  • Configuration
  • Wallpaper
  • Windows XP
July 27, 2005 9:20:02 PM

I would like to move my logo jpg that I use as a wallpaper in a center
position, to the upper right corner of my desktop.
I used to do that in windows 2000 if I am not wrong on the version.
Does anyone knows if it is possible to set the position in windows XP?
And if it is, how to do it?
As far as I remember it must be a setting in the registry that establish
that position.
Thanks for your help!
Maurizio

More about : changing wallpaper position

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 2:20:35 PM

Position the Wallpaper image anywhere in your Desktop:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/wallpaperpos.htm

Assumes your system has no Policies set.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"MaurizioC" <MaurizioC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to move my logo jpg that I use as a wallpaper in a center
> position, to the upper right corner of my desktop.
> I used to do that in windows 2000 if I am not wrong on the version.
> Does anyone knows if it is possible to set the position in windows XP?
> And if it is, how to do it?
> As far as I remember it must be a setting in the registry that establish
> that position.
> Thanks for your help!
> Maurizio
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 2:20:36 PM

Thanks Ramesh, I have downloaded, installed and run the utility, but does not
change the position. If the wallpaper policy is inforced, can I change it?
Where am I suppose to look for it ... I start to get lost ...
Thanks I appreciate your help.
Maurizio

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Position the Wallpaper image anywhere in your Desktop:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/wallpaperpos.htm
>
> Assumes your system has no Policies set.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "MaurizioC" <MaurizioC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I would like to move my logo jpg that I use as a wallpaper in a center
> > position, to the upper right corner of my desktop.
> > I used to do that in windows 2000 if I am not wrong on the version.
> > Does anyone knows if it is possible to set the position in windows XP?
> > And if it is, how to do it?
> > As far as I remember it must be a setting in the registry that establish
> > that position.
> > Thanks for your help!
> > Maurizio

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 10:52:35 PM

Maurizio,

First, the utility is tested only in Windows XP. For stand-alone XP Pro
systems, open Group Policy Editor, and then Set the "Active Desktop
Wallpaper" to "Not Configured".

Registry keys and Wallpaper Policy setting:

"Wallpaper" & "WallpaperStyle" in these locations:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

"TileWallpaper" Value in these locations:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop

--

> Thanks Ramesh, I have downloaded, installed and run the utility, but does
> not
> change the position. If the wallpaper policy is inforced, can I change it?
> Where am I suppose to look for it ... I start to get lost ...
> Thanks I appreciate your help.
> Maurizio
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Position the Wallpaper image anywhere in your Desktop:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/wallpaperpos.htm
>>
>> Assumes your system has no Policies set.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "MaurizioC" <MaurizioC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I would like to move my logo jpg that I use as a wallpaper in a center
>> > position, to the upper right corner of my desktop.
>> > I used to do that in windows 2000 if I am not wrong on the version.
>> > Does anyone knows if it is possible to set the position in windows XP?
>> > And if it is, how to do it?
>> > As far as I remember it must be a setting in the registry that
>> > establish
>> > that position.
>> > Thanks for your help!
>> > Maurizio

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 10:52:36 PM

This is a stand alone unit running Windows XP pro.

In the Group Policy the Wallpaper is set "not configured"

Actually nothing is configured there.

I went to check the registry as per your indications and this is what I found:

With your
indication:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System,

I can get up to Policies, after that there is no System Directory inside
this folder, the only directory that I have is Explorer

-------------------------

With your
indication:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System "TileWallpaper"
I can get to the System but I do not have "Tile Wallpaper"

With your
indication:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control
Panel\Desktop

I arrive to Microsoft and the only folder that I have inside is System
Certificates

------------------------------

Woth your
indication:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control
Panel\Desktop

I arrive to Windows directory but inside I do not have the Directory of
Control Panel ...

It looks like that we are talking about two different systems ... how can it
be possible?

Now I am getting curious, and I need to understand! or I am just plain
stupid ... any other suggestion?

Thanks

Maurizio

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Maurizio,
>
> First, the utility is tested only in Windows XP. For stand-alone XP Pro
> systems, open Group Policy Editor, and then Set the "Active Desktop
> Wallpaper" to "Not Configured".
>
> Registry keys and Wallpaper Policy setting:
>
> "Wallpaper" & "WallpaperStyle" in these locations:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>
> "TileWallpaper" Value in these locations:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "MaurizioC" <MaurizioC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Ramesh, I have downloaded, installed and run the utility, but does
> > not
> > change the position. If the wallpaper policy is inforced, can I change it?
> > Where am I suppose to look for it ... I start to get lost ...
> > Thanks I appreciate your help.
> > Maurizio
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Position the Wallpaper image anywhere in your Desktop:
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/wallpaperpos.htm
> >>
> >> Assumes your system has no Policies set.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "MaurizioC" <MaurizioC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 12:34:03 AM

Maurizio,

The WallpaperMover utility works fine in my systems here. No idea why the
utility does not work in your system. Perhaps you may try the manual
procedure as explained here:

> [...]
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>>
>> "TileWallpaper" Value in these locations:
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control
>> Panel\Desktop
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control
>> Panel\Desktop
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "MaurizioC" <MaurizioC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks Ramesh, I have downloaded, installed and run the utility, but
>> > does
>> > not
>> > change the position. If the wallpaper policy is inforced, can I change
>> > it?
>> > Where am I suppose to look for it ... I start to get lost ...

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 12:34:04 AM

Thanks Ramesh, I think that I discovered the problem. The logo that I was
using was an animated gif, as soon as I changed to a static jpg file, it went
right where I wanted it to be.
The funny is that as a center or a tile multiplied to the all screen, as
well as a stretched one, the animated gif works.
Oh well, I had just to change graphic, not big deal.

The information on the Registry was under:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop.

And your utility worked just fine as soon as I changed the graphic.

Thanks for your help!

Maurizio

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> [...]
> > stupid ... any other suggestion?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Maurizio
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Maurizio,
> >>
> >> First, the utility is tested only in Windows XP. For stand-alone XP Pro
> >> systems, open Group Policy Editor, and then Set the "Active Desktop
> >> Wallpaper" to "Not Configured".
> >>
> >> Registry keys and Wallpaper Policy setting:
> >>
> >> "Wallpaper" & "WallpaperStyle" in these locations:
> >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> >>
> >> "TileWallpaper" Value in these locations:
> >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control
> >> Panel\Desktop
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 12:50:34 PM

LOL... I think you guys over-complicated the problem. Just edit the image
(animated or not) into your desired position in a paint program? much more
accurate and you won't have to run any third-party software.

Andy
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 11:49:35 PM

Andy,

Not over-complicating the problem. If that tool worked, it will be the
_easiest_, rather than editing every image using an editor (though that will
accomplish the task)

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org