EVGA 670 FTW vs Gigabyte Windforce 670 vs XFX R7970 BDD

devazox

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
What a choice I have to make.

My thoughts were definitely the EVGA FTW 670.
But since yesterday the 7970 has been lowered in price, and before that everyone said get yourself the EVGA. I don't really know what to do now.

The cards mentioned all have the same price in my area, except for the EVGA which is $10 cheaper than the other two. But what is $10 on $400?

Can you guys help me out which card to choose? Or wait with order? maybe another card? :)

Thank you,
devazox

fantastik250

Distinguished
The Gigabyte Windforce 670 is probably the best all-around card you can get. Even Tom's Hardware reviewed seven different brands and the Gigabyte, got best all-around.

All-Around Best GeForce GTX 670: Gigabyte N670OC-2GD

Gigabyte's card is quiet at idle and not too loud under load. Its cooling performance at idle, during normal desktop work, and during gaming is even better than Asus' card. It ties Zotac's effort for the lowest temperature at idle, but achieves its goal at a mere 20% fan duty cycle. When we configured it to cool our card down to 70°C, its sound level was still acceptable.

This is the slimmest card in our test, it weighs the least, and is even suitable for SLI configurations on motherboards with a just a single-slot gap between 16-lane interfaces. Unfortunately, that's pretty common. Although the N670OC-2GD doesn't include the highest overclock, it's currently selling online at the same $400 price point as completely stock reference cards. And that's with the Windforce 3X cooler. That combination cannot be beat.
Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-test-review,3217-16.html

fantastik250

Distinguished
@Claysm:Yes that is correct the newer drivers does increase performance for the 7970.

But, in terms of cooling the windforce is better than the reference cooler of the 7970. As far as clocks is concerned, the windforce and the xfx dd are both overclocked meaning both will be relatively the higher performance but, the xfx 7970 will perform a bit stronger.

@devazox: Both are strong cards on that resolution.

claysm

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Yeah everything I read says that the reference 7970 cooler is overly loud, so go with an aftermarket solution if you get one.

Go with the GTX 670, get the PhysX, Adaptive VSync, FXAA, Ambient Occlusion, transparency supersampling, great driver support, better game compatibility... and never wonder if you're missing out on something.

the point in the review for is not the toxic 7970, but the doubled 7970 that was tested against reference 670(i think). Anyways offtopicwise, the toxic 7970 was designed to be a strong gpu that powers multiple screens at resolutions of 2560x1600((or heck if you are rich, 4096x2160). using the toxic at 1920x1080 would be a huge waste.

claysm

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
The fact that the Gigabyte Windforce 670 is selling for the same price as a stock 670 makes it one of the best buys on the market.

devazox

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
My last questions before i make my decision.

Which one is the best OC card?
Which one makes the least noise?
And warranty, everyone says EVGA but they both have 3 years?

devazox

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
and how about the normal asus 670, and OC it myself?
which card is the best one to OC? EVGA FTW, Gigabyte or Asus normal?

guskline

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006

I just bought 2 EVGA GTX 670 FTWs and I'm amazed at how good they are. All of your choices are excellent. Pick what you want. Your decision will be fine.

EVGA FTW because of customer service they all OC very well and pretty much the same