Video Editing and gaming build, budget <$800 first time builder

twipping

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Build mock up

CPU Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $159.99 @ microcenter

CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $23.99 @ SuperBiiz

Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $142.86 @ Newegg

Memory Mushkin Radioactive 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg

Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $74.99 @ NCIX US

Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 560 2GB Video Card $179.98 @ NCIX US

Case Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Newegg

Power Supply OCZ 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $39.25 @ NCIX US

Optical Drive Sony DDU1681S-0B DVD/CD Drive $25.97 @ Newegg

Total
Prices include shipping and discounts when available. $767.01

Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-06 13:58 EDT-0400

Hello everyone, I've been wanting to build a pc for a couple of months and have done some research. I might be able to go through with it in about a month and wanted to get some input so I can finalize my build.

Some of the tasks I will use the computer for will be editing video in premier pro and after effects, using other Adobe Creative suite applications such as PS and Illustrator, audio editing with various DAWs, and gaming. These are hobbies and I do not need anything seriously high end.

My main questions is what GPU would you advise? Is the one I have listed optimal for my budget? I've read that the nvidia cards are better for Adobe products but the 7850 is lauded as a much better card than the 560. Any suggestions are welcome. I've even thought about buying a used one, but I probably will not go through with it.

Most of the time I will actually be using audio workstations. I'm getting 12 GB of RAM because 16 seems overkill, but some of the sample libraries I have are huge and loading up a couple of those instruments in Kontakt renders my laptop useless. I have 4 GB of RAM in it currently. Would 8 GB be fine? 3 sticks of RAM slower than an even number? I was reading on here earlier that 2 or 4 sticks are better or something along those lines.

I also read somewhere that more RAM is good for dual monitors, although I plan on only gaming using one.

Gaming wise as I said super ultra graphics are not a huge concern for me but running things smoothly at mid-high graphics in modern and upcoming games would be nice.

I have also gone back and forth between the 3570K and the 2500K, what do you think? Every time I think I should save money I go 2500K, then I think it's only $30 for a newer one, then I'm think it'll be outdated in a couple of years anyway, and the vicious cycle continues.

Any input on any other components would also be much appreciated, especially the power supply as this will be my first build and I am not very knowledgeable.

Thank you in advance for your help.

malbluff

Honorable
First thing. Use i5-3570K. Better all round. If you shop around, you can get for virtually the same as a 2500K, although 2500K prices have come down a bit, to get rid of them.
Memory. Ditch the 3x4. Premier Pro eats RAM for breakfast. If you are fully using its capabilities 16GB is almost a minimum.
Graphics Card. Radeon cards are good value at that performance point. Unfortunately, they don't work particularly well with Adobe. The GTX 560 is OK, if your budget won't stretch to something like a GTX 660Ti. Because they have really been superceded by the 660Ti, it's possible to pick up a GTX 570, at a reasonable price. They are still, however, a reasonably good gaming card (not as good as 660Ti), and they actually work particularly well, with Adobe. Just a thought. Second hand is OK, if you've got a local "enthusiast's" club, with a "marketplace". I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, on the open market.
PS Whatever RAM you do get, make sure it's a low profile type, to ensure it doesn't physically clash with your cooler.