Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build Randomly Freezing Every Couple Minutes

Last response: in Systems
September 7, 2012 3:05:00 AM

Built my computer on Wednesday. Installed Windows 7, all of my motherboard drivers and video card drivers. Computer freezes at random times. Usually if I haven't used it in a while I can get maybe 40 minutes of usage and then it starts freezing in shorter intervals. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

System Specs: * Corsair 400r Case * 620 Seasonic PSU * Crucial M4 128 GB SSD * ASRock Z77 Motherboard * 16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram * Intel i5 3750k * MSI 660 Ti Power Edition

a b B Homebuilt system
September 7, 2012 3:13:04 AM

What you wanna do is isolate each component. Get prime 95 or intel burn test in order to test CPU. Get unigene's heaven or furmark for GPU stabilty. Then test the ram by checking each stick individually. I am guessing the ram is the issue. That component seems to fail a lot.
m
l
September 7, 2012 3:22:34 AM

lt_dan_zsu said:
What you wanna do is isolate each component. Get prime 95 or intel burn test in order to test CPU. Get unigene's heaven or furmark for GPU stabilty. Then test the ram by checking each stick individually. I am guessing the ram is the issue. That component seems to fail a lot.

Thanks so much I will try this. What would be the best way to test the ram individually?

Edit: I see that Prime95 tests ram as well as CPU. Thanks
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 7, 2012 3:29:22 AM

Take all the ram sticks out and then test each one buy itself. A good test to run is memtest, but it takes a really long time to run so you might want to just try doing whatever you do, I assume gaming. So if it runs stably for a decent amount of time then that ram stick is fine and then you can check the next on, I assume you have two or four. Also is i BSODing or is it just straight up freezing? Another good indication I noticed is that if the ram is bad it will freeze at the same time while doing the same task consistently. Like a certain game will take about the same amount of time to freeze. When my GPU failed it didn't BSOD, that is why I ask.
m
l
September 7, 2012 3:41:59 AM

lt_dan_zsu said:
Take all the ram sticks out and then test each one buy itself. A good test to run is memtest, but it takes a really long time to run so you might want to just try doing whatever you do, I assume gaming. So if it runs stably for a decent amount of time then that ram stick is fine and then you can check the next on, I assume you have two or four. Also is i BSODing or is it just straight up freezing? Another good indication I noticed is that if the ram is bad it will freeze at the same time while doing the same task consistently. Like a certain game will take about the same amount of time to freeze. When my GPU failed it didn't BSOD, that is why I ask.

It's not BSODing just freezing. I haven't even installed any games or software other than Chrome. It freezes either when I'm using Chrome or when I'm just going through folders or settings. I'm running Prime95 right now and will try the Ram after. Thanks again for all of your help, I really appreciate it.
m
l
September 7, 2012 4:54:48 AM

lt_dan_zsu said:

Ok so I ran Unigene Heaven once with both sticks in and also ran Prime95. Then I ran Unigene Heaven with stick A in and benchmarked it. It finished and eventually froze when I was using Chrome. I switched to stick B and ran Unigene Heaven and benchmarked it. It worked fine then I tried cranking the settings to max (extreme tesselation, max AA, etc) and within a few minutes it froze the same way it has been freezing.

Any other ideas?

Edit: I just ran the test on max settings with both sticks in and it worked fine. It seems to be freezing when I am using the mouse more often than when I let programs run. Not sure if that would make any difference.
m
l
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2012 7:54:36 PM

Eh?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2012 7:56:47 PM

OP, make sure you have all the right drivers installed. Sometimes with these new systems you can think they are, but will be missing some USB drivers, for instance.

Check the MB BIOS list for updates addressing stability as well.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2012 7:58:12 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Trying to remove the best answer for the op.

Ah :)  Looks like you did it :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b \ Driver
a c 1215 V Motherboard
September 9, 2012 7:58:43 PM

Trying to remove the best answer for the op.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b \ Driver
a c 1215 V Motherboard
September 9, 2012 8:00:08 PM

Proxi anyway to make it not solved?besides a repost.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2012 8:03:03 PM

I'll take this one over and help him out. I don't think we can erase the solved flag though.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b \ Driver
a c 1215 V Motherboard
September 9, 2012 8:06:43 PM

They should have an option for that.Thanks proxi.
m
l
September 10, 2012 3:48:16 AM

Hey everyone sorry I wasn't near a computer the past two days. I tried everything from each thread and I even drove an hour to Micro Center to get their advice. The best I got from them is it might be the motherboard. Apparently I am getting the error A2 and it is a common one among ASrock mobos. Not 100% I will have time to test it some more tomorrow. Thanks again everyone for your help.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 10, 2012 3:53:40 AM

OK let us know :) 
m
l
September 12, 2012 4:37:53 PM

Proximon said:
OK let us know :) 

I thought the motherboard might be defective and I exchanged it for another one but still no luck. Is it possible my memory is incompatible with my mobo?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 12, 2012 6:38:59 PM

Did you update the BIOS?.

Are you certain you have the RAM in the right slots? Check your manual.

Run CPU-Z and post a screenshot of each tab. You may need to change the slot in the SPD tab in order to see the RAM.

I see no indication anywhere that you have monitored the CPU temps. Run Real Temp and post that pic too please.

m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 12, 2012 7:21:25 PM

Your command rate is set to 1T and is supposed to be 2T per the SPD. That is a problem.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 12, 2012 7:24:21 PM

... and your temps are too high. That CPU cooler is not on right, or is defective. Take the back off of the case and make sure each of those plastic pins are fully engaged with the board, pushed all the way in.
m
l
September 12, 2012 8:01:23 PM

Proximon said:
... and your temps are too high. That CPU cooler is not on right, or is defective. Take the back off of the case and make sure each of those plastic pins are fully engaged with the board, pushed all the way in.

In my BIOS when I go to DRAM settings the only option for command rate that I see is set to auto (1N) and unchangeable.

One of the pins was not all the way in and my temp is lower now. Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/O5yGa.png

Edit:

Thanks so much for your help. If this is the fix I am going to feel like the biggest idiot.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 12, 2012 8:19:39 PM

NP. You will likely have to take another setting off auto to gain access to your DRAM timings.

We don't want any CPU core to hit 70c again. Keep an eye on that.
m
l
September 12, 2012 8:49:58 PM

Proximon said:
NP. You will likely have to take another setting off auto to gain access to your DRAM timings.

We don't want any CPU core to hit 70c again. Keep an eye on that.

I'm ready to tear my hair out. Just froze again. I set the XMP Profile to Profile 1 which is 10-10-10-27 with command rate 2N.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 12, 2012 8:58:48 PM

If the CPU was cooked it might be damaged. At this point I would swap it out to test... but of course you might not have that luxury.
m
l
September 12, 2012 9:07:25 PM

Proximon said:
If the CPU was cooked it might be damaged. At this point I would swap it out to test... but of course you might not have that luxury.

I should be able to do that tomorrow.

I have two more things that might help diagnose something. When I have speakers plugged in and it freezes, the audio that is playing slows down to a super slow speed for a few seconds before dying out.

Also occasionally the USB's are not recognized when I start up and I have to unplug and plug them in again. I have installed all the latest drivers.

Thanks again for all of your help.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 12, 2012 9:35:11 PM

It's hard to tell CPU from MB issues these days. It was easier before they started incorporating more of the control into the CPU. If swapping out the CPU doesn't fix it, then the MB should.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 480 V Motherboard
September 12, 2012 9:53:42 PM

Do you update the SSD firmware for the company website?
m
l
September 12, 2012 10:16:18 PM

Proximon said:
It's hard to tell CPU from MB issues these days. It was easier before they started incorporating more of the control into the CPU. If swapping out the CPU doesn't fix it, then the MB should.

Yesterday I went straight to MicroCenter after work and exchanged the mobo so it's not that. I think I am going to have to RMA the processor. :( 

The SSD firmware is up to date.
m
l
September 13, 2012 4:06:54 AM

Proximon said:

Well I've exchanged the cpu, mobo, and ram today. Still freezing. It just now with the CPU when I plugged in an external HDD.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 13, 2012 6:35:09 AM

Does it freeze under other operating systems?

Ubuntu?

What if you took out all the data drives and booted from UBCD and ran stress tests?
m
l
September 13, 2012 3:56:46 PM

Proximon said:
Does it freeze under other operating systems?

Ubuntu?

What if you took out all the data drives and booted from UBCD and ran stress tests?

I'm starting to think it may be windows 7 as well. I have no experience with Ubuntu. I'm thinking of trying XP 64 bit.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 13, 2012 7:51:28 PM

That would be a big mistake. XP is more insecure every day and 64-bit is full of bugs also.

I'm suggesting you isolate the issue by determining if another OS will run trouble-free, not permanently replacing Win 7. Ubuntu will install very fast and should provide a decent test.

UBCD has some specific stress tests also.
m
l
September 14, 2012 11:40:06 PM

Proximon said:
That would be a big mistake. XP is more insecure every day and 64-bit is full of bugs also.

I'm suggesting you isolate the issue by determining if another OS will run trouble-free, not permanently replacing Win 7. Ubuntu will install very fast and should provide a decent test.

UBCD has some specific stress tests also.

Just installed Ubuntu. Yesterday I installed a couple other versions of Windows 7 and still froze. Took your advice and kept away from XP.

How can I access these stress tests?

Again, thank you so much for all of your help. I can't wait for this computer to work.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2012 6:48:50 AM

Here are some tests you can try in Ubuntu
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486...

The UBCD website lists all the various stuff on the CD.

We're just looking for lockups in either OS. If those are occurring then we can safely rule out any software issue.

Although it seems so unlikely, the PSU becomes a stronger suspect all the time. Rare for a Seasonic to be bad, but it can happen.

And that reminds me. I have seen loose contacts that caused problems... this is actually easy to diagnose if you gently wiggle cables while the system is running.

Also, swap SATA cables. If you are going to boot from UBCD be sure to completely disconnect the HDD and SSD.

And what mode is the SSD and HDD operating in? BIOS should be set to AHCI.
m
l
September 15, 2012 4:32:04 PM

Proximon said:
Here are some tests you can try in Ubuntu
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486...

The UBCD website lists all the various stuff on the CD.

We're just looking for lockups in either OS. If those are occurring then we can safely rule out any software issue.

Although it seems so unlikely, the PSU becomes a stronger suspect all the time. Rare for a Seasonic to be bad, but it can happen.

And that reminds me. I have seen loose contacts that caused problems... this is actually easy to diagnose if you gently wiggle cables while the system is running.

Also, swap SATA cables. If you are going to boot from UBCD be sure to completely disconnect the HDD and SSD.

And what mode is the SSD and HDD operating in? BIOS should be set to AHCI.

BIOS is set to AHCI. I've swapped SATA cables. Ubuntu's been running for about 16 hours without freezing. I'm going to let it run all day today and if there's no freeze I'm guessing it's software.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2012 12:11:02 AM

Sounds good. Have you been using hard media to install Win 7 or downloads?
You have to be careful when downloading Win 7 from digital river or direct from the MS licensing site... it's easy to get a corrupted DL.

Also, some optical drives seem to have issues with Win 7 disks.

You can install with a USB flash drive in this case
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage...
m
l
September 16, 2012 10:10:33 PM

Proximon said:
You have to be careful when downloading Win 7 from digital river or direct from the MS licensing site... it's easy to get a corrupted DL.

Thanks Proximon. Still no freeze on Ubuntu. I am curious if the drivers that came with my mobo are bad. I think I am going to install Windows with just the video driver and let it run for a day and if there isn't a freeze I will install the drivers that I downloaded again and see if that works.
m
l
September 18, 2012 12:37:33 AM

Proximon said:

I've tried it all and I'm fed up. I'm going to take it to MicroCenter and pay for diagnostics. Thanks for all the help. I'll be sure to write what the problem is when/if they figure it out.
m
l
September 25, 2012 12:48:57 AM

Proximon said:

Ended up being a 2 week wait for diagnostics. I think I finally fixed it though. I removed the wireless card and haven't had a freeze for 3 days.

Thanks again for all of your help. I really do appreciate it!
m
l
!