Sign in with
Your question

Intel I5 750 core temperatures too hot?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 22, 2013 12:14:10 AM

Hi. I recently got a graphics card (GTX 550 TI) and have been monitoring my computer with hwmonitor and CPU Z programs and noticed that while playing The Witcher 2, the temperatures on my cores go as high up as 99C. Is that okay? Here are my specs:

Motherboard: BIOSTAR T5XE CFX-SLI
CPU: Intel i5 750
BIOS: American Megatrends 080015 10/28/09
GPU: GeForce GTX 550 Ti
PSU: Thermaltake tr2 w0070ru 430w
RAM: 4g DDR3

Also, when I use CPU Z and look at the core speed and multiplier, the numbers for the speed changes from as low as 1100 MHz to as high as 3000 MHz and the multiplier as low as 9x to 20 something x

I would like info and suggestions/ideas on how to make my computer perform better. Thanks!
January 22, 2013 1:19:44 AM

Hi hotdog916,
First off 99 degrees Celsius is a very high temp. to be running at. Thats 210.2 degrees Fahrenheit. As a comparison, water boils at 100 degrees Celsius. To fix this, look into getting a better cooling solution. Either get a better CPU fan or I would recommend going with a liquid cooler just to be safe. As for the speed and multiplier changes, these are usually normal changes but, they should become more stable once you get a better cooling solution.
Hope this helps,
jhansen
m
l
January 22, 2013 2:47:39 AM

Seems to me like if you updated your graphics card, and all of a sudden your cpu started running hot. You probably knocked the heatsink out of whack a little, or maybe you didn't game before? So you weren't able to really notice the effect.

Before going and buying new stuff remove your heatsink + clean off old thermal paste, and then put it back on making sure to properly seat it (of course apply thermal paste also). Even with stock heatsink you shouldn't be hitting the 90c.

Also you need to run some time of stress test. Prime 95 is good enough to get a decent reading on your loads.
m
l
!