Sign in with
Your question

7850 Capping at 30fps while Recording

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 19, 2012 11:09:05 PM

Hi, I just got my MSI Twin Frozr III HD 7850 a few days ago and it's running great.

I overclocked to 1050/1450 and everything runs well, running BF3 at 50-60fps on ultra/high settings.

However whenever I try to record game play my fps always locks at 30 even though I dont have vsync or "lock framerate" on in any recorder. I've tried afterburner, dxtory, and fraps - always stable 30 fps and as soon as I stop recording I go back up to 60.

AGAIN - I'm not stupid, I don't have "lock framrate while recording" set during the 30fps record.

Can anyone provide some insight on why the performance takes such a hit?
Most people recording with this GPU only get a few fps drop with afterburner..
July 20, 2012 11:45:36 PM

This is VERY common (also, please list your hard drive as that will help determine the problem). Also, listen how you're recording. You're probably recording at an NTSC frame rate (29.97/30), so basically many of the recording problems take a short-cut in generating those media files by automatically capping your fps. Now, you might want to set the FPS of the video to something higher (I recommend 60,75 or so for your fps, but you might want to play on highs-meds for this.) By doing this, you're basically upping the cap for the media generated. It's probably not the GPU, but most likely something associated with your hard drive. However, with the information you provided, I'm not sure I can tell you anything else.

For the record, when I record with Fraps, I always get 30,60,90,120,150,180,210 fps and so on.
m
l
July 21, 2012 1:15:59 AM

I have tried to set fraps fps to 60 and above but same problem.

My HDD is just a standard 1TB WD
m
l
Related resources
July 21, 2012 2:50:57 AM

Yes, but how fast is it (rpm wise). Also, it's not an odd occurrence, and shouldn't hinder your gameplay at all. The problem occurs when you start getting drops to like 5 fps mid-recording, and obviously that hasn't happened yet. I'm sorry, but I really don't know how to help you anymore. This is something that ALL recording programs will have to produce media files for you, so I guess a way to stop it from capping is to stop recording. :S
m
l
July 21, 2012 3:44:31 AM

hmm I suppose I'll just keep experimenting with capture programs
m
l
!