• Homebuilt
  • Cases
  • Computer
  • Power
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 6, 2012 9:03:51 PM

Hello all,

Built my fist computer. Everything in the case and connected but the system won't power on. Breadboarded the system and everything was fine, essentially had the entire computer out of the case and it booted up every single time, I also tested the case power button which worked as well. I noticed my first stick of RAM unseated when I took the system out of the case and attributed the problem to this. Now, everything is back in the case and I have the same problem, it won't power on. The motherboard is on standoffs and at this point I am assuming there is a short somewhere but I have no idea how to start or what to do. Suggestions or ideas?

Corsair carbide 400r, asus sabertooth z77, corsair tx750m, intel i5 3750k, evga gtx570hd, corsair vengeance 16gb ram 1600 (4x4)

More about : breadboards fine power case

Best solution

a c 85 B Homebuilt system
September 6, 2012 10:02:10 PM

Mysterious.

Stupid questions:

You did switch the psu power back on after installing it in the case??
The psu power leads are fully plugged back in??
The front panel power switch is in the proper pin powitions? Try removing it, and testing by touching the two pins with a screwdriver.

A more esoteric possibility:
If you used the wrong screws with bigger heads to secure the motherboard, you can cause a short.
Try removing most of the screws to see if it makes a difference.
September 6, 2012 10:11:56 PM

Thanks for the reply!

So yes, I switched the PSU back on and made sure the leads were fully plugged in. Additionally I did try to touch the two pins as I did while breadboarding but still no luck. I did use the screws that were intended for the motherboard as far as I know, however, that is an interesting possibility... I'll give that a shot before the end of the night. Thanks again!
m
l
Related resources
September 6, 2012 10:20:24 PM

And you're sure there are no "extra" standoffs behind the motherboard that don't match up with the holes in your motherboard?
m
l
September 6, 2012 10:32:31 PM

mmaatt747 said:
And you're sure there are no "extra" standoffs behind the motherboard that don't match up with the holes in your motherboard?

^^^ This it's the only different thing in the case.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 6, 2012 11:46:05 PM

also check that the i
o shield tabs are not shorting out the ethernet or usb ports.
m
l
September 7, 2012 11:20:55 AM

OK, I didn't have a chance last night but after work today I will test the screws and check for extra standoffs (admittedly I have not noticed as of yet).

@smorizio, I actually had to remove the I/O shield as the motherboard would not line up with the standoffs when it was in place.

Again, thank you for all the assistance!
m
l
a c 85 B Homebuilt system
September 7, 2012 12:14:29 PM

das gaus said:
OK, I didn't have a chance last night but after work today I will test the screws and check for extra standoffs (admittedly I have not noticed as of yet).

@smorizio, I actually had to remove the I/O shield as the motherboard would not line up with the standoffs when it was in place.

Again, thank you for all the assistance!

Whoa!
That is a red flag.

I have yet to see a i/o shield that stopped you from installing the motherboard properly.
First, make certain that the springy prongs do not interfere with the motherboard rear panel ports.
I think ASUS does it best with a padded metallic cushion instead of prongs.

Make certain that the rear panel os fully snapped in to the opening. It sometimes takes a good bit of push all around to do this.
It takes three hands to to get the motherboard installed.
1 to hold the motherboard in place, firmly pushed up against the i/o shield.
1 to hold the screwdriver
1 to hold the screw.

I solve it by using a magnetic tip screwdriver, usually a #2 phillips.
Put in the first screw near the i/o plate to hold the motherboard in place.

I don't think the i/o plate is really needed for grounding.
m
l
September 8, 2012 3:26:26 AM

Best answer selected by das gaus.
m
l
September 8, 2012 3:28:16 AM

Update

Everything is loaded up and I'm typing this from my new build. Apparently I was tightening the motherboard screws too much.

@ geofelt - Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a go sometime this weekend. I get a little nervous putting pressure on these parts... I nearly had a heart attack closing the lever on the processor cover.

Again, sincere thanks to everyone that contributed. I would have never guessed it could be the screws!
m
l
!