Sign in with
Your question

First time building! Need help and suggestions!!

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 6, 2012 12:40:59 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: 2-3 weeks (Currently Sept. 06. 2012 , Latest build finish : End of Sept)

Budget Range: 1.7k SGD - 2k SGD ( 1.4k USD- 1.6k USD ) Before / After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, VFX / rendering.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts : newegg.com, hardwarezone.com.sg

Parts Preferences: I am not really particular to any make or brand.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

So this is what i came up with. :D  :bounce: 

Mobo
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO

CPU
INTEL i7 3770

CPU COOLER
COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO TURBO

MEMORY
CORSAIR VENGEANCE 16GB

STORAGE
WD BLACK 2TB

VIDEO CARD
GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB

CASING
NZXT PHANTOM 410

POWER SUPPLY
CORSAIR HX650

OPTICAL DRIVE
LG22/24X

It would really be nice if you guys could give me more advice and suggestions on this. :) 

Thank you for your time and assistance! :) 

Have a good day! :) 

More about : time building suggestions

September 6, 2012 1:27:21 PM

Only you would know if you really NEED i7, for your rendering work. You certainly don't need it for gaming (no advantage there)
One of the benefits of that mobo is that it makes overclocking easy, so it's not really necessary to match it with a locked processor. If you DEFINITELY don't want to overclock, use a H77 mobo. Exactly the same features, just not overclocking. Personally, I think it rarely makes sense not to, at least, give yourself the OPTION of overclocking in the future. If you keep the Z77 mobo, use an unlocked "K" processor, then, if you do find you want to overclock, in the future, all you need is a cheap, aftermarket cooler, for your CPU.
All the rest of your choices seem fine.
m
l
September 6, 2012 1:42:35 PM

malbluff said:
Only you would know if you really NEED i7, for your rendering work. You certainly don't need it for gaming (no advantage there)
One of the benefits of that mobo is that it makes overclocking easy, so it's not really necessary to match it with a locked processor. If you DEFINITELY don't want to overclock, use a H77 mobo. Exactly the same features, just not overclocking. Personally, I think it rarely makes sense not to, at least, give yourself the OPTION of overclocking in the future. If you keep the Z77 mobo, use an unlocked "K" processor, then, if you do find you want to overclock, in the future, all you need is a cheap, aftermarket cooler, for your CPU.

^---This is good advice... also If I were you I would get a 120gb samsung 830 ssd card for your OS and a few favorite games.
m
l
Related resources
September 6, 2012 4:15:45 PM

malbluff said:

thx man! thats really helpful. i decided that i may overclock in the future so i decided to go with a 3770k.

m
l
September 6, 2012 6:05:50 PM

Looks very nice build now. One thing I've just noticed. You don't specify EXACTLY which RAM you are proposing. If using an aftermarket cooler, you need to be sure that RAM doesn't have high (sawtooth) heatsinks, that may clash, physically, with the cooler. I don't think the EVO cooler is a particular issue, in this respect, but may be wise to use low profile RAM. You, ideally, want 1600MHz cas9 (or lower), with voltage 1.5v, or lower. You can download a VERY comprehensive QVL list from Asus' tech specs, for the board, of all the RAM's that have been tested with that board.
Sorry I only just spotted that.
m
l
September 7, 2012 9:03:58 AM

malbluff said:
Looks very nice build now. One thing I've just noticed. You don't specify EXACTLY which RAM you are proposing. If using an aftermarket cooler, you need to be sure that RAM doesn't have high (sawtooth) heatsinks, that may clash, physically, with the cooler. I don't think the EVO cooler is a particular issue, in this respect, but may be wise to use low profile RAM. You, ideally, want 1600MHz cas9 (or lower), with voltage 1.5v, or lower. You can download a VERY comprehensive QVL list from Asus' tech specs, for the board, of all the RAM's that have been tested with that board.
Sorry I only just spotted that.

Thx for pointing that out!

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory - 1.5V

OR

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory - 1.5V

Correct me if iam wrong but I'd assume the 2x8 would be the better option? since i may overclock in the future..
So should i go for the 16gb(2x8)?
m
l
September 7, 2012 11:07:43 AM

2x8 certainly gives you better options, for upgrade. You will probably find there are very few 2x8 options, on mobo QVL. That does mean they won't work, just not tested on the board. Main thing is to be sure that heatsinks don't clash with cooler. Not always easy to be sure, in advance, so generally better to use low profile ram.
m
l
September 7, 2012 4:33:53 PM

malbluff said:
2x8 certainly gives you better options, for upgrade. You will probably find there are very few 2x8 options, on mobo QVL. That does mean they won't work, just not tested on the board. Main thing is to be sure that heatsinks don't clash with cooler. Not always easy to be sure, in advance, so generally better to use low profile ram.

Alright thx! will keep that in mind:) 
m
l
!