Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New machine is about to get bought

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 19, 2012 2:14:12 PM

Hi!

I'm about to buy a gaming machine, for around 1400$ (180k isk).

These are my choices to suit my budget and best performance/price

Intel Core i5-2400 or Intel Core i5-3450 (40$ more)

Gigabyte S1155 B75M-D3V or Gigabyte S1155 H77-DS3H (16$ more)

Mushkin 8GB DDR3 1600MHz (2x4GB) Black Line CL9 1.5V

Point of View GTX670 PCI-E3.0 2GB GDDR5

1TB Seagate Barracuda SATA3 hard disk (ST1000DM003) 64MB

Inter-Tech SL-700 700W Power Supply


SO this is the configuration, but if you see there's no monitor in it, because I have a 40" samsung 3d tv.
I have two questions:
1. Is my config good enough to serve me for a time, would you suggest me any change?
2. I thought to save money I won´t buy a new monitor, I will use the TV with HDMI cable on 1920x1080p, the GTX 670 will have any problem to run games at this resolution or something..yes i read reviews but I want to be sure.

Thank you.
lofej.



More about : machine bought

a b U Graphics card
July 19, 2012 4:02:26 PM

1) Any of those configs will make a great modern gaming machine. I assume it is a pre-built system? I'm not familiar with the PSU, it looks cheap - I'd change it with a good unit from Seasonic or Antec (or numerous other good PSU brands).

Either cpu is fine they have similar performance. $40 extra for the 3450 seems steep but it will do just slightly better and will have PCI 3.0 support (which will eventually be more relevant).

Get the Gigabyte S1155 H77-DS3H. It has far more connectors and PCIe slots, RAM slots, etc.

While it isn't really important in gaming (doesn't affect the FPS), the main bottleneck of your system is the hard disk. You should have an SSD for a boot/performance drive. The HDD would be used as a separate volume for your main data storage. The SSD would make the OS quicker to boot, snappier, and games installed on the SSD will load faster (but FPS won't be affected). A 120gb SSD gives you plenty of room for an OS and a few games or performance apps and makes a big difference (you'll get horribly spoiled).

2) A GTX 670 is a beast of a card. 1920x1080 isn't a problem for it at all. The reviews are correct - You can look at the FPS in the reviews and see if it is enough for you, but I'd definitely go with the GTX 670.
a b U Graphics card
July 19, 2012 4:19:06 PM

Update: Direct quote from the Inter-Tech SL-700 user manual pdf:
"The SL-700 - The cheap power supply for price conscious costumers".

ROFL! It's in bold on the first page. Obviously their translator wasn't familiar with the word "inexpensive". So yeah, I'd dump that thing and get a quality PSU.

http://www.onyougo.com/manual-inter-tech-sl700_pdf_en_4...
Related resources
July 19, 2012 6:54:29 PM

larkspur said:
1) Any of those configs will make a great modern gaming machine. I assume it is a pre-built system? I'm not familiar with the PSU, it looks cheap - I'd change it with a good unit from Seasonic or Antec (or numerous other good PSU brands).

Either cpu is fine they have similar performance. $40 extra for the 3450 seems steep but it will do just slightly better and will have PCI 3.0 support (which will eventually be more relevant).

Get the Gigabyte S1155 H77-DS3H. It has far more connectors and PCIe slots, RAM slots, etc.

While it isn't really important in gaming (doesn't affect the FPS), the main bottleneck of your system is the hard disk. You should have an SSD for a boot/performance drive. The HDD would be used as a separate volume for your main data storage. The SSD would make the OS quicker to boot, snappier, and games installed on the SSD will load faster (but FPS won't be affected). A 120gb SSD gives you plenty of room for an OS and a few games or performance apps and makes a big difference (you'll get horribly spoiled).

2) A GTX 670 is a beast of a card. 1920x1080 isn't a problem for it at all. The reviews are correct - You can look at the FPS in the reviews and see if it is enough for you, but I'd definitely go with the GTX 670.


__________________

First, thank you for your time by replying, second, it isnt pre-build im choosing the parts out from a website, here on Iceland, Third, I didnt know much about the SSD disc, once I was in this electronic hightech but I missed like 4-5 years, the HDD I choosd is 127$ and the SSD is 200$ (120GB SATA3 Mushkin SSD 2.5'' Chrono) I dont know the 70$ difference is worth it for me, since its only be used for gaming. Im thinking on it.
fourth, the PSU, I dont know much about psu's the 80$ for the intertech seems good to me, two of my friend had bought the same and they looked like quality stuff.
a b U Graphics card
July 19, 2012 7:43:42 PM

lofej said:
Third, I didnt know much about the SSD disc, once I was in this electronic hightech but I missed like 4-5 years, the HDD I choosd is 127$ and the SSD is 200$ (120GB SATA3 Mushkin SSD 2.5'' Chrono) I dont know the 70$ difference is worth it for me, since its only be used for gaming. Im thinking on it.


Well, if you can only have one or the other and can fit what you need for now in 120gb then I would get the Mushkin (I have a Mushkin 240gb chronos enhanced deluxe myself and am impressed by how much better it performs than my older Vertex 2). Then add a HDD later to add more games and stuff. If you need to put your pictures and home movies on this computer and can't afford to get both then consider a 60gb SSD for the OS (and a little extra space for a game) and use the 1tb for everything else. I've pitted HDDs against SSDs personally and am really impressed with SSDs particularly with how well they handle the OS needs. I know they are expensive, but if you can manage to get both, do it and then you'll have it setup right the first time.

And honestly - since you have a choice on the PSU - it is very important for the longevity of your system to use a quality PSU. You seriously don't want something to go wrong with the PSU at any time. Bad PSUs can take entire systems with them. At the least, it's a pain to change/upgrade the PSU on a fully assembled system with all the cables everywhere. As DjScribbles mentioned, a quality 550w should handle your single-card needs. I go with Seasonic, Antec or Corsair.
a c 291 U Graphics card
July 19, 2012 7:50:00 PM

Either the parts in your country are very overpriced or you are looking at very overpriced website. 120 GB SSD in europe would not cost more than $150.

I'd suggest going with i5-2500k CPU, shouldn't be much more expensive than i5-2400, but will ensure longetivity. Also get either z68 or z77 chipset motherboard.
July 19, 2012 8:20:06 PM

larkspur said:
Well, if you can only have one or the other and can fit what you need for now in 120gb then I would get the Mushkin (I have a Mushkin 240gb chronos enhanced deluxe myself and am impressed by how much better it performs than my older Vertex 2). Then add a HDD later to add more games and stuff. If you need to put your pictures and home movies on this computer and can't afford to get both then consider a 60gb SSD for the OS (and a little extra space for a game) and use the 1tb for everything else. I've pitted HDDs against SSDs personally and am really impressed with SSDs particularly with how well they handle the OS needs. I know they are expensive, but if you can manage to get both, do it and then you'll have it setup right the first time.

And honestly - since you have a choice on the PSU - it is very important for the longevity of your system to use a quality PSU. You seriously don't want something to go wrong with the PSU at any time. Bad PSUs can take entire systems with them. At the least, it's a pain to change/upgrade the PSU on a fully assembled system with all the cables everywhere. As DjScribbles mentioned, a quality 550w should handle your single-card needs. I go with Seasonic, Antec or Corsair.



I think I'm going to buy the 120GB, I have an external 1TB WD HDD, this way I have place for every other thing. So its obvious choice for the SSD..why i havent thought of this sooner..

Yes, i know the PSU is important, but here isnt much option, maybe this one: Thermaltake Smart Series 630W, its almost cost twice, around 120$.
July 19, 2012 8:32:47 PM

Sunius said:
Either the parts in your country are very overpriced or you are looking at very overpriced website. 120 GB SSD in europe would not cost more than $150.

I'd suggest going with i5-2500k CPU, shouldn't be much more expensive than i5-2400, but will ensure longetivity. Also get either z68 or z77 chipset motherboard.


Yup..well thats true, but this is the only website(link) I know about here in Reykjavik, the variety are.. pretty weak.

To be honest i dont see much difference between the H77 and Z77 motherboard, (oh and im not thinking on any overclock..) 40$ is the difference..
!