Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

7950 oc vs 7970

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 19, 2012 1:31:00 AM

Okay so the Twin Frozr III R7950 is $60 less then a VisionTek reference 7970...
The 7950 can be stable at 1250MHz, and 1600MHz for core and memory clock respectively...
The 7970 can be stable at 1125MHz, and 1900MHz for core and memory clock respectively...
Which one is better? Is the 7970 worth the extra $60?

Thanks ;)  .
-tw23

More about : 7950 7970

July 19, 2012 1:40:55 AM

well i would say the 7950 because its got the higher core clock but if you arewilling to spend that much get the 670 FTW edition unless you dont like nvidia
m
0
l
a b } Memory
July 19, 2012 1:59:21 AM

devilofdeaths said:
well i would say the 7950 because its got the higher core clock but if you arewilling to spend that much get the 670 FTW edition unless you dont like nvidia


the 7950's price is no where near the gtx 670 ftw price(almost 100$ depending on 7950 model) as for the 7970, it really depends on the price. the reference visiontek one at tigerdirect is only 370$ at the moment, which is a great card for that price.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 19, 2012 2:06:27 AM

dudewitbow said:
the 7950's price is no where near the gtx 670 ftw price(almost 100$ depending on 7950 model) as for the 7970, it really depends on the price. the reference visiontek one at tigerdirect is only 370$ at the moment, which is a great card for that price.

i said if he was willing to spend that much on a gpu why not get the 670 but i mean it is his choice
m
0
l
a b } Memory
July 19, 2012 2:08:35 AM

devilofdeaths said:
i said if he was willing to spend that much on a gpu why not get the 670 but i mean it is his choice


of course, but comparing the current reference 7970 for 370$ is 40-50$ cheaper than the EVGA gtx 670 FTW, a 40-50$ gap is pretty large at the moment, and comparing the 7970 to a 670 with such gap in price right now is a different story to when the 7970 is at normal price.
m
0
l
July 19, 2012 2:10:45 AM

dudewitbow said:
the 7950's price is no where near the gtx 670 ftw price(almost 100$ depending on 7950 model) as for the 7970, it really depends on the price. the reference visiontek one at tigerdirect is only 370$ at the moment, which is a great card for that price.

I know, but is it worth the extra $60?
The Twin Frozr III 7950 is only $310...
m
0
l
a c 132 } Memory
July 19, 2012 2:11:35 AM

tw23 said:
Okay so the Twin Frozr III R7950 is $60 less then a VisionTek reference 7970...
The 7950 can be stable at 1250MHz, and 1600MHz for core and memory clock respectively...
The 7970 can be stable at 1125MHz, and 1900MHz for core and memory clock respectively...
Which one is better? Is the 7970 worth the extra $60?

Thanks ;)  .
-tw23


Don't make any assumptions about where something will be stable
m
0
l
a b } Memory
July 19, 2012 2:13:27 AM

tw23 said:
I know, but is it worth the extra $60?
The Twin Frozr III 7950 is only $310...


assuming you have no interest on what will happen with the gtx 660ti, both choices are solid buys regardless. If you want a more recent testing of cards, This benchmark would be quite more accurate compared to the new drivers. Though both choices are fine, a 7950 could probably max out games pretty respectfully
m
0
l
July 19, 2012 2:23:27 AM

dudewitbow said:
assuming you have no interest on what will happen with the gtx 660ti, both choices are solid buys regardless. If you want a more recent testing of cards, This benchmark would be quite more accurate compared to the new drivers. Though both choices are fine, a 7950 could probably max out games pretty respectfully

Hmm... is it worth the extra $60 though?
I'm on a budget.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
July 19, 2012 2:32:47 AM

tw23 said:
Hmm... is it worth the extra $60 though?
I'm on a budget.


I would think a 7950 would fit any 1920x1080 single screen users needs. so unless you plan on utilizing the 7970 to its fullest by going to 25xxX1600 resolution or playing on multiple screens well, then the 60$ gap isnt necessary.
m
0
l
July 19, 2012 2:54:09 AM

dudewitbow said:
I would think a 7950 would fit any 1920x1080 single screen users needs. so unless you plan on utilizing the 7970 to its fullest by going to 25xxX1600 resolution or playing on multiple screens well, then the 60$ gap isnt necessary.

Thanks ;)  for your input :)  .
m
0
l
!