First Time Building A Computer, Will Not Detect PCI Graphics Cards

Vexaus

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Hi everyone,

So I needed a new computer for school and decided it was time to finally take a stab at building my own PC from scratch. As you can imagine, the task was incredibly nerve racking, and I wasn't sure if I was really going to be able to get a working computer. But I followed several guides, namely Lifehacker and Newegg's, and I when I felt confident enough to turn the machine on, I was thrilled to get to the BIOS screen, and eventually installed Windows 7 with no problems. Unfortunately, upon trying to install my graphics card drivers, I ran into the issue of the computer not recognizing the graphics cards that I had installed. First, here's a list of the hardware I have installed.

1 x GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
1 x Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics ...
2 x MSI N660 Ti PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
1 x OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
1 x CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750 (CMPSU-750AX) 750W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular
1 x CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX16GX3M2A1600C11
1 x COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

So far I've been running on the integrated graphics in order to see the screen. Here's the steps I've taken so far to try and resolve the problem. I'm really running out of ideas here, I'm hoping someone can help me out.

- Disabled integrated graphics (does not force display to use the GTX 660 Ti's)
- Removed one of the graphics cards to see if it would at least read one
- Keep trying to detect just one card, but switching to the other card (both cards are not recognized, which makes me doubt that it's a card problem)
- Made sure that the card is sitting in the top most PCI slot and is seated correctly multiple times
- Made sure that the card is properly plugged into the PSU and checked all connections on the PSU (the card is getting power and the fans are moving, but the computer still doesn't recognize the card)
- Try the card in different PCI slots (this MB has three), just in case
- Updated the BIOS of the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H from F8 to F14, which not only didn't solve the problem, but has made boot times considerably longer for some reason (it hangs at the Motherboard POST screen for a really long time, and I can't seem to roll the BIOS version back)
- Reset the CMOS several times, both by pressing the CMOS Reset Switch on the board AND removing the CMOS battery

And that's pretty much everything I've done so far. Obviously, because this is my first time building a computer, I HAVE to think that it's me that's doing something wrong here, most likely that I unfortunately chose incompatible parts, despite doing my best to research their compatibility. Can someone please help?! I'm really at a loss here and I need this computer up and running for school A.S.A.P. because the first day of classes are TODAY!

-Erik

electricfirebolt

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2012
Try installing an additional operating system like Windows XP or Linux and then access via Dual Boot, If your additional OS recognises graphics card then your copy of Windows 7 has not installed correctly. If it still isnt working then it could be issue with your graphics card or your PCI slot on your motherboard.