Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help Me Pick a New Graphics Card/s - Gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 19, 2012 3:38:56 PM

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to build a new gaming rig. I don't have much of a limit on price for this card. I'll be dropping about $2300 total on the rig as of now, and I don't want to skimp out on the video card. As of now, I've been thinking about the GTX 670 or the GTX 680. I thought about the GTX 690, but at about $1000 it's hard to justify the price.

What would you guys recommend? I'd like a card that can handle my requirements (see below, battlefield 3 w/ 64 players, highest settings, etc etc), while being affordable as possible (even if that means $1000). I'd much rather spend something in the $500-800 range, but let me know what you guys think.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within 1-2 weeks.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Battlefield 3, Diablo III, etc. All on the highest settings.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: No current GPU (I'm in the process of building), and no current PSU. I'm planning on a 750-1000w PSU either way.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: I can plan for almost any video card. If I require additional cooling, it would be better to know it before the build, so picking the GPU first is a good step.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Don't care. I'll use just about any site with a good reputation within the USA.
PARTS PREFERENCES: Don't care.

OVERCLOCKING:Yes SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080, but will be buying a new monitor/s

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm looking for a card that can handle running Battlefield 3, with 64 players, on the highest settings.

a b U Graphics card
July 19, 2012 3:45:11 PM

I say buy a gtx 670 now (it easily hits 60fps on bf3's max settings) and if you go to 3 monitor then you'll want to buy a second gtx 670. Two 670s in sli is a better price/performance option than the gtx 690.

Best solution

July 19, 2012 3:52:26 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-3770k-overc...

Here is a pretty good build if you are starting from scratch. I would just substitute a 670 for the 680. If you are already set with the other components get an OC'd 670. I would recommend an EVGA 670 FTW. I have one in my rig, and it is great. If you want more power, just throw in another down the road. A single 670 FTW will play the mentioned games on the highest setting including full AA at 1080p.

Edit: Kevin's post was not up when I wrote mine. I will second what he said. I would also like to add that the single 670 can run triple monitors pretty damn well, just not at the highest settings. That's how I am running my setup, and I do not believe that the second one would be worth the extra 400 bucks. I can run bf3 at medium/high settings and get about 60 fps on 5760x1080. My card is matched with a 2500k @ 4 Ghz btw.
Related resources
July 19, 2012 3:55:47 PM

roadkill922 said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-3770k-overc...

Here is a pretty good build if you are starting from scratch. I would just substitute a 670 for the 680. If you are already set with the other components get an OC'd 670. I would recommend an EVGA 670 FTW. I have one in my rig, and it is great. If you want more power, just throw in another down the road. A single 670 FTW will play the mentioned games on the highest setting including full AA at 1080p.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Is this the 670 ftw that you guys would recommend?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
July 19, 2012 4:01:14 PM

The 670 ftw is what I would go for myself. Fits your requirements and is better bang for the buck than a 680 imo. Has plenty of Vram, is pre overclocked and has hdmi + dual dvi outputs. Not much not to like really. The $100 you save against an EVGA 680 could be put towards something else with very little if any noticeable difference in games.
a b U Graphics card
July 19, 2012 4:05:55 PM

Yeah you certainly won't need a second 670 to do 3-monitor but if you want to stick closer to max settings it's the right way to go. And yeah the evga 670 ftw is a great option.
July 19, 2012 4:08:34 PM

Best answer selected by OregonNative.
July 19, 2012 4:10:27 PM

kevin83 said:
Yeah you certainly won't need a second 670 to do 3-monitor but if you want to stick closer to max settings it's the right way to go. And yeah the evga 670 ftw is a great option.

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys! You all helped me a ton. I'm going for the 670 FTW, without a doubt now. I'll make sure to consider adding a second 670 FTW if needed. As of now, I'm planning on a 2-monitor, but there is always room to upgrade which is a great feeling.

You guys are the best. Thanks!
!