Sign in with
Your question

Evga GTX 670 black screen, maxed fan speed

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 19, 2012 4:55:42 PM

Hello,

I did a few google searched and looked around here to see if I could find a similar crash, but without any luck really. Here is what happened:

My computer was on for about 10 minutes and I opened World of Warcraft. I was away from the computer for a couple minutes, walked back in and sat down. As soon as I did my screens went black and the fan on the GTX 670 ramped up to max speed. I kinda panicked and powered down my computer. I left it for a few minutes to do some searches and then came back in to see if there was a serious problem. All is fine right now.

My concern is if the fan kicking up to 100% like that is a indicator for some kind of problem? I would imagine it would only do that if the card itself was actually hot. Not really sure what's going on here. It has only happened once and I have the game open currently seeing if it will do it again.

This system is about 2 weeks old or so. Here is what I am running.

i5 3570 @ 4.4
ASUS Z77 LK
EVGA GTX 670, latest drivers from Nvidia (dated may I believe)
Corsair TX750

I have yet to have the card go over about 60C and the processor only goes above 50C when I was stress testing it for stability.

Thanks for any advice.

Rick
July 19, 2012 5:27:23 PM

Fans spinning up to 100% from time to time happen. Did it stay on 100% for long? Or did you turn it off right after it spun up that high? On my current PC my fans will spin up every so often when first opening a couple games.
m
l
July 19, 2012 5:48:24 PM

It has never done this before. When the screens went black and the fan speed maxed out I wasn't sure what to do so I shut off the computer in case the GPU was overheating.
m
l
Related resources
July 19, 2012 5:54:59 PM

i dont believe it was anything your game was probobly loading up which is why there was a black screen and as for your fans they're fine when going under pressure,like loading up a game,they tend to go a bit faster
m
l
November 23, 2012 3:15:40 PM

disinfertention said:
Hello,

I did a few google searched and looked around here to see if I could find a similar crash, but without any luck really. Here is what happened:

My computer was on for about 10 minutes and I opened World of Warcraft. I was away from the computer for a couple minutes, walked back in and sat down. As soon as I did my screens went black and the fan on the GTX 670 ramped up to max speed. I kinda panicked and powered down my computer. I left it for a few minutes to do some searches and then came back in to see if there was a serious problem. All is fine right now.

My concern is if the fan kicking up to 100% like that is a indicator for some kind of problem? I would imagine it would only do that if the card itself was actually hot. Not really sure what's going on here. It has only happened once and I have the game open currently seeing if it will do it again.

This system is about 2 weeks old or so. Here is what I am running.

i5 3570 @ 4.4
ASUS Z77 LK
EVGA GTX 670, latest drivers from Nvidia (dated may I believe)
Corsair TX750

I have yet to have the card go over about 60C and the processor only goes above 50C when I was stress testing it for stability.

Thanks for any advice.

Rick

I have this problem! exact same! i tried reinstalling the nvidia 306.97 driver and it worked!, but then after a couple of days it started crashing again? it staring to irritate me a bit...

Did you ever solve it?

cheers
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 23, 2012 3:43:11 PM

No problem, EVGA got lifetime warranty, just bring it back to the shop. :) 
m
l
November 24, 2012 10:10:44 PM

nvidia drivers default to 20% fan speed, I manually set my to 100 after I bootup and my system never crashes,a bit noisy but livable . have not found a rock solid way of having the fan kickup higher on bootup,tried ntune but it seems a bit flaky
m
l
November 25, 2012 11:46:31 AM

coxbw said:
nvidia drivers default to 20% fan speed, I manually set my to 100 after I bootup and my system never crashes,a bit noisy but livable . have not found a rock solid way of having the fan kickup higher on bootup,tried ntune but it seems a bit flaky

I'm pretty sure that temperature is not the problem because it only crashes after 2 minutes on BF3 and i know that it does not get that hot? , I'm fairly sure it's something to do with the drivers?
m
l
November 25, 2012 12:27:33 PM

Hey man The exact same thing happened to me before all i did was take it out and re install it in the pci slot then downloaded the latest drivers give that a try
m
l
November 25, 2012 2:34:36 PM

ciaranmc2011 said:
Hey man The exact same thing happened to me before all i did was take it out and re install it in the pci slot then downloaded the latest drivers give that a try

Cheers fella, will do :) 
m
l
!