7950 running hot?

Smawell

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Hey, just bought a new 7950 for my system and ran a fresh install of windows 8. I am running 3 monitors off the one card in 5760x1080 setup. My ambient is at around 80 right now due to the temps outside being around 90-100. Im looking at an idle temp of 56c. Is this at all normal or ok? a simple furmark run for a 1080p preset benchmark maxed me at about 73c and did so fast. keep in mind that furmark ran a duplicate on all screens. Is this something to worry about or rma? Oh, and my card is a MSI twin frozr.

Solution
yup. my 7970 idles around 52C on a 3 monitor set up, but runs 75C at full load on BF3. multiple monitors kick up your idle temperature because the card is idling at a higher clock speed. I think you should be fine

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
73C for a GPU with your ambient temps is pretty good tbh. Under full load my 560 ti's hit between 60 - 65c and I live in England lol. Ambient is around 25c on a good day. I wouldn't worry about it tbh as you are still well within safe operating temps

Smawell

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
haha we have ac, just my father is stubborn about running it too often so I have to deal with it. Thinking about ordering some 8k BTU window conditioner just for my small room lol.

Plus your idle temp is that high because of the multiple monitors. With more than one display the clock doesn't reduce to 2D clocks because it causes a flicker when multiple screens switch memory frequencies. AMD has the memory clock at full speed all the time with multiple monitors. I bet with a single monitor your idle would be much lower.

yup. my 7970 idles around 52C on a 3 monitor set up, but runs 75C at full load on BF3. multiple monitors kick up your idle temperature because the card is idling at a higher clock speed. I think you should be fine

Solution