Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Reboot and Select proper Boot device error

Last response: in Systems
September 7, 2012 2:07:14 AM

Please help me with this, this has been a ridiculously annoying week with this previously perfect PC. I started another thread recently because my computer was shutting down randomly and then eventually would just freeze in BIOS or safe mode. I replaced the hard drive which didn't solve it. I now today just finished installed a new MOBO and CPU and am getting this unrelenting error:

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key."

I've gone through ever thread on the topic I could find. The ones involving diskpart don't help me, I tried, and my drives aren't partitioned anyway. I tried rearranging boot priority. I ran Windows start-up repair 5 times. I would normally assume I installed a wire wrong or something but it recognizes both of my hard drives as well as my DVD drive. If I put my Windows installation disk in I can get to that no problem. I considered reinstalling Windows but I don't see how that would help as this isn't a Windows problem. I have no idea what to do, I just want this computer nightmare to end.

Cooler Master HAF 932 case
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4 GHz
MoBo: ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3
RAM: 8GB DDR3 G.Skill
GPU: GeForce GTX 460
PSU: Corsair HX750w modular
HDD: a 750gb Seagate SATA and a 500gb Seagate SATA (brand new)

Best solution

September 7, 2012 2:41:06 AM

I would try booting directly to the drive with the OS.

Or power down the rig, disconnect everything other than the keyboard, mouse and OS drive.

If it still gives the error, there may be a problem with the boot sector on the OS drive. If you can't boot directly to the OS drive and windows repair doesn't work either, a complete reformat and re installation of the OS (and the boot sector) may be in order.

If you have another rig, you could test it in that, and if it doesn't work, temporarily install the OS drive in the working rig (but don't boot to it) and save all your important files before formatting.
September 7, 2012 2:44:24 AM

Z1NONLY said:
I would try booting directly to the drive with the OS.

Or power down the rig, disconnect everything other than the keyboard, mouse and OS drive.

If it still gives the error, there may be a problem with the boot sector on the OS drive. If you can't boot directly to the OS drive and windows repair doesn't work either, a complete reformat and re installation of the OS (and the boot sector) may be in order.

If you have another rig, you could test it in that, and if it doesn't work, temporarily install the OS drive in the working rig (but don't boot to it) and save all your important files before formatting.

Tried the direct boot. Tried disconnecting everything. I'll do a reinstall and see if that helps.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 7, 2012 3:09:42 AM

Try leaving your Windows 7 install disk in the CD/DVD drive. Then set your CD/DVD drive as the first boot device in BIOS and the HDD as the second boot device and disable ALL other devices from the boot order. When you boot it will tell you to "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD....". DON'T press any key and let it boot from the HDD. I'll bet it works everytime.

I have seen this happen on my computer a couple of times after I update the BIOS. Before the BIOS update it will boot fine from the HDD but after BIOS update I have to leave the windows 7 install disk in the CD/DVD drive to get it to boot. It's annoying and ridiculous but it works. I also have an ASUS MOBO.
m
l
September 14, 2012 5:49:15 PM

I did a reinstall of windows and it immediately booted up and worked fine and has consistently worked fine since. Wanted to update this problem in case anyone has it in the future.
m
l
September 21, 2012 10:33:55 PM

Best answer selected by jlawrence85.
m
l
February 11, 2014 5:04:31 AM

I amhaving the exact same problem on a new build PC, haven't even got as far as installing the OS yet,
m
l
February 24, 2014 6:28:17 PM

I bought a second hard drive from an add on facebook,, when i plugged it in, it created a raid format, since it has done that , everything i have tried brings me back to the same screen "Select proper boot method or insert media with boot" , you name it I have tried it... I tried my original hard drive by itself as it was before, tried both together, tried switching cables around and unplugging and replugging, i tried different cables, i went in the bios and tried every which way to boot either from hdd, cd-rom or even by usb. nothing works, i cannot boot off anything,,, i put my windows cd in my laptop and it works fine and i can start the set up but when i put it in my desktop i still come up to the same problem, i cant open my computer at all anymore... anyone have a solution to this ? anything stupid i didnt try ?? oh and i have reset the bios to default settings and i have removed the motherboard battery to clear the bios, still no change. both hard drives and cd drives are detected in the bios , thats as far as i can go though ....
m
l
3 minutes ago

JLawrence85 said:
I did a reinstall of windows and it immediately booted up and worked fine and has consistently worked fine since. Wanted to update this problem in case anyone has it in the future.

Hi

Could you please please tell me if all your files were saved after the reinstall ?Desperate for this
m
l
!