chris_fleming

Distinguished
May 15, 2003
I've been hearing that creative sound cards are lousy and the turtle beach santa cruz is alot better for sound quality. Are all those Audigys out there crap?

Best Regards,
Chris Fleming
<A HREF="http://www.build-your-own-computers.com" target="_new">Build-Your-Own-Computers.com</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Q. SB Audigy - good or bad?
A. Both

They work great for some people, they have many problems for others. I prefer not to deal with Creative. The TBSC is a great card, but without the latest features.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
For the price you're paying for it, it's a good card (decent sound quality, feature-rich, very good performance and good quality 3D effects processing in games, etc.).

BUT, expect anything extraordinary (i.e. sound quality or a feature you need on a more professional level) and it won't satisfy. Audigy2 is a much better card in this respect although it's by NO means a pro card. It's actually a very good buy for the [OEM] price as a good (if not best) quality sound solution.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by r2k on 05/16/03 05:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Traqr

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
Do you listen to MP3s and like the sound? Then the Audigy will be fine, and you'll get more toys with it than you would with the TBSC. If your PC sits on your desk, your system fans probably make more noise than the sound floor in either soundcard, so get over it. If you're running a silent (or near-silent) system into quality speakers and sound quality outside games is paramount to you, go get the TBSC, or splurge on an audiophile/professional solution.

<font color=blue>Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself.</font color=blue><font color=green>
<i>Canadian Flight Safety periodical, ~1987</i></font color=green>

BigBiggist

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
I have the Audigy and its fine. Even though the EAX AD HD crashes some stuff. But now that Creative has some new beta drivers that you download from none other than tomshardware. Its awesome and even more stable and can now support 64 voices instead of 32.

Personally i recommend it.

<i> New Drivers, only supported by XP and 2000</i>
<A HREF="http://www.americas.creative.com/support/files/download2.asp?centric=205&maincat=11&os=10&subcat=35" target="_new">http://www.americas.creative.com/support/files/download2.asp?centric=205&maincat=11&os=10&subcat=35</A>

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
I have the Audigy 2 and it's great. Of course, I think my speakers have as much to do with that as anything else, but the Audigy 2 does everything and is very well supported. I also have an Audigy in my other system, and it's fine. The Audigy 2 seems to perform better in games, though a fair comparison in that regard is difficult for me, since the Audigy 2 went into a faster system.

<font color=green>The Netherlands is where you go when you're too good for heaven.</font color=green> :tongue:

Boilermaker

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
at first i thought i overpaid for my audigy 2, got one when it first came out. but it works well in games, music sounds good and it has lots of features, so i'm happy with the purchase. even running win98, no problems with crashing. the only complaint i have is creative's mediasource software, it slow to open and seems to eat up a lot of resources when running.

Steven21

Distinguished
May 7, 2003
I've Had My SB Audigy for almost 2 years now, And i havent had any problems with it. Execpt for EAX which dosent work well
in some games, but i think it sounds just as good with it off then it does on. Sound quality is good, compared to the AC'97 audio thats built into my Mobo.

johnnylange

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2003
I just started having a problem with my sound blaster audigy. I get this win32 error right after I install the driver and when I try to get into the DOS prompt or use my internet connection program I get that error. (I'm using Windows 98se)I think it's the driver cause after I uninstall it and restart everything works fine.