How much is my computer worth?

str8todamoney

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Hello,
Okay I was thinking about selling my computer because I am getting too old for video games. They are getting in the way of my study time, and I think selling it is the best solution for me. I was also thinking about buying an ipad 3 with that money so I can use it for studying. So here are the specs

Amd phenom II x4 970 3.5Ghz quad core
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1gb
3gb of ddr3 ram (idk what brand)
Asus M4N68T-M-V2 motherboard
Kuhler h2o 620 water cooler
thermaltake tr2 600w Power supply
Western digital 500gb harddrive
Microcenter 60gb solid state drive
HP H653R DVD writer/reader
Im also throwing in a samsung syncmaster 953bw monitor (19 inch)
(the case idk what brand was about 35 bucks)
I also plan to sell it with no OS because im using a downloaded version of windows 7 so i would have to format it. SO yeah i appreciate anyhelp i can get on this. Thank you

Without an OS ready to go it will limit your market quite a bit. Honestly, you might get $400 for it even with monitor at the most. Remember, they are going to have to fork over extra money for an OS unless they go with Linux or have an OS lying around.

str8todamoney

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

Really i added up all the money i spent. $740 dollars since I started building it in December last year. Why $300 or less? I built it myself also I should at least get like 30 bucks for the handiwork.

str8todamoney

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

Yeah I am.

str8todamoney

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

Seriously? My uncle is 60 and I dont think he knows what a computer is lol. Thats cool that you play games.

chugot9218

Honorable
Yes, and the parts were MAYBE new in December (as in recently released), but by now have been replaced by newer components at same or similar prices as the models you bought then. Almost anything you buy instantly depreciates in value once it is opened, and a PC is no different. Also, just because you did the work to put it together does not mean that someone wants to pay you for it. They could easily spec out a 740$ machine with brand new parts and build it themselves.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

It's like buying a new car only worse. I'd agree, $300 to $350 would be fair.

Ya I know it sucks but prices for selling are cut about 30% from the day you recieve the parts and put it together. Then that price gets cut in half at about 6 to 8 months. Then it slowly drops to an item almost no one would pay you for as the bare bones system of today with a i3 in it would be faster than this... Sorry I agree 200 to 300 US.

Thent

PS Ill give you $50 for the 970 for my sons rig :p

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

Computers depreciate in value the moment you put it together and start using it. So I would subtract $50-100 just for that. Now that your computer is about 9 months old (almost a year); the value would probably be 1/3 or 1/2 the value you built it for. Take into consideration that you are also using up the number of days/years on your warranties for your computer parts as well.

I usually depreciate the total value of a computer over the course of 3 years.

The value of electrics deflates at a ridiculous rate. To be honest, I've seen OEM (dell, hp, etc) sell at a better price than home brews because that is what people want. People would just rather have a nice used brand name over something you threw together unless they know how to fix things them self. I've found it's easier to part out old PC's that I've built. If it's a brand name you have to make sure it has a fresh OS install and looks clean to get the best price. It's just what people want.

You will have better luck selling your mobo, cpu, ram as a combo for someone that wants a cheap upgrade. The video card,PSU, Drives, and LCD might fetch a small price individually.

str8todamoney

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

Not necessarily. I live in a neighborhood where most people are hispanic and black. I can guarantee that most of them dont even like thinking about doing an antivirus check on their computer. Much less building one. I have so many friends that like playing with high graphics but arent interested in building.

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Amd phenom II x4 970 (can get a better cpu for 120)
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1gb (I can get the 6770 for 130)
4 GB of DDR 3 ram is $30
decent better micro atx board for an amd cpu ($50)
better psu 60(40 after rebates)
HD if 7200 RPM 60
SSD 60
case 35
DVD drive 30
total for better system about 600
A lot of people do not like non professionally built Water cooled systems

So without the operating system you are looking at a small audiance who would pay 300-400(with monitor).
With the OS and the monitor. you might be able to get 600. I sold a "better" computer 2 years ago for 300 it didn't have an ssd, to help pay for the new one I was building.

And your comment seemed a little racist

chugot9218

Honorable
Fair enough, you may be right, but they are still only going to pay what it's worth, and the general consensus is 3-350$. It is not practical for an individual with no connections or supplier agreements to build computers at a profit. Deprecation eliminates any opportunity for profit.

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

I have to agree with Chugot9218 that putting a PC together doesn't mean you should be compensated for it. Unless you have your own business building a computer for people, they will not give you more money for building a computer unless they specifically asked you to custom build it for them at a cost. This also applies to a newly built computer; not a computer you built 9 months ago.

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Your computer's cpu, video card, and motherboard are not available on newegg. Also you went with older parts when you got the phenom it was a year or 2 old at least.

I could break even on my computer I built it for 2 years ago I have an i5 2500k and a gtx 460 I got most of my parts on sale. I think I could get 700~ on it maybe and that breaks even with the OS. So even though your computer may be "new" it isn't by parts standards.

EDit I guess it was a year and a few months man Im out of it.

str8todamoney

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

Oh no lol im not racist im hispanic myself. But its the truth im probably the only person on my block that knows or puts interest into computers.

str8todamoney

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Aw man, I feel like that day I went to gamestop to sell my collection of like 30 ps2 games lol. This sucks. I think im just gonna keep it. There is some emotion involved in the computer too which I dont think is worth 300 or less. Well thans everybody for you answers. I really appreciate it.

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Last thing with an OS and a monitor to an untrained buyer you could get 600-700 because of the solid state drive. If you can transfer you online download of windows to a cd and then format the drives with windows on it you could put an add on craigslist saying something like. Quad core PC with Solid State HD <1 year old with Monitor you could get 600-700 depending on the area.