Sign in with
Your question

GTX460 making a strange noise

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 19, 2012 4:34:04 PM

It's not too loud, when the PC side panel is closed I can barely hear it. It makes this weird high-pitched rumbling noise, I don't really know how to describe it. I've found a video on YouTube with the same problem. The user who uploaded this video isn't actually me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erps_qxmBtY&feature=rela...

It isn't exactly as loud as in the video and my performance doesn't change when the sound occurs, I can still play Skyrim fine, the GPU only makes this sound when I'm playing games like Skyrim or BF3. When I'm derping around the internet it doesn't make this noise, when I turn on my PC it doesn't make the noise either. Anyways, I'm going to take my GPU out of my motherboard and clean it with a air pressure compressor.

Thanks in advance.
July 19, 2012 5:26:27 PM

its most likely the fan hitting something or just noisy from worn bearings. dusting it out is a good idea, make sure there aren't any cables in the gpu fans way.

way to test if its the fan or not: disconnect the fan from the card
July 19, 2012 9:08:10 PM

Sounds like a bad fan or something is brushing against it. I agree with flank21 to dust it out.
Related resources
July 20, 2012 8:44:11 AM

I've dusted it out, though there was barely any dust in it. It still makes that noise every now and then when I'm gaming.
July 20, 2012 4:10:05 PM

interesting, I think it still could be worn bearings resulting in a noisy fan, it is not uncommon. Also I know some motherboards have a fan on their south-bridge heatsink and sometimes its located flush with the pcie slot. Can you check to see if you have this type of setup and if so make sure there is nothing touching your SB HSF.
July 20, 2012 6:30:59 PM

Usually happens when PSU is low...how many watts does ur PSU have..??....had similiar issues with my XFX 9600gtx..replaced my 400w to 550 watt ..fixed for me
!