Sign in with
Your question

Haswell socket?

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2013 2:01:35 PM

i know its a dumb question but is it going to be a totally new one?

and is it worth getting a i3-3xxx - i5-3xxx 1155 anymore?

i mean its still around 4-5 months till release

More about : haswell socket

a b à CPUs
January 21, 2013 2:03:43 PM

chromic said:
i know its a dumb question but is it going to be a totally new one?

and is it worth getting a i3-3xxx - i5-3xxx 1155 anymore?

i mean its still around 4-5 months till release

Depends what you currently have. Any CPU bought at any time will be out of date within 12 months tops.
January 21, 2013 2:04:32 PM

Most likely it will use a different socket something like 1156 I presume. Either way Haswell most likely isn't going to be worth trashing an i5 3570k or i7 3770k for it, but as you said its got 4-5months until release so they may change things up.
Related resources
a c 190 à CPUs
January 21, 2013 2:51:51 PM

Based on the past history of our chipset and when we roll out a new micro-architecture it looks like we will have a new socket. We have been fairly solid whenever we roll out a new micro-architecture we roll out a new socket to help deal with the changes that micro-architecture brings.
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2013 4:26:44 PM

how much better haswell will be costwise?

ive read that the processing power will be 15-20% more than the previous ones but will the price go higher 15-20%?

would it go like this?

example ( not real cpu's just an example )

I5-3111 - 200£
I5-4111 - 200£ + 15-20% more power OR 250£?
a c 190 à CPUs
January 21, 2013 5:00:24 PM

For years we have been running our processors to hit price points. So the Intel® Core™ i5-3570K cost about the same as the Intel Core i5-2500K. I expect that we will see that our next generation of processors will follow this pattern. So while some reseller might try to charge more at the start due to the increased demand with limited supply in the end the prices should equalize out.
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2013 5:01:41 PM

Haswell desktop uses LGA 1150.

They're not going to be compatible with Ivy motherboards due to the voltage regulators being pulled into the Haswell chip.
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2013 5:19:53 PM

i3-3xxx worth it anymore?
a c 479 à CPUs
January 21, 2013 5:35:29 PM

No official word regarding performance increase over ivy Bridge. I'm guessing no more than 10% since reducing power consumption is a primary concern; assuming the same clockspeed.

It probably will not be until next year when Broadwell is released that Intel will seriously increase performance. That's because Broadwell will produced using the 14nm die process rather than 22nm (Haswell). That means further reduction in power consumption. Therefore, Intel can afford to increase performance while either keeping the same power consumption levels as Haswell CPUs or less.

If you can wait then wait, if you can't wait, then go ahead and by the i3-3xxx. The assuming a 5% - 10% increase in performance for Haswell, going from a 1st gen Core i3 to a 4th gen Core i3 would be a 25% to 30% increase in average performance (assuming same clockspeed). Going from 1st gen to 3rd gen is about a 19% increase on average performance.
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2013 5:50:29 PM

So how come the Official Intel Enthusiast Representative didn't seem to know its going to be a 1150 socket then ?

Mactronix :) 
January 21, 2013 6:00:58 PM

I think a current i3 or i5 processor is fine for up to two years. After that, I would get a broadwell processor. I say this because most video games (if you are a gamer) are gonna change their specs based on the new gaming consoles coming out. Most instruction sets should be more abunded in 2015 than in 2014.

I'm more or less excited for the 14nm process. Not only that, I think the Haswells will have more problems with the Broadwells assuming they use the same socket.
January 21, 2013 6:02:44 PM

mactronix said:
So how come the Official Intel Enthusiast Representative didn't seem to know its going to be a 1150 socket then ?

He's being very careul with his wording. He doesn't want to dissapoint the OP by saying , yes you will need a new motherboard. He's putting things up in the air by using a positive spin.

Either way. With coputers you will always be upgrading. ALWAYS.
a c 186 à CPUs
January 21, 2013 6:56:04 PM

That's why there's no such thing as future proofing.

Technology moves so quickly....
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2013 6:34:56 AM

mactronix said:

linkgx1 said:
He's being very careul with his wording. He doesn't want to dissapoint the OP by saying , yes you will need a new motherboard. He's putting things up in the air by using a positive spin.

Either way. With coputers you will always be upgrading. ALWAYS.

Clue's in the wording. I think he's self-appointed.

a b à CPUs
January 22, 2013 8:26:27 AM

mi1ez said:
Clue's in the wording. I think he's self-appointed.

No he's legit. Guess we just need to keep that in mind.

@ IntelEnthusiast nothing personal I understand your standpoint and restrictions.

a b à CPUs
January 25, 2013 6:43:26 AM

Apologies chap!
June 1, 2013 11:24:50 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Based on the past history of our chipset and when we roll out a new micro-architecture it looks like we will have a new socket. We have been fairly solid whenever we roll out a new micro-architecture we roll out a new socket to help deal with the changes that micro-architecture brings.

You mean to sell more chipsets.
!