Sign in with
Your question

What Gaming Graphics card shall i get?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 19, 2012 12:09:13 AM

Hi i currently have a Nvidia gt 8500 and i am looking to upgrade as it cannot play games like Grand Theft Auto 4, Battlefeild 3 etc, what graphics card would you recomend for these types of games?

Thanks Dan

More about : gaming graphics card

July 19, 2012 12:14:23 AM

A lot of it really depends on a couple of things matey mainly budget and resolution but your PSU also comes into play. Give us a bit more info dude and we will go from there. :D 
July 19, 2012 12:17:07 AM

well i have about £150-£200, and 1024x1600 resolution. but the monitor is hd and want to go hd :D 
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 19, 2012 12:19:59 AM

Please list the rest of your pc specs, especially the psu (as Memoflex said) so we can have an idea of what your system can support.
July 19, 2012 12:23:30 AM

intel celron 3.20ghz but again in the process of upgrading
3gb ddr2 ram
whats psu as im new to building compters?
a b U Graphics card
July 19, 2012 12:30:04 AM

dan_226 said:
intel celron 3.20ghz but again in the process of upgrading
3gb ddr2 ram
whats psu as im new to building compters?

psu=power supply unit. You can find its' details on the side of the unit. Unplug your pc, and remove the side panel, all the important psu details will be on a sticker on the side of the psu. We will need to know the manufacturer and the wattage. Hope that helps, good luck.
July 19, 2012 12:32:22 AM

my power supply is 500w do you need to know anymore?
July 19, 2012 12:34:16 AM

PSU is power supply unit which provides the power to the various components. Is important as some are better than others and some cannot provide enough power (without trying to get too complicated) on a 12v Rail. If you have the box for it it will tell you on there or alternatively on the side of the psu itself. Will involve opening your case and you cant miss it as it will have a number of cables coming from it going into all the various components (located either top or bottom rear of case).
a c 198 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
July 19, 2012 12:34:42 AM

Yes, which PSU is it? Like brand and model, expecially the number of amps (a) on the 12V rail.
a b U Graphics card
July 19, 2012 12:35:20 AM

dan_226 said:
my power supply is 500w do you need to know anymore?

Who made it would help as not all psu's are what they say they are. And as Deemo13 said the amps on the 12V rail.
July 19, 2012 12:35:35 AM

beat me to it lol. If you can get model number mate then we can have a google and find out.
July 19, 2012 12:41:26 AM

make-casecom model-atx500w, i cant see what amp it is? lol
a b U Graphics card
July 19, 2012 12:43:53 AM

dan_226 said:
make-casecom model-atx500w, i cant see what amp it is? lol

Hmm, I'm not a psu guru, but I've not heard of that make. It may be alright, the psu gurus will let you know, but be prepared to add a new psu.

Edit: Just had a quick read through some reviews and it looks like you're going to need a new psu. Occording to the reviews it has no pci-e power connectors and no sata connectors. >> http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/psus/118104/casecom-atx-...
July 19, 2012 12:46:37 AM

yeah i was going to upgrade the computer bit by bit as i go along anyway, i have a new motherboard just shopping about for the cpu for it.
July 19, 2012 12:47:42 AM

Just had a look dude and the reviews are not promising. It doesnt have ANY PCI-E connectors supposedly and you will need 1 or 2 depending on card. You can use cable converters but never have myself so don't know whether it would be a good idea.

It also can only achieve 50% of its claimed output so you I would recommend getting a new one.

See review : http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/psus/118104/casecom-atx-...
July 19, 2012 12:49:08 AM

okay then could you recomend any power supplys worth getting?
July 19, 2012 12:56:22 AM

okay then thanks for the help mate, yes i am changing my board i have a gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3P but am looking for a decent cpu for it.
July 19, 2012 1:04:13 AM

Due to your board being an older socket type you may struggle to pick a cpu up new. Ebay may be an option but then you may be throwing money away when it may be best to save a little more and upgrade in one go. If you are on a budget AMD is the way to go as your money will go a lot further.
July 19, 2012 1:09:02 AM

MEMOFLEX said:
Due to your board being an older socket type you may struggle to pick a cpu up new. Ebay may be an option but then you may be throwing money away when it may be best to save a little more and upgrade in one go. If you are on a budget AMD is the way to go as your money will go a lot further.

do you not think its worth buying a cpu for that board? and buying a newer one? il have a look around for different board and cpu cheers
July 19, 2012 1:18:16 AM

yes that does look tempting lol intel i3 or i5?, im thinking of selling my current pc and just rebuilding from scratch!
a b U Graphics card
July 19, 2012 1:25:51 AM

Pleased I could help, good luck with your build Dan.
July 19, 2012 1:26:32 AM

Its always a pain when you get to the stage where your motherboard socket type (in your case 775) cannot be upgraded much further without having to change everything. I would have a look at the pre built bundles (Motherboard, CPU and RAM) on overclockers.co.uk to see what you can get for the money, then have a look at reviews of the components and obviously come back here for help and advice if need be. You may be able to salvage your case, DVD drive, HDD to begin with but make sure you change that PSU as some cheaper models can die and take all your new shiny components with them. Tech support from overclockers is great btw and you can even give them a call and they will guide you through.

Hope that helps matey and don't forget to pick best answer when you are done so thread can be closed.

Happy hunting buddy :D 
July 19, 2012 1:29:57 AM

okay thank you very much mate thanks for all the help,
Dan :D 
!