Sign in with
Your question

Possibly broken the CPU fan header?

Last response: in Systems
September 7, 2012 1:48:56 AM

I had been having problems getting my system to boot a while ago, but I managed to get it to boot and all was fine so I decided to manage the cables a little better and i tried turning it back on and the CPU fan isn't turning and it won't boot into the bios, just says "no signal" is there anything else it could be?
September 7, 2012 1:54:33 AM

also.

Is there anyway to know if its the header or the PSU cable?
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2012 1:59:31 AM

I have no idea, try google mate. Sorry I cant be of much help :( 
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2012 2:01:02 AM

More system info please. Have you done any upgrades lately?
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2012 2:01:55 AM

knightdog56 said:
More system info please. Have you done ant upgrades lately?

Yes this too, could help me too..
m
l
September 7, 2012 2:11:03 AM

it's an entirely new build...

GPU: 2GB MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k
MOBO: MSI Z77A-G45
PSU: 650W Corsair Enthusiast TX V2
RAM: 8GB (2 x 4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
SSD: 120GB Samsung 830
HDD: 1TB Seagate 7200 RPM
CASE: NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower
DVDRW: Sony AD-5280S-0B 24x
m
l
September 7, 2012 2:19:04 AM

Again, it was working fine until I did some cable management.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2012 2:23:28 AM

Yeah but you said it was playing up before the cable management too.
m
l
September 7, 2012 2:26:24 AM

It was, but then I got it up and running and all was fine, then i turned it off just to move some cables about and it won't turn on now.
m
l
September 7, 2012 2:27:24 AM

the reason it was playing up before was to do with the gpu, i had to remove the graphics card then install windows then install the graphics card again, that fixed my issues before.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2012 2:31:20 AM

foxh0und said:
the reason it was playing up before was to do with the gpu, i had to remove the graphics card then install windows then install the graphics card again, that fixed my issues before.

Try taking it off again, then the ram and so on, that way you can rule out certain things.
m
l
September 7, 2012 2:41:12 AM

spat55 said:
Try taking it off again, then the ram and so on, that way you can rule out certain things.

Just tried and still nothing, i'm pretty sure it's something to do with the cable for the 8pin or the header for the 8pin cause nothing else should have been affected by moving a few cables.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2012 2:49:16 AM

foxh0und said:
Just tried and still nothing, i'm pretty sure it's something to do with the cable for the 8pin or the header for the 8pin cause nothing else should have been affected by moving a few cables.

Some mobo stop this but have you tried this, get a 4 or 3 pin adapter to molex and straight into the psu? Not sure but some allow you to and it could work and then you'll know
m
l
September 7, 2012 2:55:27 AM

also two of these

m
l
September 7, 2012 2:55:57 AM

spat55 said:
Some mobo stop this but have you tried this, get a 4 or 3 pin adapter to molex and straight into the psu? Not sure but some allow you to and it could work and then you'll know

Whats that???

I have two of these...

m
l
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2012 3:15:05 AM

foxh0und said:
also two of these

http://i49.tinypic.com/1zxwf1c.jpg

your cpu pins plug into one end, then the other is a molex, so has three or four pointy ends which then plugs into what you are holding ^^^^
m
l
September 7, 2012 3:35:01 AM

Hmmm, for some reason it started working again, not sure why after the 10th time of plugging and unplugging the 8 pin it decided to work again, but I'm having new problems now, I turn the PC on and it functions correctly, all fans spinning, all components being recognised. but now this is my problem.

I turn the PC off by the power switch on my case, OS shuts down - everything is still on except nothing on my screen
I turn the PC off by Windows 7, OS shuts down - everything is still on except nothing on my screen
I hold down the power switch on my case after OS shut down - Nothing happens, everything still on except nothing on my screen.

Only way to switch it off is by the PSU switch and as soon as I switch the PSU switch on again it boots up the system...

Hmmm faulty 8 pin maybe? I don't know.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 13, 2012 12:55:01 AM

Check to see if power switch and reset switch are ok. You will have discnnect the wires from the motherboard and press the switch while taking an ohms reading using a mulitmeter. Make sure power supply is turnned off. You should get continuity when swich is depressed.
m
l
!