Card Reader?

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 19, 2005 1:54:33 PM

I need a card reader with the following specs:

1. INTERNAL - Fits 3.5" or 5-1/4" drive bay
2. XD compatible (Must support 1 Gig XD cards)
3. USB 2.0 rated
4. Beige faceplate
5. Front USB port

Any recommendations?

More about : card reader

Anonymous
September 20, 2005 3:42:54 AM

Visit a shop?
"HerHusband" <unknown@unknown.com> wrote in message
>I need a card reader with the following specs:
>
> 1. INTERNAL - Fits 3.5" or 5-1/4" drive bay
> 2. XD compatible (Must support 1 Gig XD cards)
> 3. USB 2.0 rated
> 4. Beige faceplate
> 5. Front USB port
>
> Any recommendations?
September 20, 2005 6:10:59 AM

www.newegg.com
--

Stacey
September 20, 2005 6:27:29 AM

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 23:42:54 +0100, Canongirly Pop Toasted:

> "HerHusband" <unknown@unknown.com> wrote in message
>>I need a card reader with the following specs:
>>
>> 1. INTERNAL - Fits 3.5" or 5-1/4" drive bay
>> 2. XD compatible (Must support 1 Gig XD cards)
>> 3. USB 2.0 rated
>> 4. Beige faceplate
>> 5. Front USB port
>>
>> Any recommendations?
>
> Visit a shop?

When was the last time you visited a shop. Asking for a card
reader having those spec's with few exceptions is likely to get:

1. A blank look.
2. "Try Radio Shack"
3. "They don't make those anymore"
4. "If you don't see it on the rack we don't have it"
5. "Come back later. We're expecting a shipment next Tuesday"
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 11:21:34 AM

ASAAR wrote:
[]
> When was the last time you visited a shop. Asking for a card
> reader having those spec's with few exceptions is likely to get:
>
> 1. A blank look.
> 2. "Try Radio Shack"
> 3. "They don't make those anymore"
> 4. "If you don't see it on the rack we don't have it"
> 5. "Come back later. We're expecting a shipment next Tuesday"

You are /so/ right. I can recommend Jessops in Edinburgh as being a
little better than that, though.

David
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 11:53:56 AM

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:54:33 -0500, HerHusband <unknown@unknown.com>
wrote:

>I need a card reader with the following specs:
>
>1. INTERNAL - Fits 3.5" or 5-1/4" drive bay
>2. XD compatible (Must support 1 Gig XD cards)
>3. USB 2.0 rated
>4. Beige faceplate
>5. Front USB port
>
>Any recommendations?

See if Newegg or Zip Zoom Fly have one.

http://www.newegg.com/

http://www.newegg.com/

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 1:09:51 PM

>> I need a card reader with the following specs:
>> 1. INTERNAL - Fits 3.5" or 5-1/4" drive bay
>> 2. XD compatible (Must support 1 Gig XD cards)
>> 3. USB 2.0 rated
>> 4. Beige faceplate
>> 5. Front USB port
>> Any recommendations?
> www.newegg.com

I already checked there, and while I found a few models that claimed XD
compatibility, I haven't seen anything that specifically mentions it can
handle a 1 Gig XD card. That's why I was hoping someone here could
provide a little first hand experience.

I recently purchased a card reader from XPCGear that claimed to be XD
compatible:

http://www.xpcgear.com/16in1fceplte.html

Unfortunately, it won't work properly with my 1 Gig XD card. I can read
images on the card from Windows, but I can't move or delete the pictures.

So, I'm hesitant to buy another reader until I know for sure it works
with a 1 Gig card.

Anthony
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 3:37:51 PM

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:09:51 -0500, HerHusband <unknown@unknown.com>
wrote:

>>> I need a card reader with the following specs:
>>> 1. INTERNAL - Fits 3.5" or 5-1/4" drive bay
>>> 2. XD compatible (Must support 1 Gig XD cards)
>>> 3. USB 2.0 rated
>>> 4. Beige faceplate
>>> 5. Front USB port
>>> Any recommendations?
>> www.newegg.com
>
>I already checked there, and while I found a few models that claimed XD
>compatibility, I haven't seen anything that specifically mentions it can
>handle a 1 Gig XD card. That's why I was hoping someone here could
>provide a little first hand experience.
>
>I recently purchased a card reader from XPCGear that claimed to be XD
>compatible:
>
>http://www.xpcgear.com/16in1fceplte.html
>
>Unfortunately, it won't work properly with my 1 Gig XD card. I can read
>images on the card from Windows, but I can't move or delete the pictures.
>
>So, I'm hesitant to buy another reader until I know for sure it works
>with a 1 Gig card.
>
>Anthony

Does this device work with any other XD cards?
Have you tried it with other format cards?

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"

HerHusband wrote:
>>> I need a card reader with the following specs:
>>> 1. INTERNAL - Fits 3.5" or 5-1/4" drive bay
>>> 2. XD compatible (Must support 1 Gig XD cards)
>>> 3. USB 2.0 rated
>>> 4. Beige faceplate
>>> 5. Front USB port
>>> Any recommendations?
>> www.newegg.com
>
> I already checked there, and while I found a few models that claimed
> XD compatibility, I haven't seen anything that specifically mentions
> it can handle a 1 Gig XD card. That's why I was hoping someone here
> could provide a little first hand experience.
>
> I recently purchased a card reader from XPCGear that claimed to be XD
> compatible:
>
> http://www.xpcgear.com/16in1fceplte.html
>
> Unfortunately, it won't work properly with my 1 Gig XD card. I can
> read images on the card from Windows, but I can't move or delete the
> pictures.

I would think that if Windows can read the images, you should be able to
copy them as well? Sounds like the card is being sensed as read-only,
might be a setting somewhere to adjust that.

Otherwise, could you copy off the images to your computer and then
erase/reformat the card in the camera - which I understand is the
preferred method for many models anyway.

Bob ^,,^
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 9:49:16 PM

"ASAAR" <caught@22.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 23:42:54 +0100, Canongirly Pop Toasted:
>
> > "HerHusband" <unknown@unknown.com> wrote in message
> >>I need a card reader with the following specs:
> >>
> >> 1. INTERNAL - Fits 3.5" or 5-1/4" drive bay
> >> 2. XD compatible (Must support 1 Gig XD cards)
> >> 3. USB 2.0 rated
> >> 4. Beige faceplate
> >> 5. Front USB port
> >>
> >> Any recommendations?
> >
> > Visit a shop?
>
> When was the last time you visited a shop. Asking for a card
> reader having those spec's with few exceptions is likely to get:
>
> 1. A blank look.
> 2. "Try Radio Shack"
> 3. "They don't make those anymore"
> 4. "If you don't see it on the rack we don't have it"
> 5. "Come back later. We're expecting a shipment next Tuesday"

Ackk. Now why do all these points from 1-5 sound so familiar at any and
all stores, not just a camera shop.

Cathy
September 20, 2005 11:58:24 PM

Bob Harrington wrote:

> Otherwise, could you copy off the images to your computer and then
> erase/reformat the card in the camera - which I understand is the
> preferred method for many models anyway.

You're right, you should never use the computer to change the card, probably
why it's setup as read only to start with?

Copy the images then format the card in the camera.
--

Stacey
Anonymous

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:49:16 -0400, Cathy wrote:

>> 1. A blank look.
>> 2. "Try Radio Shack"
>> 3. "They don't make those anymore"
>> 4. "If you don't see it on the rack we don't have it"
>> 5. "Come back later. We're expecting a shipment next Tuesday"
>
> Ackk. Now why do all these points from 1-5 sound so familiar
> at any and all stores, not just a camera shop.

Darn. I thought that shops would be better in Canada. But you're
right. I got several of those responses within the last two weeks,
and none in camera shops. One was in a Radio Shack, though.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 3:17:15 AM

> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:49:16 -0400, Cathy wrote:
>
> >> 1. A blank look.
> >> 2. "Try Radio Shack"
> >> 3. "They don't make those anymore"
> >> 4. "If you don't see it on the rack we don't have it"
> >> 5. "Come back later. We're expecting a shipment next Tuesday"
> >
> > Ackk. Now why do all these points from 1-5 sound so familiar
> > at any and all stores, not just a camera shop.
>
> Darn. I thought that shops would be better in Canada. But you're
> right. I got several of those responses within the last two weeks,
> and none in camera shops.

Some stores might be better here. I really don't know. But what struck
me as the most frustrating from your list was number 4 which I would
apply most to all Walmarts in Toronto that I've ever been in. They never
have enough staff in any of their stores and if I hear one more time
"whatever you see on the shelf is all we have".. Even worse for service
is Home Depot. If you don't know exactly where to look and what you are
looking for, don't go or you risk total frustration as they never have
enough staff and you walk up and down the aisles for ages and never see
any sales staff. I think they all hide when they see you. The blank look
is popular in some stores. I also heard "these have been discontinued"
recently when I was looking for a filter for my dehumidifier. So all of
your 5 points would apply to certain stores at certain times, though
thankfully not all, but definitely a lot more than there used to be.
Smaller stores seem to give better service. But to confine myself to
camera stores, a couple of stores I went had quite good service. One was
a chain store and one has a couple of stores here. Both deal in cameras
only. I don't hear your number 5. very often, but I have heard it. So
all your 5 points would apply at some time or other. Quite witty.

Cathy
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 6:26:13 AM

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 23:17:15 -0400, Cathy wrote:

> Even worse for service is Home Depot. If you don't know exactly
> where to look and what you are looking for, don't go or you risk
> total frustration as they never have enough staff and you walk up
> and down the aisles for ages and never see any sales staff. I think
> they all hide when they see you.

I haven't been to Home Depot more than a handful of times but
that's what I also found. Due to being persistent, curious and
having enough time to wander through the aisles, I was able to
eventually locate several items that the few staff not quick enough
to hide either said didn't exist or was out of stock.

If the OP is still reading, the only stores I've seen that might
have the internal drive-bay card readers would be not camera stores,
but some of the larger computer stores such as CompUSA. I've never
been within driving distance of a Fry's, but from descriptions I've
read, they might also have it. Even the largest Staples I've been
to has had too limited a selection to be worth checking out unless
you don't have to travel very far to get to one.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 4:41:16 PM

Bill,

>>http://www.xpcgear.com/16in1fceplte.html

> Does this device work with any other XD cards?
> Have you tried it with other format cards?

Don't know.. Haven't tried. I'll have to see if I can find that little 16
Meg card that came with the camera and see if it works.

In any case, that doesn't solve the problem with my 1 gig card.

From the research I've done, 1 gig cards aren't compatible with most
readers or even many cameras for that matter.

Anthony
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 4:46:10 PM

Bob,

> I would think that if Windows can read the images, you should be able
> to copy them as well? Sounds like the card is being sensed as
> read-only, might be a setting somewhere to adjust that.

I checked every setting I could think of. And I don't get any kind of
read-only error message. Windows just goes off to la-la land and locks
up, often trashing the card in the process.

> Otherwise, could you copy off the images to your computer and then
> erase/reformat the card in the camera - which I understand is the
> preferred method for many models anyway.

Too much work. My wife and daughter certainly wouldn't know how to go
through the steps of reformatting the card in the camera every time we
transfer pictures to the computer.

If I can't do it from the reader, I'll just stick with the direct cable
connection for now. It's a hassle, but at least it works.

Anthony
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 6:27:06 PM

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:41:16 -0500, HerHusband <unknown@unknown.com>
wrote:

>Bill,
>
>>>http://www.xpcgear.com/16in1fceplte.html
>
>> Does this device work with any other XD cards?
>> Have you tried it with other format cards?
>
>Don't know.. Haven't tried. I'll have to see if I can find that little 16
>Meg card that came with the camera and see if it works.
>
>In any case, that doesn't solve the problem with my 1 gig card.

Solve? Before you can solve it, you need to know what the problem is.
Not being to do anything with the image files is a symptom of the
problem.

>From the research I've done, 1 gig cards aren't compatible with most
>readers or even many cameras for that matter.

Could be, I don't know.
But knowing if the reader will work with *ANY* card is a step in the
right direction. As it is, you have no idea if the card's farkled (I
doubt it), the reader's farkled, if the reader won't work with that
card size, or if you've managed to somehow lock the card.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com
September 21, 2005 10:04:55 PM

HerHusband wrote:

> Too much work. My wife and daughter certainly wouldn't know how to go
> through the steps of reformatting the card in the camera every time we
> transfer pictures to the computer.

Then they need to learn, it's only a couple of button clicks. To modify the
files from within windows is asking for problems.

> If I can't do it from the reader, I'll just stick with the direct cable
> connection for now.

That's what you should do then.
--

Stacey
Anonymous

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 02:26:13 -0400, ASAAR <caught@22.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 23:17:15 -0400, Cathy wrote:
>
>> Even worse for service is Home Depot. If you don't know exactly
>> where to look and what you are looking for, don't go or you risk
>> total frustration as they never have enough staff and you walk up
>> and down the aisles for ages and never see any sales staff. I think
>> they all hide when they see you.
>
> I haven't been to Home Depot more than a handful of times but
>that's what I also found.

The ones near me are far better. I was recently in one where a
person who didn't speak English well asked for help in choosing an
appropriate drill bit for a particular job. The employee showed him a
variety of bits (at different prices), told hm the pros and cons of
each, then finished by telling the customer, whichever he chose, to
apply a small amount of oil while drilling, to avoid very early
failure. He said, "I want to make sure you do it the right way and not
have to come back saying I sold you a drill which was dull after just
a few holes."

I've seen many such helpful employees there. They seem to have
a number of people retired or laid off after many years in the trades,
who are happy to give you the benefit of their experience.
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 6:12:53 AM

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 02:12:52 GMT, kashe@sonic.net wrote:

> I've seen many such helpful employees there. They seem to have
> a number of people retired or laid off after many years in the trades,
> who are happy to give you the benefit of their experience.

It's nice to know that better stores are possible. FWIW, most
Radio Shack employees have been pretty bad, but one owner (or
manager) was similarly helpful. Not as young as most that I've seen
in NYC either, and FWIW, was located in the relative boonies
(Sparta, NJ). There was another manager in NY that seemed equally
competent and caring, but she's bounced around several times from
one store to another, and I have no idea where she may be now. But
these were two rare exceptions.
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 6:12:54 AM

ASAAR wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 02:12:52 GMT, kashe@sonic.net wrote:
>
>> I've seen many such helpful employees there. They seem to have
>> a number of people retired or laid off after many years in the
>> trades, who are happy to give you the benefit of their experience.
>
> It's nice to know that better stores are possible. FWIW, most
> Radio Shack employees have been pretty bad, but one owner (or
> manager) was similarly helpful. Not as young as most that I've seen
> in NYC either, and FWIW, was located in the relative boonies
> (Sparta, NJ). There was another manager in NY that seemed equally
> competent and caring, but she's bounced around several times from
> one store to another, and I have no idea where she may be now. But
> these were two rare exceptions.

One fellow I worked with had spent a few months working at Radio
Shack. He was one of the most generous people I ever met: he would
share every bit of knowledge he had on any and every subject. And he
actually did know all that stuff. Trouble was, one thing led to
another, and he'd follow you out the door, still catching you up on
the latest parts numbers changes, label orientations, and source
sites. He couldn't be stopped. He was pretty lonely, too.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

It's no different over here in Australia...

I was in Dick Smith's Electronics the other day, wanting a 4-pack of AA
rechargeables. The guy who helped me (eventually) showed me what they had,
which was loose ones or two-packs. I said I wanted a four-pack, and was told
"they don't make those". (I should add, I meant the Dick Smith Store Brand.)
When I said I had bought one last month, I was asked if I was sure, he'd
never seen them. When I replied I was sure, he said "well, I don't think we
stock them". When he asked me why I wanted one and loose batteries wouldn't
do, I replied that the four-pack was cheaper than 4 loose cells. "Oh, that
wouldn't be right" he said, "that wouldn't make sense".

Finally, I spotted the pack I wanted, handed it to him, and said "OK, Ill
take this". "Righto", he saaid, completely unsurprised (no apology), and not
even noticing it was $4 cheaper than 4 loose cells ...

ChrisH

> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 23:17:15 -0400, Cathy wrote:
>
>> Even worse for service is Home Depot. If you don't know exactly
>> where to look and what you are looking for, don't go or you risk
>> total frustration as they never have enough staff and you walk up
>> and down the aisles for ages and never see any sales staff. I think
>> they all hide when they see you.
>
> I haven't been to Home Depot more than a handful of times but
> that's what I also found. Due to being persistent, curious and
> having enough time to wander through the aisles, I was able to
> eventually locate several items that the few staff not quick enough
> to hide either said didn't exist or was out of stock.
>
> If the OP is still reading, the only stores I've seen that might
> have the internal drive-bay card readers would be not camera stores,
> but some of the larger computer stores such as CompUSA. I've never
> been within driving distance of a Fry's, but from descriptions I've
> read, they might also have it. Even the largest Staples I've been
> to has had too limited a selection to be worth checking out unless
> you don't have to travel very far to get to one.

Anonymous
September 22, 2005 2:29:29 PM

Bill,

> Solve? Before you can solve it, you need to know what the problem is.
> Not being to do anything with the image files is a symptom of the
> problem.

I just tried a 16 Meg card in my reader. It works fine. I can take
pictures, and easily transfer them to my computer using the reader. No
problems at all.

But, if I try the same thing with my 1 gig card, it copies the first file
and then locks up when Windows XP tries to delete the file (part of the
move operation). After a few minutes, WinXP reports an error saying there
is no disk in the drive?

The 1 gig card works fine in my camera, and I can transfer files using the
complicated Fuji F10 cable setup, so the card reader is clearly
incompatible with 1 gig cards.

Until I can find an internal reader that is compatible with 1 gig XD cards,
my next best option seems to be the Olympus MAUSB-300. You stick the card
in the little reader, then plug it into a USB port. A bit more complicated
than just sticking the card in a reader, but better than having to drag out
all the cables.

https://emporium.olympus.com/innards/empProdDetails.asp...

It claims to be compatible with 1 gig cards, and can be had for about $17
at Amazon. I may give it a try.

Anthony
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 2:29:30 PM

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:29:29 -0500, HerHusband <unknown@unknown.com>
wrote:

>Bill,
>
>> Solve? Before you can solve it, you need to know what the problem is.
>> Not being to do anything with the image files is a symptom of the
>> problem.
>
>I just tried a 16 Meg card in my reader. It works fine. I can take
>pictures, and easily transfer them to my computer using the reader. No
>problems at all.
>
>But, if I try the same thing with my 1 gig card, it copies the first file
>and then locks up when Windows XP tries to delete the file (part of the
>move operation). After a few minutes, WinXP reports an error saying there
>is no disk in the drive?

Then don't do a move.
("Doctor, it hurts when I do this...")
Instead, do a copy, and then a delete.
Although, from habit, I do all writing and deleting in the camera.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 2:36:41 PM

> it's only a couple of button clicks. To modify the files from
> within windows is asking for problems.

I've moved files from Smartmedia cards to Windows for years. Never
experienced a problem of any kind. I'm not editing pictures on the card
or anything, just a simple transfer from one device to another.

As for formatting a card on my Fuji F10:

1. Turn on the power
2. Press the menu button
3. Click down to "Setup"
4. Click right to "Set"
5. 10 clicks down to "Format"
6. Click right to "OK"
7. Click left to "OK"
8. Click OK/Menu button
9. Wait 14 seconds for the card to format

Not exactly an easy or quick process, even when I know how to do it.

Anthony
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 1:55:44 AM

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 03:24:50 GMT, "Chris Hulley"
<chris.hulley@jeraDOTcomDOTau> wrote:

>It's no different over here in Australia...
>
>I was in Dick Smith's Electronics the other day, wanting a 4-pack of AA
>rechargeables. The guy who helped me (eventually) showed me what they had,
>which was loose ones or two-packs. I said I wanted a four-pack, and was told
>"they don't make those". (I should add, I meant the Dick Smith Store Brand.)
>When I said I had bought one last month, I was asked if I was sure, he'd
>never seen them. When I replied I was sure, he said "well, I don't think we
>stock them". When he asked me why I wanted one and loose batteries wouldn't
>do, I replied that the four-pack was cheaper than 4 loose cells. "Oh, that
>wouldn't be right" he said, "that wouldn't make sense".
>
>Finally, I spotted the pack I wanted, handed it to him, and said "OK, Ill
>take this". "Righto", he saaid, completely unsurprised (no apology), and not
>even noticing it was $4 cheaper than 4 loose cells ...

Gee, you could have kicked him in the butt and given him a
concussion at the same time.

Once, in Ireland, I went into a drugstore to pick up a couple
of items, including a pack of cigarettes for my sister. When I asked
for that brand in a certain size (100s, as I recall), I was told,
"They don't mahe any such thing." I left, figuring it was less trouble
than walking out to the car and bringing back the pack my sister had
bought a couple of days earlier.
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 1:57:45 AM

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 00:24:46 -0400, ASAAR <caught@22.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 02:12:52 GMT, kashe@sonic.net wrote:
>
>> I've seen many such helpful employees there. They seem to have
>> a number of people retired or laid off after many years in the trades,
>> who are happy to give you the benefit of their experience.
>
> It's nice to know that better stores are possible. FWIW, most
>Radio Shack employees have been pretty bad, but one owner (or
>manager) was similarly helpful. Not as young as most that I've seen
>in NYC either, and FWIW, was located in the relative boonies
>(Sparta, NJ). There was another manager in NY that seemed equally
>competent and caring, but she's bounced around several times from
>one store to another, and I have no idea where she may be now. But
>these were two rare exceptions.

One I encountered at a nearby RS was a retired (or laid off)
HP employee. It was great just to go in and talk to him. But if you
wanted something, he knew where it was and whether it was right for
your purpose.
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 2:01:32 AM

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:36:41 -0500, HerHusband <unknown@unknown.com>
wrote:

>> it's only a couple of button clicks. To modify the files from
>> within windows is asking for problems.
>
>I've moved files from Smartmedia cards to Windows for years. Never
>experienced a problem of any kind. I'm not editing pictures on the card
>or anything, just a simple transfer from one device to another.
>
>As for formatting a card on my Fuji F10:
>
>1. Turn on the power
>2. Press the menu button
>3. Click down to "Setup"
>4. Click right to "Set"
>5. 10 clicks down to "Format"
>6. Click right to "OK"
>7. Click left to "OK"
>8. Click OK/Menu button
>9. Wait 14 seconds for the card to format
>
>Not exactly an easy or quick process, even when I know how to do it.
>
>Anthony

But there's not a simple answer as long as you only have
left/right and up/down buttons to navigate with. I doubt cameras will
come with mice any time soon.
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 8:50:11 AM

Chris Hulley <chris.hulley@jeraDOTcomDOTau> wrote:
>It's no different over here in Australia...
>
>I was in Dick Smith's Electronics the other day, wanting a 4-pack of AA
>rechargeables. The guy who helped me (eventually) showed me what they had,
>which was loose ones or two-packs. I said I wanted a four-pack, and was told
>"they don't make those". (I should add, I meant the Dick Smith Store Brand.)
>When I said I had bought one last month, I was asked if I was sure, he'd
>never seen them. When I replied I was sure, he said "well, I don't think we
>stock them". When he asked me why I wanted one and loose batteries wouldn't
>do, I replied that the four-pack was cheaper than 4 loose cells. "Oh, that
>wouldn't be right" he said, "that wouldn't make sense".
>
>Finally, I spotted the pack I wanted, handed it to him, and said "OK, Ill
>take this". "Righto", he saaid, completely unsurprised (no apology), and not
>even noticing it was $4 cheaper than 4 loose cells ...

If you had brains would you be working as a cashier?

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer@sonic.net

Bill,

>> But, if I try the same thing with my 1 gig card, it copies the first
>> file and then locks up when Windows XP tries to delete the file (part
>> of the move operation). After a few minutes, WinXP reports an error
>> saying there is no disk in the drive?

> Then don't do a move.
> ("Doctor, it hurts when I do this...")
> Instead, do a copy, and then a delete.

If only it were that easy... :)

Unfortunately, WinXP responds the same whether it deletes as part of the
move operation, or as a separate delete operation. For that matter, it
won't format the card either.

In other words, anything that requires writing to the card fails.

But again, this is only with the 1 gig XD card. The 16 Meg XD card works
fine.

Anthony
!