JPG size conversion.

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
September 19, 2005 1:49:39 PM

I have hundreds of photos all at full 8MPixel size on my computer and I
would like to put a copy of them onto my other computer (living room,
through the TV), but I want to reduce their size first to save megabytes
maybe even gigabytes of space on the smaller hard disk.

I can't be bothered opening them up one-at-a-time in Paint Shop Pro (or
similar) and doing 'resize', then saving again, so is there a piece of
software you guys can recommend for resizing photos en-mass?

Thanks

More about : jpg size conversion

Anonymous
September 19, 2005 1:49:40 PM

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:49:39 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "GT"
<ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have hundreds of photos all at full 8MPixel size on my computer and I
>would like to put a copy of them onto my other computer (living room,
>through the TV), but I want to reduce their size first to save megabytes
>maybe even gigabytes of space on the smaller hard disk.
>
>I can't be bothered opening them up one-at-a-time in Paint Shop Pro (or
>similar) and doing 'resize', then saving again, so is there a piece of
>software you guys can recommend for resizing photos en-mass?

http://www.irfanview.com
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
September 19, 2005 1:49:40 PM

GT wrote:
> I have hundreds of photos all at full 8MPixel size on my computer and
> I would like to put a copy of them onto my other computer (living
> room, through the TV), but I want to reduce their size first to save
> megabytes maybe even gigabytes of space on the smaller hard disk.

Could you write all the JPEG images to a CD or DVD and see if the TV can
display them (assuming it has a player)? I believe some people have had
success with this although whether just writing the files to the root
directory is enough I don't know. It depends on the DVD player as well.

David
September 19, 2005 1:49:40 PM

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, GT <ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I can't be bothered opening them up one-at-a-time in Paint Shop Pro (or
>similar) and doing 'resize', then saving again, so is there a piece of
>software you guys can recommend for resizing photos en-mass?

I use Easy Thumbnails (www.fookes.com) with the command line option. I have
a program that calculates the reduction I want, always in 1/8s, and calls
it using this facility.

Don <www.donwiss.com&gt; (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 1:49:40 PM

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:49:39 +0100, GT wrote:

> I have hundreds of photos all at full 8MPixel size on my computer and I
> would like to put a copy of them onto my other computer (living room,
> through the TV), but I want to reduce their size first to save megabytes
> maybe even gigabytes of space on the smaller hard disk.
>
> I can't be bothered opening them up one-at-a-time in Paint Shop Pro (or
> similar) and doing 'resize', then saving again, so is there a piece of
> software you guys can recommend for resizing photos en-mass?
>
> Thanks

JpegSizer is a versatile image resizing utility. You can download a free
trial at the link below.

Peter

--
Versatile image resizer for web pages, email attachments
and online photo-printing services

"GT" <ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have hundreds of photos all at full 8MPixel size on my computer and I
>would like to put a copy of them onto my other computer (living room,
>through the TV), but I want to reduce their size first to save megabytes
>maybe even gigabytes of space on the smaller hard disk.
>
> I can't be bothered opening them up one-at-a-time in Paint Shop Pro (or
> similar) and doing 'resize', then saving again, so is there a piece of
> software you guys can recommend for resizing photos en-mass?
>
> Thanks

I can recommend Faststone Photo Resizer. www.faststone.org

Graham
September 19, 2005 2:12:54 PM

You can write a script for PSP to do this - depending on which version you
have (8 or above i know is OK).

You then call the scipt in the batch convert tool under the file menu.

Alex

"GT" <ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have hundreds of photos all at full 8MPixel size on my computer and I
>would like to put a copy of them onto my other computer (living room,
>through the TV), but I want to reduce their size first to save megabytes
>maybe even gigabytes of space on the smaller hard disk.
>
> I can't be bothered opening them up one-at-a-time in Paint Shop Pro (or
> similar) and doing 'resize', then saving again, so is there a piece of
> software you guys can recommend for resizing photos en-mass?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
September 19, 2005 4:01:15 PM

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:49:39 +0100, GT wrote:

> I have hundreds of photos all at full 8MPixel size on my computer and I
> would like to put a copy of them onto my other computer (living room,
> through the TV), but I want to reduce their size first to save megabytes
> maybe even gigabytes of space on the smaller hard disk.
>
> I can't be bothered opening them up one-at-a-time in Paint Shop Pro (or
> similar) and doing 'resize', then saving again, so is there a piece of
> software you guys can recommend for resizing photos en-mass?
>
> Thanks
Copy them on to a cdrom and play that on your other computer.
--
Neil
Delete delete to reply by email

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:BuvXe.111276$G8.94833@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> GT wrote:
>> I have hundreds of photos all at full 8MPixel size on my computer and
>> I would like to put a copy of them onto my other computer (living
>> room, through the TV), but I want to reduce their size first to save
>> megabytes maybe even gigabytes of space on the smaller hard disk.
>
> Could you write all the JPEG images to a CD or DVD and see if the TV can
> display them (assuming it has a player)? I believe some people have had
> success with this although whether just writing the files to the root
> directory is enough I don't know. It depends on the DVD player as well.

Yes, but they are too big for a CD (don't have DVD writer). Even photos from
a 2 week holiday won't fit on 1 CD. That is what I plan to do with them once
I have reduced them all, but I have over 1100 photos already in 72 folders
and taking up 4.5 GB!!
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 9:26:50 PM

GT wrote:
> "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
> wrote in message
>> GT wrote:
>>> I have hundreds of photos all at full 8MPixel size on my computer
>>> and I would like to put a copy of them onto my other computer
>>> (living room, through the TV), but I want to reduce their size
>>> first to save megabytes maybe even gigabytes of space on the
>>> smaller hard disk.
>>
>> Could you write all the JPEG images to a CD or DVD and see if the
>> TV
>> can display them (assuming it has a player)? I believe some people
>> have had success with this although whether just writing the files
>> to the root directory is enough I don't know. It depends on the
>> DVD
>> player as well.
>
> Yes, but they are too big for a CD (don't have DVD writer). Even
> photos from a 2 week holiday won't fit on 1 CD. That is what I plan
> to do with them once I have reduced them all, but I have over 1100
> photos already in 72 folders and taking up 4.5 GB!!

I second the nomination of IrfanView. The batch facility allows exact
sizing and numerous other adjustments, leaving the originals original,
and placing the reduced and adjusted products in a directory of your
choice. Relatively quick and easy once you've explored the options.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

GT wrote:
> "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
> wrote in message
>> GT wrote:
>>> I have hundreds of photos all at full 8MPixel size on my computer
>>> and I would like to put a copy of them onto my other computer
>>> (living room, through the TV), but I want to reduce their size
>>> first to save megabytes maybe even gigabytes of space on the
>>> smaller hard disk.
>>
>> Could you write all the JPEG images to a CD or DVD and see if the TV
>> can display them (assuming it has a player)? I believe some people
>> have had success with this although whether just writing the files
>> to the root directory is enough I don't know. It depends on the DVD
>> player as well.
>
> Yes, but they are too big for a CD (don't have DVD writer). Even
> photos from a 2 week holiday won't fit on 1 CD. That is what I plan
> to do with them once I have reduced them all, but I have over 1100
> photos already in 72 folders and taking up 4.5 GB!!

Get a DVD writer! About GBP 30 (US $50?). I estimated that your 8MP
images were about 2MB (like mine) so a CD would accommodate 300 images.
1100 is a little different! Be aware that there may be a 99 file limit
when putting images onto a DVD - at least there used to be.....

For automated resampling, I would first try IrfanView.

Cheers,
David
September 19, 2005 9:28:05 PM

"Neil Ellwood" <carl.elllwood2@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.09.19.12.02.33.271338@btopenworld.com...
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:49:39 +0100, GT wrote:
>
>> I have hundreds of photos all at full 8MPixel size on my computer and I
>> would like to put a copy of them onto my other computer (living room,
>> through the TV), but I want to reduce their size first to save megabytes
>> maybe even gigabytes of space on the smaller hard disk.
>>
>> I can't be bothered opening them up one-at-a-time in Paint Shop Pro (or
>> similar) and doing 'resize', then saving again, so is there a piece of
>> software you guys can recommend for resizing photos en-mass?
>>
>> Thanks
> Copy them on to a cdrom and play that on your other computer.
There are 4.5GB of them!!
September 19, 2005 9:59:06 PM

message news:SMBXe.111447$G8.99472@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> GT wrote:
>> "David J Taylor"
>> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
>> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Could you write all the JPEG images to a CD or DVD and see if the TV
>>> can display them (assuming it has a player)? I believe some people
>>> have had success with this although whether just writing the files
>>> to the root directory is enough I don't know. It depends on the DVD
>>> player as well.
>>
>> Yes, but they are too big for a CD (don't have DVD writer). Even
>> photos from a 2 week holiday won't fit on 1 CD. That is what I plan
>> to do with them once I have reduced them all, but I have over 1100
>> photos already in 72 folders and taking up 4.5 GB!!
>
> Get a DVD writer! About GBP 30 (US $50?). I estimated that your 8MP
> images were about 2MB (like mine) so a CD would accommodate 300 images.
> 1100 is a little different! Be aware that there may be a 99 file limit
> when putting images onto a DVD - at least there used to be.....
>
> For automated resampling, I would first try IrfanView.

Will look into IrfanView tonight. Files are between 4 and 7MB each (most
around 4-5). Converted from CR2 (Canon 350d) files using maximum JPG
quality.

Thanks for all the advice
September 20, 2005 12:21:34 AM

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:26:49 +0100, "GT" <ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, but they are too big for a CD (don't have DVD writer). Even photos from
> a 2 week holiday won't fit on 1 CD. That is what I plan to do with them once
> I have reduced them all, but I have over 1100 photos already in 72 folders
> and taking up 4.5 GB!!

Consider buying a DVD burner. They are practically giving them away these days. $50 will get you a
good one.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 2:18:23 AM

"GT" <ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com> writes:

>I can't be bothered opening them up one-at-a-time in Paint Shop Pro (or
>similar) and doing 'resize', then saving again, so is there a piece of
>software you guys can recommend for resizing photos en-mass?

Irfanview. If you select one of the more expensive resampling functions
(I tend to use Lanczos), it does an excellent job of retaining all the
detail it can in the smaller image without creating artifacts. You can
also do a little bit of sharpening (suggested amount 10) at the same
time.

It will process a whole directory full of files in a batch while you
eat supper.

Dave
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 2:22:18 AM

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> writes:

>Could you write all the JPEG images to a CD or DVD and see if the TV can
>display them (assuming it has a player)? I believe some people have had
>success with this although whether just writing the files to the root
>directory is enough I don't know. It depends on the DVD player as well.

The maximum useful image resolution for display on a NTSC TV is 640x480,
about 0.3 megapixels. (PAL is a bit better). Even if the DVD player
can handle and display the 8 MP original images, they will take up 26
times more space and take 26 times longer to read while providing no
better quality, compared to resizing to 640x480 before writing the DVD.

Even with HDTV, there's no point in writing images larger than 2 MP.

Dave
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 5:09:17 AM

GT wrote:

> I have hundreds of photos all at full 8MPixel size [...] I can't be
> bothered opening them up one-at-a-time in Paint Shop Pro
> (or similar) and doing 'resize', then saving again, so is there a
> piece of software you guys can recommend for resizing photos en-mass?

The command-line tools (namely, "convert":
<http://www.imagemagick.org/script/convert.php&gt;) in the ImageMagick
package:

<http://www.imagemagick.org/&gt;

It's a free download.

--
znark
Anonymous

Dave Martindale wrote:

> The maximum useful image resolution for display on a NTSC TV is
> 640x480,

If storing the images in standard DVD-Video format (instead of just
creating a data DVD with some image files), the maximum allowable
resolution for MPEG stills is 720×480. This is also the native
resolution the DVD players are using for their framebuffer, so you can't
really get a higher output resolution from a normal DVD player - until
HD-DVD or something like that comes on the market.

The shape of the DVD pixels in this 720×480 grid should be thought of as
being rectangular, not square - squeezed in a tighter grid in the
horizontal direction than in the vertical direction. (In other words:
the resolution of DVD MPEG stills on an "NTSC" formatted disc is better
in the horizontal direction than it is in the vertical direction.)

The conflict between the "square" pixels of the computer and the
"rectangular" pixels of the DVD world probably doesn't probably matter
if you're only going to store JPEG files on a data CD (or on a data DVD)
and view them with your player's built-in JPEG viewer. (Modern DVD
players invariably seem to have a built-in JPEG viewer which tries to
correct the pixel aspect ratio automatically - or one would at least
_hope_ it does. Nothing is really certain when using these kind of
additional gimmick features: the "JPEG viewer" functionality does not
belong to the official DVD specification and manufacturers can freely
implement these kind of additional features as they want. Some will
probably implement it in a good way, others necessarily won't.) However,
the pixel aspect ratio _does_ matter if you're trying to create a real
DVD-Video disc - or a Video CD - with stills.

If the latter is the case, and if the DVD/VCD authoring application
you're using does not do any "smart" resizing automatically, you can
prepare the stills in just about any graphics application, using the
square-pixel resolution of 720×527, and - as a final step before
importing the pictures to the authoring app - by resizing them to
720×480. (In the vertical direction only, of course.)

--
znark
Anonymous

NoOne <NoOne@nowhere.com> wrote:

>"GT" <ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have hundreds of photos all at full 8MPixel size on my computer and I
>>would like to put a copy of them onto my other computer (living room,
>>through the TV), but I want to reduce their size first to save megabytes
>>maybe even gigabytes of space on the smaller hard disk.
>>
>> I can't be bothered opening them up one-at-a-time in Paint Shop Pro (or
>> similar) and doing 'resize', then saving again, so is there a piece of
>> software you guys can recommend for resizing photos en-mass?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>I can recommend Faststone Photo Resizer. www.faststone.org

>Graham

Irfanview will do this as a batch job.

----- Paul J. Gans
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 11:16:38 AM

Dave Martindale wrote:
> "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
> writes:
>
>> Could you write all the JPEG images to a CD or DVD and see if the TV
>> can display them (assuming it has a player)? I believe some people
>> have had success with this although whether just writing the files
>> to the root directory is enough I don't know. It depends on the DVD
>> player as well.
>
> The maximum useful image resolution for display on a NTSC TV is
> 640x480,
> about 0.3 megapixels. (PAL is a bit better). Even if the DVD player
> can handle and display the 8 MP original images, they will take up 26
> times more space and take 26 times longer to read while providing no
> better quality, compared to resizing to 640x480 before writing the
> DVD.
>
> Even with HDTV, there's no point in writing images larger than 2 MP.
>
> Dave

Agreed, Dave. I was just suggesting that as there were (apparently) a
limited number of images to display, the least effort would be writing the
images directly to the disk. It then turned out there were over a
thousand image which wouldn't fit in a CD in any case.

Any comments on the maximum number of JPEGs what a DVD player would show?
If there are thousands, I would guess that some sort of menu and hierarchy
is required just to make the display manageable.

David
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 12:28:02 AM

"GT" <ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Will look into IrfanView tonight. Files are between 4 and 7MB each (most
>around 4-5). Converted from CR2 (Canon 350d) files using maximum JPG
>quality.
>
>Thanks for all the advice

Get a TIVO DVR. They're on sale right now for $49 for a 40-hour unit.
The unit can be connected to your home network via a USB ethernet
adapter. If you're networked and install their desktop software, you
can publish selected directories directly to the TIVO and display them
on your TV.

I have not tried anything 7-meg, but I have tried 3 and 4-meg files.
Took a few seconds, but they came up just fine.
!