Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New PC. what programs to get? tips?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
September 6, 2012 1:32:23 PM

Hello,
just got my new pc but unsure as to what programs to get. Microcenter(who built it} loaded all Windows 7 stuff i think, but that's it. i know i had a buncha versions of NET Frameworks that some of my game mods used. right now looks like i only have NET 4 client profile. is this backwards compatible? which other NETs do i need and where to get'em?

also, someone gave me a great tip. not to ever defrag my SSD. i woulda definitely done that if i hadn't known. so any tips like that would be helpful too.
and my 2TB harddrive is showing 0C in Speedfan. was it not installed correctly? do i need to format it?
thanks!

More about : programs tips

September 6, 2012 3:07:39 PM

what are your specs? speedfan is not something i would use. your hard drive wont overheat so dont worry about it
m
0
l
September 6, 2012 3:27:39 PM

here's a cutnpaste...
```````````````````````````````````````````

NZXT Crafted Series Phantom ATX Full Tower Gaming

Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz LGA 1155 Processor

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Mobo

850w Corsair PSU

Cooler Master TPC-812 CPU Cooler

EVGA 04G-P4-2673-KR GeForce GTX 670 Superclocked 4GB

Corsair Vengeance Series 16GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800)

Crucial m4 CT256M4SSD2 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Int

Seagate 2TB 7200 SATA 6
```````````````````````````````````````````````````

looks like the gtx 670 is using an old driver (8. something). should i get the 301 driver or 306 beta?
m
0
l
Related resources
September 6, 2012 3:37:04 PM

dont know why you got a 4gb 670 when the extra vram is useless. if you are running multi-monitor, you should be getting a 7970

sabertooth armour traps heat more than it would reduce heat

should have gotten the phantom 410 but ok



your software should work fine. try installing it
m
0
l
September 6, 2012 3:48:34 PM

do you have a temperature sensor on the hard drive so that it can actually display a temperature? chances are the 0c reading is because it has no data. unless you have zero case airflow i wouldnt worry about them overheating. i put a wd black drive in a external enclosure and it gets a little warm but nothing i would worry about so you should be perfectly fine.

not sure about NET

programs you should have:

latest windows updates (check)
latest video card drivers (check)
check the mb disk for programs you might like
adobe reader X
winrar
ms office, openoffice or equivalent
latest ie (or firefox or chrome if you so desire)
some form of image editor be it ps or paid software or free software like gimp

optional....
nero suite or equivalent (nice for copying disks, burning disks, creating iso files)
daemontools (useful for reading iso files and editing iso files if you have pro)

as far as other programs... this depends on what you plan to do with the pc. we all have programs we like to use...

personally i do not use speedfan or any other temperature monitor. i do not find it necessary.
m
0
l
September 6, 2012 4:02:42 PM

7-zip over winrar though :p 

IrfanView is a good free software for viewing pictures.
m
0
l
September 6, 2012 4:03:33 PM

I enjoy using MPC, HWmonitor, GIMP (never use it though -.-"), Winrar. A few other things aswell for various uses (stuff like vent. etc)
m
0
l
September 6, 2012 4:15:38 PM

MS office
KM player over VLC
7 ZIP over winrar
free antivirus-avast or avg
ccleaner
firefox or chrome or IE.
foxit reader or adobe reader.
m
0
l
September 6, 2012 5:50:46 PM

how's 7-zip better than Winrar? always liked winrar.

and where to install STEAM? the SSD or hdd. don't wanna fill the ssd up to much
m
0
l
September 6, 2012 6:01:31 PM

7-Zip is faster.
m
0
l
September 6, 2012 7:01:01 PM

go to ninite.com if u are lazy
m
0
l
September 6, 2012 7:24:08 PM

First off, you should download and install all the latest drivers for applicable hardware...

Here's a list of the components you should download all the latest drivers for...

Drivers:
Motherboard
chipset
network interface card
usb
audio
Video card

Afterwards, you should download and install all critical updates for Windows 7. Depending on your internet speed, this could take quite a few minutes.

After downloading drivers and updates, get an antivirus. I'm gonna recommend two free and effective options. I suggest you download and install Microsoft Security Essentials. It is an amazing, light-weight antivirus. Afterwards, download and install Malwarebytes Antimalware. This program is to be used in conjunction with your antivirus. You only have to run it every month or so. This program will detect any viruses that MSE leaves behind. Links below:

Just download, install, and update (both programs):

MSE:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/sec...

Malwarebytes:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Oh, and I almost forgot; you'll definitely want a browser other than that god-forsaken internet explorer :p 

Try Google Chrome...

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

It's generally light-weight, simple, stable and fast.
m
0
l
September 6, 2012 8:34:04 PM

Mookeylama said:
and where to install STEAM? the SSD or hdd. don't wanna fill the ssd up to much


Actually that's one of the problems I have with Steam. I'm pretty sure it defaults all the game files to the C drive... anyway, you can't change it. The only way is to fake Steam by physically moving the game files yourself after you installed that game and then create a link on the C drive pointing to the drive you located it to. I haven't done this yet myself but need to as my SSD is filling up.
m
0
l
September 6, 2012 9:52:35 PM

DeusAres said:
First off, you should download and install all the latest drivers for applicable hardware...

Here's a list of the components you should download all the latest drivers for...

Drivers:
Motherboard
chipset
network interface card
usb
audio
Video card




https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

It's generally light-weight, simple, stable and fast.


where do i find all those drivers? would a utility like Slimdrivers get all these updated drivers?
m
0
l
September 6, 2012 9:55:36 PM

Dont worry about the HDD temp, as long as you have good case airflow you will be fine. ie, 1x front, 1x back, and maybe 1x on side or top.
m
0
l
September 6, 2012 10:11:03 PM

mmaatt747 said:
Actually that's one of the problems I have with Steam. I'm pretty sure it defaults all the game files to the C drive... anyway, you can't change it. The only way is to fake Steam by physically moving the game files yourself after you installed that game and then create a link on the C drive pointing to the drive you located it to. I haven't done this yet myself but need to as my SSD is filling up.


This is not entirely true. If you install steam into its default location (C: ) then steam, in turn, will install all of the games you have onto the C: drive. If, however, you install steam onto a different drive (say E: ) then steam will install all of the games onto that drive instead.


About the drivers, they should all be available from the motherboard vendor's site. Just go there and find a link for drivers then it should ask you in some way what motherboard you have. After that it should give you a list of all the drivers available for your motherboard (which will also cover the chipset, network card, usb, and audio).
Same for the Video card, go to the vendor's website and tell them what video card you have.
m
0
l
September 6, 2012 10:29:04 PM

thanks! i went to ASUS to the Sabertooth z77 area. checked Windows 7 64bit, and it's giving me a buncha downloads, like BIOS, bios utility, SATA, chipset, VGA, ect. do i need all of these? there's multiple files for each that i just listed. like there's 7 files for BIOS
m
0
l
September 6, 2012 10:43:28 PM

Yeah, may as well download all the drivers. All I listed were the critical ones. Some of those are optional, but it wouldn't hurt to have 'em.
m
0
l
September 6, 2012 11:05:29 PM

so i'm guessing i dl the one with the most recent date. like since there's 7 updates for the BIOS i just need to get the most recent one?
m
0
l
September 7, 2012 12:14:01 AM

j2j663 said:
This is not entirely true. If you install steam into its default location (C: ) then steam, in turn, will install all of the games you have onto the C: drive. If, however, you install steam onto a different drive (say E: ) then steam will install all of the games onto that drive instead.


Ok, so you can decide the install location. But my point was once you've decided on where you want steam games, then that's it. You can't change it. The reason I don't like this is because I would like to be able to choose where to install games. My resource demanding games (Skyrim, BF3, etc.) I have on my SSD. This is to get the best performance and load times. But all of my other games I would like to be able to install to my HDD as there is much more room available there.
m
0
l
September 7, 2012 12:50:13 AM

i saw an app called Steam Mover that's supposed to let you move games.

now anyone have advice of which of those mobo updates i need?
m
0
l
September 7, 2012 1:54:02 AM

Mookeylama said:
i saw an app called Steam Mover that's supposed to let you move games.

now anyone have advice of which of those mobo updates i need?


Oh nice Mookeylama. Just watched a video on youtube about that app... pretty cool. I'll have to give it a shot thanks. :D 

As for the updates. I found updates for BIOS, network interface card, usb, and audio all on ASUS' website (I have an ASUS motherboard as well, different board though).

Here is the link for your board:
http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABE...

For the video card, you can simply download that from Nvidea's website.

Some people suggest that you don't update BIOS unless you are experiencing problems... otherwise you could actually make things worse.
m
0
l
September 7, 2012 2:24:24 AM

I agree with mmaatt. The general rule on BIOS updates is, if it isn't broke don't fix it.
m
0
l
September 7, 2012 3:37:20 AM

yeah that SteamMover looks pretty good. i went ahead and installed STEAM to the SSD so i'll use it later to move games.

but yes ...i have the ASUS site with the drivers. but does ANYONE know which of those goddamn updates i need to install?! there's multiple ones for each catagory. even excluding the bios, there's like 7 SATA, 4 LAN, 17 Utility, 2 chipset, ect. so far the only one i've felt comfotable installing was the chipset, since there were only 2 and 1 was an installation utility.
m
0
l
September 7, 2012 3:55:00 AM

Sorry about posting the same link you already posted Mookeylama... somehow I missed that last few posts before my latest post.

Anyway, don't stress too much about what to download. I know it can be overwhelming looking at all of the options on the download page. As for the utilities, I wouldn't download any of them as you'll most likely never use them. And if you ever find you do need one, they will always be available to download when you do.

For the LAN, I just see 2 drivers (just download the latest version).

For SATA (I only see 3 downloads), what you want to download depends on what SATA port on your motherboard you have your SSD installed. If it's in the Asmedia port, download the Asmedia controller driver. If it's in the Intel port, downoad that driver (the latest version).
m
0
l
September 7, 2012 4:41:05 AM

oh no problem. i really appreciate you looking. and i hate to ask 1 last question, but i'm so close lol.

any way to tell which port my SSD is in? or do i need to open the case up? thanks again!
m
0
l

Best solution

September 7, 2012 1:33:11 PM

Yea you can boot into BIOS and then go to the Advanced section. Then click on the "Advanced" tab at the top and go to "SATA Configuration". It will then tell you the color of the SATA port that contains your drives. (This is on page 3-24 of the manual for your board).

On page ix of the manual it tells you what the ports are by color. So brown is Intel and gray is Asmedia.

Hope this helps.
Share
September 7, 2012 2:31:31 PM

Mookeylama said:
yeah that SteamMover looks pretty good. i went ahead and installed STEAM to the SSD so i'll use it later to move games.

but yes ...i have the ASUS site with the drivers. but does ANYONE know which of those goddamn updates i need to install?! there's multiple ones for each catagory. even excluding the bios, there's like 7 SATA, 4 LAN, 17 Utility, 2 chipset, ect. so far the only one i've felt comfotable installing was the chipset, since there were only 2 and 1 was an installation utility.

Obviously you want to install the latest updates.
m
0
l
September 7, 2012 3:51:12 PM

mmaatt747 said:
Yea you can boot into BIOS and then go to the Advanced section. Then click on the "Advanced" tab at the top and go to "SATA Configuration". It will then tell you the color of the SATA port that contains your drives. (This is on page 3-24 of the manual for your board).

On page ix of the manual it tells you what the ports are by color. So brown is Intel and gray is Asmedia.

Hope this helps.


hey would it be ok to install both of the port updates? since they are differnt ports, wouldn't they both need updating eventually, regardless of which is being used?

edit: okay found out its brown so Intel...
i'm installing the SATA update for Smart Connect and i get to a section that wants me to choose between something like iSCagent or iSCgui. which one do i choose? thanks again!
m
0
l
September 8, 2012 1:27:14 PM

Best answer selected by Mookeylama.
m
0
l
!