Changing wallpaper position

I would like to move my logo jpg that I use as a wallpaper in a center
position, to the upper right corner of my desktop.
I used to do that in windows 2000 if I am not wrong on the version.
Does anyone knows if it is possible to set the position in windows XP?
And if it is, how to do it?
As far as I remember it must be a setting in the registry that establish
that position.
Thanks for your help!
Maurizio
8 answers Last reply
More about changing wallpaper position

    Position the Wallpaper image anywhere in your Desktop:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/wallpaperpos.htm

    Assumes your system has no Policies set.

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "MaurizioC" <MaurizioC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to move my logo jpg that I use as a wallpaper in a center
    > position, to the upper right corner of my desktop.
    > I used to do that in windows 2000 if I am not wrong on the version.
    > Does anyone knows if it is possible to set the position in windows XP?
    > And if it is, how to do it?
    > As far as I remember it must be a setting in the registry that establish
    > that position.
    > Thanks for your help!
    > Maurizio

    Thanks Ramesh, I have downloaded, installed and run the utility, but does not
    change the position. If the wallpaper policy is inforced, can I change it?
    Where am I suppose to look for it ... I start to get lost ...
    Thanks I appreciate your help.
    Maurizio

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Position the Wallpaper image anywhere in your Desktop:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/wallpaperpos.htm
    >
    > Assumes your system has no Policies set.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "MaurizioC" <MaurizioC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I would like to move my logo jpg that I use as a wallpaper in a center
    > > position, to the upper right corner of my desktop.
    > > I used to do that in windows 2000 if I am not wrong on the version.
    > > Does anyone knows if it is possible to set the position in windows XP?
    > > And if it is, how to do it?
    > > As far as I remember it must be a setting in the registry that establish
    > > that position.
    > > Thanks for your help!
    > > Maurizio

    Maurizio,

    First, the utility is tested only in Windows XP. For stand-alone XP Pro
    systems, open Group Policy Editor, and then Set the "Active Desktop
    Wallpaper" to "Not Configured".

    Registry keys and Wallpaper Policy setting:

    "Wallpaper" & "WallpaperStyle" in these locations:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

    "TileWallpaper" Value in these locations:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop

    --

    > Thanks Ramesh, I have downloaded, installed and run the utility, but does
    > not
    > change the position. If the wallpaper policy is inforced, can I change it?
    > Where am I suppose to look for it ... I start to get lost ...
    > Thanks I appreciate your help.
    > Maurizio
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Position the Wallpaper image anywhere in your Desktop:
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/wallpaperpos.htm
    >>
    >> Assumes your system has no Policies set.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "MaurizioC" <MaurizioC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I would like to move my logo jpg that I use as a wallpaper in a center
    >> > position, to the upper right corner of my desktop.
    >> > I used to do that in windows 2000 if I am not wrong on the version.
    >> > Does anyone knows if it is possible to set the position in windows XP?
    >> > And if it is, how to do it?
    >> > As far as I remember it must be a setting in the registry that
    >> > establish
    >> > that position.
    >> > Thanks for your help!
    >> > Maurizio

    This is a stand alone unit running Windows XP pro.

    In the Group Policy the Wallpaper is set "not configured"

    Actually nothing is configured there.

    I went to check the registry as per your indications and this is what I found:

    With your
    indication:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System,

    I can get up to Policies, after that there is no System Directory inside
    this folder, the only directory that I have is Explorer

    -------------------------

    With your
    indication:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System "TileWallpaper"
    I can get to the System but I do not have "Tile Wallpaper"

    With your
    indication:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control
    Panel\Desktop

    I arrive to Microsoft and the only folder that I have inside is System
    Certificates

    ------------------------------

    Woth your
    indication:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control
    Panel\Desktop

    I arrive to Windows directory but inside I do not have the Directory of
    Control Panel ...

    It looks like that we are talking about two different systems ... how can it
    be possible?

    Now I am getting curious, and I need to understand! or I am just plain
    stupid ... any other suggestion?

    Thanks

    Maurizio

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Maurizio,
    >
    > First, the utility is tested only in Windows XP. For stand-alone XP Pro
    > systems, open Group Policy Editor, and then Set the "Active Desktop
    > Wallpaper" to "Not Configured".
    >
    > Registry keys and Wallpaper Policy setting:
    >
    > "Wallpaper" & "WallpaperStyle" in these locations:
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    >
    > "TileWallpaper" Value in these locations:
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "MaurizioC" <MaurizioC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks Ramesh, I have downloaded, installed and run the utility, but does
    > > not
    > > change the position. If the wallpaper policy is inforced, can I change it?
    > > Where am I suppose to look for it ... I start to get lost ...
    > > Thanks I appreciate your help.
    > > Maurizio
    > >
    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Position the Wallpaper image anywhere in your Desktop:
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/wallpaperpos.htm
    > >>
    > >> Assumes your system has no Policies set.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "MaurizioC" <MaurizioC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Maurizio,

    The WallpaperMover utility works fine in my systems here. No idea why the
    utility does not work in your system. Perhaps you may try the manual
    procedure as explained here:

> [...]
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    >>
    >> "TileWallpaper" Value in these locations:
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control
    >> Panel\Desktop
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control
    >> Panel\Desktop
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "MaurizioC" <MaurizioC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks Ramesh, I have downloaded, installed and run the utility, but
    >> > does
    >> > not
    >> > change the position. If the wallpaper policy is inforced, can I change
    >> > it?
    >> > Where am I suppose to look for it ... I start to get lost ...

    Thanks Ramesh, I think that I discovered the problem. The logo that I was
    using was an animated gif, as soon as I changed to a static jpg file, it went
    right where I wanted it to be.
    The funny is that as a center or a tile multiplied to the all screen, as
    well as a stretched one, the animated gif works.
    Oh well, I had just to change graphic, not big deal.

    The information on the Registry was under:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop.

    And your utility worked just fine as soon as I changed the graphic.

    Thanks for your help!

    Maurizio

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> [...]
    > > stupid ... any other suggestion?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Maurizio
    > >
    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Maurizio,
    > >>
    > >> First, the utility is tested only in Windows XP. For stand-alone XP Pro
    > >> systems, open Group Policy Editor, and then Set the "Active Desktop
    > >> Wallpaper" to "Not Configured".
    > >>
    > >> Registry keys and Wallpaper Policy setting:
    > >>
    > >> "Wallpaper" & "WallpaperStyle" in these locations:
    > >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    > >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    > >>
    > >> "TileWallpaper" Value in these locations:
    > >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control
    > >> Panel\Desktop
    > >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control

    LOL... I think you guys over-complicated the problem. Just edit the image
    (animated or not) into your desired position in a paint program? much more
    accurate and you won't have to run any third-party software.

    Andy

    Andy,

    Not over-complicating the problem. If that tool worked, it will be the
    _easiest_, rather than editing every image using an editor (though that will
    accomplish the task)

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Andrew Bailey" <andy.j.bailey@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > LOL... I think you guys over-complicated the problem. Just edit the image
    > (animated or not) into your desired position in a paint program? much more
    > accurate and you won't have to run any third-party software.
    >
    > Andy

Configuration Wallpaper Windows XP