options up front helps remind me of what I can do and they
    are all just a single click away (I don't use hotkeys at all).

    It doesn't suit everyone - but for someone as scatterbrained as myself it
    helps having everything at a glance.

    "Rastus" <nospam@uq.edu.au> wrote in message
    >> :) Yeah, but not much screen left to actually see what's going on!
    >
    > It's not that bad actually on a 19' monitor at 1280 * 1024. Plus, as a
    > solo hunter I am constantly using a great percentage of my abilties. I
    > haven't found a useless spell or abiltiy yet and I never know when I will
    > need one, with the exception of the tradeskills.

    You mean you have found a use for the telescopic vision eagle eye thing?

    On 9 Sep 2005 02:40:29 -0700, steve.kaye <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:

    > Valjean wrote:
    > > "Rastus" <nospam@uq.edu.au> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > I haven't found a useless spell or abiltiy yet and I never know when I
    > > > will need one, with the exception of the tradeskills.
    > >
    > > You mean you have found a use for the telescopic vision eagle eye thing?
    >
    > Eagle Eye is great! I use it to look around camps for the quest items
    > that just lay around waiting to be picked up

    I must revisit Eagle Eye then. I figured it was about as useless as 'Aspect
    of the Wild' which I haven't found any use for... I can see how it *might*
    come in handy in PvP but then again it might not :-)

    > I hope that Eyes of the Beast will become more useful after 1.7.

    This one I use occasionaly even now. My only problem is stopping to move
    before the channeling is over because often I then run into places I have no
    intention going to ;-)

    I also use most of my skills but the following I hardly use at all (or ever)
    - Aspect of the Wild (no gain)
    - Stoneskin (or whatever it would be in English :-) - (never felt the need)
    - Eagle Eye (must retry it seems)
    - Aura of the cheeta (too dangerous with the stunning risk, besides,
    nowadays everybody I group with has a mount anyway :-)

    If anyone has found uses for those, please tell me!

    Cheers
    Urbin

    --
    Urbin (54), Dwarven Hunter (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
    Gera (14), Human Paladin (PvE) @dunmorogh.de

    On 9 Sep 2005 04:05:51 -0700, steve.kaye <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:

    > > I also use most of my skills but the following I hardly use at all (or ever)
    > > - Aspect of the Wild (no gain)
    >
    > That looks like the worst ability ever. I don't think I'll even buy
    > it.

    I was naive when I bought it. By now I know better but it's too late :-)

    > > - Stoneskin (or whatever it would be in English :-) - (never felt the need)
    >
    > I don't play a Dwarf so I don't know about this - also looks rubbish
    > though.

    It purges you of some sicknesses, poisons and certain curses. Most of them I
    have never even had and most of those that I had run their course without
    too much significant damage. Maybe I'll encounter the evil rogue with the
    deadly uber-poison that this cures but I doubt it.

    Didn't realise it was a race skill and not a class skill, though.

    On 9 Sep 2005 07:11:18 -0700, steve.kaye <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:

    > Urbin wrote:
    > > Actually, I do use AotC quite a lot. What I don't use is 'Aura of the
    > > Cheeta' (or whatever it is called in English) that gives the 30% speed
    > > bonus to the whole of my group.
    >
    > Ah - I just saw Cheetah and presumed you forgot to translate Aura into
    > Aspect. That skill is called Aspect of the Pack in English.

    Thanks. And now that I do think of it, that is exactly what it is called in
    the German translation as well. It's just because it has the same icon
    (apart from being bleeched) that I keep thinking of it as 'Cheeta'-ish.

    > I can see that as you get higher level and more and more people have
    > mounts that it would be completely useless. Thinking about it - it was a
    > great idea to give it to us at level 40 just as it starts to become
    > obsoleted by mounts. :P

    I never thought of it that way but you put that very nicely :)

    Cheers
    Urbin - planning to hit at least 55 this weekend^^

    --

    Urbin wrote:
    > On 9 Sep 2005 02:40:29 -0700, steve.kaye <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> Valjean wrote:

    >>>You mean you have found a use for the telescopic vision eagle eye thing?
    >>
    >> Eagle Eye is great! I use it to look around camps for the quest items
    >> that just lay around waiting to be picked up
    >

    > I must revisit Eagle Eye then. I figured it was about as useless as 'Aspect
    > of the Wild' which I haven't found any use for... I can see how it *might*
    > come in handy in PvP but then again it might not :-)

    I've used it quite a bit. In PVE I've often used it (and tracking) to
    find particular mobs or other quest targets without having to run around
    searching; Eagle Eye is faster. When grinding or farming, I use it to
    find out if a cluster of targets has respawned. In PVP I've used it to
    watch the permieter of places I am defending. Saves me running around
    when the enemy is maneuvering for an attack.

    >> I hope that Eyes of the Beast will become more useful after 1.7.
    >

    > This one I use occasionaly even now. My only problem is stopping to move
    > before the channeling is over because often I then run into places I have no
    > intention going to ;-)
    >
    > I also use most of my skills but the following I hardly use at all (or ever)
    > - Aspect of the Wild (no gain)
    > - Stoneskin (or whatever it would be in English :-) - (never felt the need)
    > - Eagle Eye (must retry it seems)
    > - Aura of the cheeta (too dangerous with the stunning risk, besides,
    > nowadays everybody I group with has a mount anyway :-)

    I've successfully used Aspect of the Cheetah in fights with melee mobs.
    For example, at level 20 one of my hunters overcame Khazgorm, who is
    level 26, by shooting, sending the pet, and running. I used AoC to stay
    ahead of him far enough to shoot a couple times and then run some more.
    Works great against mobs that don't have ranged attacks.

    It can be used in PVP as well, even though it's risky. My shaman once
    fought a hunter who controlled the fight very well. One of the tricks
    she used was to switch on AoC for a very short time when trying to get
    some distance, and then switch it off quickly. Risky, but it worked.

    Urbin wrote:

    > I also use most of my skills but the following I hardly use at all (or ever)
    > - Aspect of the Wild (no gain)
    > - Stoneskin (or whatever it would be in English :-) - (never felt the need)
    > - Eagle Eye (must retry it seems)
    > - Aura of the cheeta (too dangerous with the stunning risk, besides,
    > nowadays everybody I group with has a mount anyway :-)
    >
    > If anyone has found uses for those, please tell me!

    AotW is good for Abominations in Stratholme just before you reach the
    Baron. All the poison there is nature based so it helps. Also in
    Scholomance with the green poison ghouls. Most of the time it's not
    helpful as you've only got one of them at a time but when clearing the
    rooms around the balcony to spawn Gandling there is one room with heaps
    of them. I think it may also be useful for some encounters in Zul Gurub.
    Finally if fighting a druid 1v1 it's your new best friend.

    Stoneskin - I don't have a dwarf at present, but as I understand it, use
    it as a spell and not a form. Turn it on, purge whatever is afflicting
    you and turn it off again as soon as it clears. Leaving it on will leave
    you moving around way too slowly.

    Eagle Eye I don't use very much, however as pointed out above there are
    some situations where it is useful. It's not on any of my bars at
    present so generally I forget I have it.

    AotCheetah/Pack - Cheetah I use running around towns and in Blackrock
    Mountain when getting to whichever instance I'm doing. Mount would be
    faster in towns, but it seems to create more lag for me so I end up in
    more places I don't want to be.
    Pack is nice after a wipe inside an instance and you've zoned back in
    and need to run a long way to your corpse. Also if you've cleared your
    way to a boss and then need to go in a different direction eg after
    Rattlegore in Scholomance or on a death run into the imps after killing
    Magmadar (kind of silly but it does speed the whole thing up).

    Cameron

Warcraft Games Video Games