6970 Eyefinity Core Clock Changes While Gaming

NitroStar

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
Never experienced this while my 6970 was in my Phenom 2 rig with 12.4 drivers. Just installed it in a new i5 rig. Installed 12.6 drivers. While playing pC.A.R.S. racing game, the core clock of the 6970 goes from 940 to 500 and back and forth. Causes slight stuttering. I have uninstalled the 12.6 drivers and done the Safe Mode Driver Sweeper trick and then reboot and try to install the 12.4 drivers and it installs the 12.6 ones again. Never had this happen either. Any suggestions?
Thanks

fantastik250

Distinguished
Keep the 12.6 Drivers. Make sure you have 12.4 uninstalled. What you want to do is see if Graphics OverDrive is enabled. Go to your CCC, and go to the Peformance Section->Click on AMD OverDrive.

If it is enabled you may want to uncheck it.

NitroStar

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010

Overdrive is not enabled. I never use it. I want to try to go back to 12.4 drivers, but everytime I uninstall and use driver sweeper in Safe Mode to uninstall 12.6 and then install 12.4, it shows up in CCC as 12.6 drivers. Never had this happen either :cry:
Also in Game Stock Car 2012, the 2 right screens flicker while in the car. I can make it quit doing this if I uninstall 12.6 and install 12.4's but again, CCC shows as 12.6 after this. :eek:

fantastik250

Distinguished
Okay go to Device Manager->Click on the little white arrow Display Adapters->Right-click your card->Click on Properites->Click on Uninstall (Then mark the box next to Delete the driver software for this device.

Reboot, and go into safe mode and reinstall 12.4

NitroStar

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010

I uninstalled this way but now any driver I install, CCC does not know the version number :( . When I check for updates after installing 12.4, it says my version is up to date ???
After installing the 12.4 drivers, it made the flickering stop in Game Stock Car on the 2 right Eyefinity screens but the Core Clock still drops to 500mhz and goes back to 940mhz during pCARS racing. I have reported this on the WMD pCARS website though. Wonder why CCC will not give version number? And wonder why it is so hard to completely wipe out CCC drivers now?

NitroStar

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010

Thanks for link. I tried this and extra for a couple hours. Then I tried it after using Driver Sweeper ( old non adware version). After I follow all instruction and install 12.4 drivers, it lists the driver version as: 12.6 and "up to date". :eek: It lists the driver version as: "Not Available". I downloaded 12.3 drivers and done the same thing and this worked :bounce: . I have turned in 2 AMD driver issue reports on this also. Thanks indeed.

NitroStar

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
I can not use ATI 12.6 or 12.7 beta drivers. They cause the right 2 screens of my Eyefinity setup to flicker when running Race 07, Game Stock Car 2012, and slightly in Dirt 3. The 12.3 drivers appears to get a couple of fps less in new games but at least my older ones run correctly so I am happy enough now :).