Sign in with
Your question
Closed

7970 vs 670

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 19, 2012 2:59:23 AM

So there's this beast sale and the 7970 is only 370$ with battlefield 3 and other games.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

Is it worth it to buy that or the gtx 670? Do you think the sale will last until august 6? And is there a way to make it so that the price stays the same until august 6?

More about : 7970 670

a c 106 U Graphics card
July 19, 2012 3:18:04 AM

tiger directs sales would never last for that long period of time.
Score
July 19, 2012 3:31:05 AM

Obviously the 7970, why? Well the 7970 is right now even a bit better than the 680 due to the latest drivers, and the 670 is a lesser product than the 680.Although the 670 is a good bang for the buck , the 7970 is priced so nice there, so go go !
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
July 19, 2012 3:56:31 AM

That's an amazing deal. Go for it. As stated above 7970 got some new drivers so their performance is better than prior benchmarks.
Score
a c 620 U Graphics card
July 19, 2012 8:25:25 AM

Depends on if you ever intend to play any games that feature Physx. I used to play without it and felt like I was missing out until I finally upgraded to a card that supports Physx. Now that I have it, I would never go back. There are several new games coming out that support Physx that should be pretty good with the added effects.
Score
a c 185 U Graphics card
July 19, 2012 8:49:12 AM

davemaster84 said:
Obviously the 7970, why? Well the 7970 is right now even a bit better than the 680 due to the latest drivers, and the 670 is a lesser product than the 680.Although the 670 is a good bang for the buck , the 7970 is priced so nice there, so go go !
Not really the correct answer is they are both essentially the same in performance overall. Depending on which games you intend to play, one will perform better than the other. ;) 
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 19, 2012 8:58:16 AM

17seconds said:
Depends on if you ever intend to play any games that feature Physx. I used to play without it and felt like I was missing out until I finally upgraded to a card that supports Physx. Now that I have it, I would never go back. There are several new games coming out that support Physx that should be pretty good with the added effects.

i wouldn't really agree with that. PhysX isn't all that great. My roommate has a GTX 570 and in the games that do support it, the difference isn't all that much for most of them, just some added in extra effects. I would never recommend a nVidia card just to get PhysX support. If all the games you are playing happen to support it then sure, but otherwise, no.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 19, 2012 9:11:24 AM

That is a fantastic deal, go with the 7970.
Score

Best solution

July 19, 2012 10:49:18 AM

Fact of the matter is they're both good in their own ways. In overall performance its VERY close and the difference is not too noticeable. But you have to see what market you are aiming for. If its gaming then i would say Nvidia simply because at the current moment they're more supported by the Game Industry and i know this for a fact because i'm a game developer and I've spent countless hours doing research at what GPU's most programs are optimized including Game Engines. The architecture of the GPU is just much more streamlined.

On the other hand Radeon is far superior when it comes to video. By miles the Radeon will destroy Nvidia when it comes to editing, playback, and even audio if you wish to use HDMI. Some people even say that the HDMI audio that you get from Radeon's are just about the same as the quality off of a studio sound card. But also when it comes to shaders in games, you do sometimes see better performance in gradiance over Nvidia.

Overall, they're both good and they all have their pluses and minuses. if you're running Intel i would strongly suggest Nvidia because Intel MB tend to have better performance while an AMD board you generally see better output with a Radeon. I know i probably will get a lot of arguments against it but this doesn't apply to EVERY board. Simply some boards will bottleneck when they come across some specific GPU architectures that may have strings that possibly may clash with CPU strings.

So long story short, make sure the MB and the CPU work well with that specific Video Card. I know the performance at the end isn't going to be drastically noticeable but when it comes to reaching the limits of their performance (e.g. Overclocking, SLI/Crossfire, or even chaining), you may see conflicts within the CPU, MB, and GPU arise. P.S. I have heard that Radeon's sometimes have problems going Crossfire like the performance increase is so minor that you get as low as 5% boost in performance.
July 26, 2012 2:39:36 AM

Best answer selected by badhomaks.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 11:26:35 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!