Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to get 3 Monitors to work

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 19, 2012 10:34:40 PM

Hey, I had a friend put together this setup for me. The video card has 2 dvi slots and one mini display ports. I have one monitor with hdmi and dvi, one with dvi and vga, and i wanted to use another smaller one with vga. The first monitor is pluged in with hdmi into the mini display port with an adapter. The other is dvi and goes into one of the dvis. The last one plugs into the dvi with an adapter.

It recognizes all 3, i can use use 2 at a time but not 3 at the same time. How can i get them all to work?

I have an i7 ivy bridge card, doesnt it have built in graphics, and the motherboard had display port and hdmi.

Is there any way to get different adapters to get them all to work with this setup?

Or can i get a really cheap video card to plug the other monitor into?
can you let me know which kind would work with this setup? and how does that work, which card would adobe premiere use for the video editing?

My video card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My motherboard:

MY case:

My CPU:
http://www.jr.com/intel/pe/ITE_BX806I73770/

Thanks a million!

More about : monitors work

a c 106 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 19, 2012 10:51:08 PM

just to be sure, do you have them in sli, because i could have sworn you have to have cards in sli for 580 and older cards in order to to run 3 screens with nvidias 3d surround
m
l
July 19, 2012 10:54:00 PM

dudewitbow said:
just to be sure, do you have them in sli, because i could have sworn you have to have cards in sli for 580 and older cards in order to to run 3 screens with nvidias 3d surround

I dont know what sli is.... so i cant get a different card just to plug a third display into?
m
l
Related resources
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 19, 2012 10:59:42 PM

mottyengel said:
I dont know what sli is.... so i cant get a different card just to plug a third display into?

essentially, in order to use a gen 5 gtx or lower(outside of the dual cards) to run 3 screens, you have to have 2 of the same gpus to run all 3 screens with combined gpu powers. You can also use a different gpu, but while gaming/doing work, it will only use the main gpu and the second one will only power up the 3rd monitor.

nvidia hadn't stepped into single card to display 3+ monitors until the gtx 6xx series.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 195 C Monitor
July 19, 2012 11:05:31 PM

The GTX 560 Ti cannot recognize 3 monitors on it's own. You need two GTX 560 Ti SLI'ed together to use a 3 monitor setup. Basically you need a motherboard supports SLI. Not all motherboards with two PCI-e 8x or 16x slot means it is compatible with SLI.

SLI is basically for better gaming performance when you combine the power of two nVidia cards of the same model. However, it seems you only want to be able to use the 3rd monitor for "normal" things outside of gaming. You can simply buy another nVidia GT 5xx series card in order to do so.
m
l
July 19, 2012 11:38:28 PM

jaguarskx said:
The GTX 560 Ti cannot recognize 3 monitors on it's own. You need two GTX 560 Ti SLI'ed together to use a 3 monitor setup. Basically you need a motherboard supports SLI. Not all motherboards with two PCI-e 8x or 16x slot means it is compatible with SLI.

SLI is basically for better gaming performance when you combine the power of two nVidia cards of the same model. However, it seems you only want to be able to use the 3rd monitor for "normal" things outside of gaming. You can simply buy another nVidia GT 5xx series card in order to do so.

My question is, can i get one of these cards and plug the third monitor into it, bu the other card will still be used for the video editing? i understand that to increase performance i should get the same one and sli them, but i just want to know for now, with this card let me extend onto a third display? will it just work (plug it in install the diver and done?) will it give me any issues?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/763899-REG/ASUS_E...
m
l
July 20, 2012 12:21:00 AM

If you want to run 3 screens you do not need to have an sli setup. You will need 2 cards but you could add an older card and run the 3rd screen from that as long as you have enough internal pci-e slots. This card could then be used for physX if needed or just for the monitor. If you want to use Nvidia surround then you will need 2 of the same cards but not just to use 3 monitors.
m
l
July 20, 2012 12:25:53 AM

MEMOFLEX said:
If you want to run 3 screens you do not need to have an sli setup. You will need 2 cards but you could add an older card and run the 3rd screen from that as long as you have enough internal pci-e slots. This card could then be used for physX if needed or just for the monitor. If you want to use Nvidia surround then you will need 2 of the same cards but not just to use 3 monitors.

Could I get an external one? USB?
m
l
July 20, 2012 12:37:10 AM

Never heard of an external card until I read this post tbh so no idea how or if it would work. I ran a 560 ti with an older 260 so that I could have 3 screens before I went to sli (for gaming purposes more than anything else). You have a second PCI-E port on that motherboard so you basically have 3 options :

1. Get the external card
2. Pick up a low cost Nvidia GPU and run the 3rd monitor from it ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) or whatever you want but preferably single slot card.
3. Get a second identical card and double your GPU power and still use a 3rd monitor.

Decisions decisions lol
m
l

Best solution

a c 76 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 20, 2012 12:48:47 AM

USB display link adapters are not a great option. they offload to the CPU, have limited resolution, and are completely unneeded here.

mottyengel, simply go into the bios options for the integrated card and put it in multi-monitor mode, then connect your HDMI display to the motherboard. you can use the integrated and dedicated gpu at the same time. There is no reason to buy another gpu when you already have one in the system.

Edit: it's under system agent configuration in the advanced menu. Page 3-28 of your motherboard manual
July 20, 2012 12:56:37 AM

So there is a fourth option and it seems to be the best of the bunch. I didn't realise this was possible. Hope my suggestions were not misleading.

Hope you get it working
m
l
July 20, 2012 2:01:53 AM

Best answer selected by mottyengel.
m
l
July 20, 2012 2:33:24 AM

Thanks everyone! Youve all been alot of help!
unksol had the best answer to my specific issue which is just to enable the integrated graphics.
But i did learn alot of new info that will be very helpful in the future and thanks memoflex for summing it all up and simplifying!
Thanks again everyone!
m
l
!