Solved

What does i mean in corei3.i5 and i7 processors

i need to know the meaning of core and i.what is the reason of keeping i3,i5 and i7 for a dualcore,quad core and quadcore with HT.
31 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what corei3 processors
  1. *sighs*
  2. It means "marketing thinks that putting this letter here will make it sell more".
  3. A number of years ago it was courts said that companies can not trademark or copy right numbers. So that left companies working to find brand names. In the case of our processors the Intel® Core™ processors. We than try to help the customer by breaking our models into the good, better, and best in the Intel Core i3, Intel Core i5 and Intel Core i7 processors.
  4. it mean that google is too hard to use to search for info, so Intel create the Core and iX brand.
  5. the "i" means it is made by Apple(tm).
  6. I would have to assume i=Intel.
  7. vishalaestro said:
    i need to know the meaning of core and i.what is the reason of keeping i3,i5 and i7 for a dualcore,quad core and quadcore with HT.


    I agree... the naming convention is stupid and needs to change...

    I declare that Intel should now the following names to refer to their CPUs...


    Core i3 = "Peach Fuzz"
    Core i5 = "Broccoli"
    Core i7 = "Seaweed"
  8. twelve25 said:
    I would have to assume i=Intel.

    i for id 10 T
  9. mactronix said:

    That's a good find.

    My best guess is that it doesnt have a meaning, just a letter to make it sound cool.
  10. Doesn't it mean Itanium?
  11. IntelEnthusiast said:
    A number of years ago it was courts said that companies can not trademark or copy right numbers. So that left companies working to find brand names. In the case of our processors the Intel® Core™ processors. We than try to help the customer by breaking our models into the good, better, and best in the Intel Core i3, Intel Core i5 and Intel Core i7 processors.

    so does i represents like intelligent or something.so why core i3 is said has 3 while it has only 2 cores and respectively 5 and 7 where both has only 4 cores.
  12. i = "marketing thought it sounded good and would sell products"
  13. no you are all wrong! "i" represents intels ecofriendly initiative. you see, lower case "i" takes the minimum surface area and ink to print. so when that courts said they cant trademark numbers they put an "i" there.with millions of units being produced and boxed, think how much ink and print cost they have saved.

    It's all for the planet :)
  14. satyamdubey said:
    no you are all wrong! "i" represents intels ecofriendly initiative. you see, lower case "i" takes the minimum surface area and ink to print. so when that courts said they cant trademark numbers they put an "i" there.with millions of units being produced and boxed, think how much ink and print cost they have saved.

    It's all for the planet :)

    and what about 3,5 and 7
  15. well vishal I was kidding with that answer. I know that i stands for Itanium as "linkgx1" has already mentioned. Itanium is a 64 bit architecture which intel developed and it serves as the backbone of the corei series. Itanium was jointly developed by intel and hp.

    From my understanding, core architecture and Itanium architecture have both been used for Intel's current corei series.
    whether core itself is a derivative of Itanium is something I do not know.

    Numbers 3, 5 and 7 were choosen for simplicity for clear demarcation of intels, Budget (i3), mainstream(i5) and high end parts (i7). why exactly this number set was chosen is not clearly explained though I speculate that after core solo and core2 only remaining singe digit prime numbers were 3,5 and 7. just my theory :)
  16. satyamdubey said:
    well vishal I was kidding with that answer. I know that i stands for Itanium as "linkgx1" has already mentioned. Itanium is a 64 bit architecture which intel developed and it serves as the backbone of the corei series. Itanium was jointly developed by intel and hp.

    From my understanding, core architecture and Itanium architecture have both been used for Intel's current corei series.
    whether core itself is a derivative of Itanium is something I do not know.

    Numbers 3, 5 and 7 were choosen for simplicity for clear demarcation of intels, Budget (i3), mainstream(i5) and high end parts (i7). why exactly this number set was chosen is not clearly explained though I speculate that after core solo and core2 only remaining singe digit prime numbers were 3,5 and 7. just my theory :)

    but intel uses sandybridge,ivy bridge architecture but i don't know whether they use itanium
  17. yes current architectures are not itanium rather itanium was intel's first true 64 bit implemetation architecture and it's legacy has apparently been carried over to the corei series. Not that Itanium processors are not made any more but there must be some learnings and improvements that Intel must have carried over from it and implemented it into their core architecture.
  18. Best answer
    It doesn't mean "Itanium"!

    Itanium was a totally different architecture that has been dropped by all but HP-UX servers. There is no itanium legacy in the i3/5/7 series chips.
  19. well i have been corrected :) but twelve what is the true explanation of the whole naming sccheme?
  20. Why is the Ford Escape called the Ford Escape? Why is Sprite called Sprite? Why does Western Digital use colors for their drives?

    Marketing people thought it sounded good. There doesn't have to be an interesting reason.
  21. okay :)
  22. There's really no explanation. "i3," "i5," and "i7" are just brand or model names. They decided to make the higher numbers designate faster processors... which is intuitive I think.

    It's like you can get a Ford F-150 pickup truck in "XL," "XLT," "STX" packages, etc. When I was little, I thought "XLT" meant "Xtra Large Truck," but yeah... that's not true. They denote options and features, but the letters themselves are not an abbreviation or acronym.

    Also ... i3, i5 and i7 are NOT ITANIUM ARCHITECTURE. Maybe an Intel engineer took ideas from Itanium to develop x86-64 in some way (but that's like saying an Aston Martin is based on the Model-T because it has 4 wheels and an internal combustion engine.) The i3/i5/i7 series are x86-64 architecture... Intel and AMD have their own, slightly different implementations of x86-64, but either way neither of them are Itanium just becuase they're 64-bit. I'll quote Wikipedia to sum it up:

    "The x86-64 specification is distinct from the Intel Itanium (formerly IA-64) architecture, which is not compatible on the native instruction set level with the x86 architecture." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64


    EDIT: I didn't mean to beat a dead horse after Twelve25's post... I started typing a while ago, before he had posted, and got distracted and didn't hit "submit" until after he had posted :)
  23. Get the new AppleMicroDevices Intel igent Core i9. Now with 6 cores in one module!
  24. vishalaestro said:
    i need to know the meaning of core and i.what is the reason of keeping i3,i5 and i7 for a dualcore,quad core and quadcore with HT.


    I3, I5, I7 are brand Modifiers
    The best description About Intel Processor Numbers you get at: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/processor-numbers.html
  25. let me tell you the true reason as I am a computer tech. the "i" in i3 through 7 stands for ivy bridge because that is the particular structure they relied on. in 2002 they developed this but it took 10 years to "perfect" it. the i is ivy bridge. look it up my friend. dont let the rest of these people throw you off. I have a whole book called pc repair and upgrade 21st edition. I dont own the book but it is one of my college books. check it out sometime. your welcome.
  26. PC repair and upgrade guy said:
    let me tell you the true reason as I am a computer tech. the "i" in i3 through 7 stands for ivy bridge because that is the particular structure they relied on. in 2002 they developed this but it took 10 years to "perfect" it. the i is ivy bridge. look it up my friend. dont let the rest of these people throw you off. I have a whole book called pc repair and upgrade 21st edition. I dont own the book but it is one of my college books. check it out sometime. your welcome.


    thanks for the answer but anyway still i think the ivy bridge was not so perfect with the heating issues and less overclocking capabilities.the only giant leap was the sandy bridge architecture
  27. vishalaestro said:
    i need to know the meaning of core and i.what is the reason of keeping i3,i5 and i7 for a dualcore,quad core and quadcore with HT.


    You can't be that clueless................
  28. let me tell you the true reason as I am a computer tech. the "i" in i3 through 7 stands for ivy bridge /quotemsg]

    Double post.
  29. PC repair and upgrade guy said:
    let me tell you the true reason as I am a computer tech. the "i" in i3 through 7 stands for ivy bridge because that is the particular structure they relied on. in 2002 they developed this but it took 10 years to "perfect" it. the i is ivy bridge. look it up my friend. dont let the rest of these people throw you off. I have a whole book called pc repair and upgrade 21st edition. I dont own the book but it is one of my college books. check it out sometime. your welcome.


    You are full of it. Computer research alright.:ange: Intel started using the i3, i5, i7 branding well before Ivy Bridge was ever released. They were using this branding when they released Nehalem which predated Ivy Bridge by a good five years! You should learn to lie better!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Quad Core Intel i7 Processors Intel i5