Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade Advice

Last response: in Systems
September 6, 2012 11:54:19 AM

Hey guys, I am looking to either upgrade my current PC or build a new one based on the advice I receive here.

Current Specs:
i5 750 Lynnfield (stock clocked & cooled)
Gigabyte p55ud3
4gb xms3 1333 (single channel)
HD Radeon 5850
Corsair TX650
Corsair WD Black 640gb
Antec 300

The build is mainly used for web/graphic design, video editing and gaming. What I am wondering is if it is worth it to build a new comp now and upgrade to Ivy/Sandy-E or wait it out and upgrade to Haswell.

If it is advised to keep the current build then there are a few things that I would like to upgrade. Also every piece, except for maybe the cooler as I may do a custom loop in the Haswell, that I upgrade now I would like to be able to use in the Haswell build.

- Get an aftermarket cooler and OC the i5 to squeeze out the last bit of performance until Haswell
- Grab more ram as lately I have been getting the windows notice that my computer is running low on memory
- Possibly a SSD
- Upgrade GPU but I am worried something like a gtx 670 or 680 would get bottlenecked on the i5

Edit: Also 2 of the main games I play are World of Warcraft and BF3 and I read this on the august 2012 gaming cpu post here "Where we do see the potential for Sandy Bridge-E to drive additional performance is in processor-bound games like World of Warcraft or the multiplayer component of Battlefield 3." Question still remains though, should I OC and wait or pull the trigger now?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

More about : upgrade advice

September 6, 2012 12:04:41 PM

id just get a i7 3770k system. Sandy bridge e costs much more (both mobo and the CPU) and its power cannot be used unless you do a ton of rendering. even then the i7 3770k performs decently close

the gtx670 shouldnt be bottlenecked. its still decently fast
m
l
September 6, 2012 12:05:27 PM

ahh. i see a problem. you should be running your ram in a dual channel config. single channel is sloowwww
m
l
Related resources
September 6, 2012 2:16:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

I didn't actually know that the ram was running single channel til I opened cpu-z today to write down a list of parts I currently had. Gonna try to get it running in dual channel.

So you think its definitely worth getting the 3770k now instead of waiting with the 750 and getting a Haswell? I don't plan on getting both.
m
l
September 6, 2012 2:28:00 PM

its worth getting but if you want to wait for hasewell, you can do that too
m
l
!