Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTX280 & Coolmax ZX-600w

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 19, 2012 8:54:16 PM

Hello all,
I recently bought both of these items to build a mini gaming pc, so they are new.

I installed both in a new case, today, and everything was running fine. Windows booted, of course installing it's own temp driver so i could see the screen. I left the pc on for a little bit, just to ensure there was no sounds/smells coming from the system (always gotta watch those psus =P) everything seemed fine. I then installed the gtx280 drivers, and upon restarting, the pc boots to login, i pass that, then have about 5 minutes of screen time before the card shuts off, gives me the red light, and forces me to reboot manually.

I have read a lot of information regarding the red light, and i know it's a power issue. The only problem i have with that, is how? When i check, thru bios, for voltage readings, everything is pretty close to the specifications on the psus box.
The connectors are secure and the card is seated firmly. This power supply should easily be able to power this card, and an i7 2600S (NOT K/NOT OC'ed) and a sata hard drive. What possible problem could i have?

If the connectors are bad, or the psu itself is bad (maybe not giving the full amps/volts i need during card use) how do i go about getting "proof" or something i can tell the RMA department, to get a new one?

Sorry if there is a lot of jumbled questions in there.. it's just frustrating!
Thanks in advanced!!

More about : gtx280 coolmax 600w

Best solution

July 19, 2012 9:04:01 PM

Coolmax is a terrible power supply company. I actually bought one for my Dell when I upgraded it, not knowing how bad it was. It ran fine because it was 200 watts overkill and I ran it for 6 months, but the GTX 280 asks for 550 watts. I have read many a horror story on different sites from Coolmax after I bought it. I would try something 600 watts+ from Corsair, Seasonic, or Antec.
a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
July 19, 2012 9:05:28 PM

I know Coolmax PSU's are generally not good, but this one is 80 plus and has 40a on the 12V, so I would think it would be able to run a GTX280
m
l
July 19, 2012 9:11:22 PM

Deemo13 said:
I know Coolmax PSU's are generally not good, but this one is 80 plus and has 40a on the 12V, so I would think it would be able to run a GTX280

That's what they claim :) . It could either be a graphics card problem or a power supply problem. Do you have a spare of either?
m
l
July 19, 2012 9:11:24 PM

Yea, if i wasn't on such a ridiculous budget, i would have gone for something more brand named. Regardless if the company is reputed as a horrible psu manufacturer, would this mean the PSU is defective, or just not able to run the card? I would assume defective.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
July 19, 2012 9:19:29 PM

The 280 was pretty power hungry when it was made. It might be a defective unit or just something lame.
m
l
July 19, 2012 9:19:54 PM

nope.. i have a 300w psu but that won't do it... or connect to it hah. and no other video card. i know it's not the video card, it's def a power issue, just trying to figure out how to rma it now.
m
l
July 19, 2012 9:23:44 PM

Deemo13 said:
The 280 was pretty power hungry when it was made. It might be a defective unit or just something lame.

If I remember correctly the GTX 280 had some serious problems.

I would try returning the PSU to newegg (I assume that is where you bought it because you linked me there) and buying a new one.

This is my search on newegg, anything there would be a great option, though I would get something from Antec, Corsair, XFX, Seasonic, and maybe Cooler Master and stay above 600 watts:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=P...

But it could also be a graphics issue...
m
l
July 19, 2012 9:25:49 PM

Deemo13 said:
If you got it on Newegg, just get onto your account, click on your name, and then click RMA. Then select the item.

You have any other ideas before he would send it back?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 19, 2012 9:41:22 PM

NO - get rid of it - from what I have read about Coolmax - RUN AWAY!!!! You are playing with fire from designs that are very old, inefficient, poorly designed, and just in no shape or form to be equated to a quality psu. Spend a few extra $$ and protect your hardware.
-Bruce
m
l
July 19, 2012 10:07:05 PM

Best answer selected by tooPostal.
m
l
July 19, 2012 10:28:16 PM

dish_moose said:
NO - get rid of it - from what I have read about Coolmax - RUN AWAY!!!! You are playing with fire from designs that are very old, inefficient, poorly designed, and just in no shape or form to be equated to a quality psu. Spend a few extra $$ and protect your hardware.
-Bruce

After seeing your comment, i have to just agree with both you and gidg. I gave him best answer, since he technically said what you said, first... but thank you for additionally persuading me to send it back, instead of rma it for replacement. Get what you pay for; I'm not gonna be able to pick up a good PSU with 44 bucks, and sadly, won't be anytime soon to get a new one. Sucks...
Thanks for the help guys!
m
l
!