Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard worries

Last response: in Systems
September 6, 2012 11:50:49 AM

I am currently in the making of my pc and i was fairly new to it and i had screwed in my motherboard onto the flat part of the case, I had noticed that my case screws came with mounting screw but i did not use them, if i did use them i don't believe that my motherboard would fit the i/o shield and if i did not use them should i be worried for the solding pins touching the case

More about : motherboard worries

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 6, 2012 12:01:18 PM

Absolutely yes. The stand offs should be installed, if not you could fry your whole system.
September 6, 2012 12:06:21 PM

I made the mistake of not using standoffs, and lost my ethernet due to short circuit as a result. Lesson learned. Use standoffs.
Related resources
September 6, 2012 12:40:44 PM

I've just put the standoff in, thanks for the help guys, What screw woulod you recommend to put over the top of the standoff?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 6, 2012 12:44:46 PM

If you mean what screws should you use to attach the mobo to the stand offs with? The screws that came with your mobo.
September 6, 2012 1:07:24 PM

All been done now, thanks for the help though
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 6, 2012 1:13:50 PM

No problem, good luck with the rest of your build.
September 6, 2012 1:25:50 PM

There are a few cases where the baseplate has 'moulded' standoffs, only come across it once or twice though. By far the majority use the little hex screw standoffs. It should be pretty obvious once you have the i/o shield in place and offer up the board. Usually there are a couple of springy bits to push against and just hook under. With the board against the i/o shield it should be perfectly flat and supported only at the raised points where the securing screws go through. If you have it pushed up to the i/o shield, run your finger down the edge of the board and the baseplate to back of the board, should be gap between them and it should be the same all the way round (if there is a gap at the i/o end and it tapers right down to nothing then that is wrong). Badly explained...but hope you get the idea!

I'd imagine that if they were supplied with the case then they are designed to be used, you risk electrical shorting otherwise.
!