Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
I got this new comp just a month ago:

CPU: FX-6200
GPU: GTX 670 DCII
RAM: 8Gb HyperX 1600Mhz
PSU: Corsair HX 650W
MB: MSI AM3+ AMD760G DDR3 USB2 GBE RAID MATX

All the parts are new, except PSU which is around 2 years old.

System worked fine around 2 weeks, then the problem started. Black screen or shutdowns. Mostly gaming / performance tests.
Ive tried to figure this out over a week now, ive noticed few things..

Almost all games goes black screen at some point, either changing settings or teleporting(going to new screen) somewhere etc..some games work better than others tho.

Last few days i've figured out few things:

-FPU tests fail. CPU and GPU tests usually run good. But on Everest when i press the "stress FPU" it immediatly crashes.
- Windows experience index fails at around 80% when it is testing "assensing cpu performance" always
- Tried 3dmark 11 today and test completed on first try. But i noticed that my core clock was at x7 multiplier thus only running at 1.5Ghz. I changed it back kto 3.8Ghz where it should be and ran the test again. And again black screen at Testing CPU part.

I have tested ram and gpu with diff ones and they're both good. temps are also good.

So question is..u think its my PSU gone bad? The test passed at lower Ghz but fails at FPU tests and full speed tests thus drawing lots more power?

Also notice that normal usage, surfing, videos etc runs good. it just happens on stress. There is only 3 possible reasons in my mind...PSU or maybe CPU/MB

Sholyn822

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Hi!

Just few mins ago i tested something..i downclocked my cpu to 3.0ghz from 3.8ghz. Now the tests passed! What is this? a CPU that cant run on stock speed? PSU unable to give enough power for full speeds? or some type of bad cpu?

Hi :)

HEAT again...it runs cooler at 3 than 3.8

CHECK your heatsink/fan and TEMPERATURES.... and FORGET the psu...

All the best Brett :)

Sholyn822

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Thnx for answer.

Are you sure its not PSU issue still? 3.8Ghz also draw more power than 3.0..and maybe my 650w dont generate that much anymore?

But i think its temp also. Now i set cpu at 3.2ghz and test passed. 3.5ghz was too much. I keep it at this until i get some cooling going on. Any tips to quickly improve it? have housefan next to the case? <:

You could take side of case off and direct the house fan straight onto the cpu...

Or RECEMENT your heat sink and fan....and GET SOME temperature monitoring software like CORETEMP...

Sholyn822

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Hi again!

I downloaded the coretemp and took house fan right next to cpu blowing at full speed.
Then i clocked cpu back to 3.8ghz.
Tried windows experience index again with coretemp on. It crashed again and cpu temp was 60c. So heat dont see to be the issue?

Sholyn822

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Yes its the stock one. But temp was at 60c when it crashed again... Doesnt seem to work any better than 3.2Ghz.. weird

Take the house fan away , put side back on case, and test again...it wont be 60 this time lol...

Sholyn822

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Did so.

This time it didnt even goto cpu performance part on WEI tho. Crashed at 71c

But cpu should handle 85c. How come the test fails at 60c and 71c ?

Badly seated stock fan? I still think bout the psu! :)

I am surprised nobody has told you...you CANNOT overclock on the standard fan...you need a much better aftermarket fan that's designed to help cooling for overclocking...

Sholyn822

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Didn't say anything bout overclocking mate. Stock speed is 3.8Ghz. I need to underclock it to make this system work steadily..<:

Sholyn822

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Maybe the fan is so bad it cant even handle stock speed? But if that's the case..why my home fan didn't help. temps looked fine and it still crashed.