Dream machine 20,000 dollar budget help please

velfarre

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
I want to build a computer that will be able to handle any games and watch movies while surfing the net and checking stocks and be top of the line as far as not really needing to upgrade for at least a few years.

1. (Case) I originally wanted to go with the Thermaltake limited edition level 10 because I love the pure aesthetic value of it in a ultra modern setting but it looks like it only fits a alx mother board and not a xl-alx motherboard so I chose as a back up the cosmos 2 case because I wanted to go with the MSI Big Bang 2 Motherboard since it is the current world record holder for over clocking and seems to have a lot of great features.

2. (Mother Board) MSI Big Bang-XPower II. Intel® X79 Chipset Based
• Military Class III: Top Quality & Stability
• PCI Express Gen 3: World's 1st PCI Express Gen 3 Mainboard Brand
• Click BIOS II: World's 1st Unified UEFI & Software Graphical Interface
• OC Genie II: Overclock in 1 Second
• Supports USB 3.0 & SATA 6Gb/s. As stated above I really fell in love with this board even though I read that there has been quite a few people having to send back in for new boards because of defects. The people that have perfectly working boards seems to be happier than a fat kid getting a golden ticket to the Wonka factory.

3. (Ram) I wanted to go with the G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-19200CL10Q2-64GBZHD. It has 8 slots for RAM so why not fill everyone up with what I believe to be some of the best RAM on the market if their is better please let me know.

4. (Graphics Cards) with 4 slots for SLI I was wondering if it would be possible to do 4 EVGA GeForce GTX 690 Hydro Copper Signature Cards. Performance

NVIDIA GTX 690
3072 CUDA Cores
993 MHz GPU
1045MHz Boost Clock
Memory
4096 MB, 512 bit GDDR5
6008 MHz (effective)
384.52 GB/s Memory Bandwidth
Interface
PCI-E 3.0 16x
DVI-I, DVI-I, DVI-D, Mini Display-Port
SLI Capable
Resolution & Refresh
240Hz Max Refresh Rate
2048x1536 Max Analog
2560x1600 Max Digital
Product Warranty
This product comes with a 3 year limited warranty. Registration is recommended

EVGA offers several warranty solutions for our customers to choose from. Please refer to the suffix of the part number and our warranty terms for details.

Requirements
Minimum of a 650 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 38 Amps.)
If 4 is not possible then 2 is fine with me.

5. (Power source) I figure 2 Corsair
AX1200i Digital ATX Power Supply — 1200 Watt 80 PLUS® Platinum Certified Fully-Modular PSU's should do the trick with all of this included.Contents and Specifications

Features

Digital Signal Processor (DSP) for delivering extremely clean, efficient power with real-time adjustments
Corsair Link™ Integration for monitoring and adjustment of performance, noise, and OCP settings
Dedicated single +12V rail with user-configurable virtual "single rail" and "multi-rail" software modes
An ultra-quiet, 140mm double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow with exceptionally low noise levels by varying fan speed in response to temperature
80 PLUS Platinum certified, delivering up to 92% energy efficiency under real-world load conditions
Active Power Factor Correction (PFC) with PF value of 0.99
Universal AC input from 90~264V
Over-voltage, under-voltage, over-current, and short circuit protection provide maximum safety for your critical system components
Engineered to meet maximum power output at a server-grade 50°C temperature rating.
Self-test switch to determine PSU functionality even before installation.
High-quality capacitors provide uncompromised performance and reliability
A seven year warranty and lifetime access to Corsair's legendary technical support and customer service
Safety Approvals: cTUVus, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TÜV, CCC, C-tick
Package contents

AX1200i power supply
Modular cable pack
Accessory bag with mounting hardware, cable ties, and case badge
Installation Guide
Corsair Link Digital interface cable
Corsair Link USB Dongle
Compatibility

Conforms to ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 standards, and is backward compatible with the ATX12V 2.2 and ATX12V 2.01 standards

Now the tricky part for me is what would be the best 4 display set up for monitors ? I like the new LG 84 inch dream machine Tv's with a refresh rate of 240 Hz they would be able to offer me the ability to watch my games in 3d as well as movies but Im sure they will not be able to give me the best gaming immersion but here is the specs on those TV's. The Ultimate Machine
84" CLASS CINEMA 3D ULTRA DEFINITION LED TV WITH SMART TV (84.0" DIAGONAL)

84LM9600

ULTRA DEFINITION (UD) TV
Boasting a game-changing 3,840 x 2,160 resolution, LG UD TV provides around four times higher pixel resolution than today's Full HD TVs*. LG employs its Triple XD Engine and Resolution Upscaler Plus along with TruMotion 240Hz technology to drive this state-of-the-art panel. With a picture this clear, viewers will feel like they are living their favorite movies, and more.

The 84 inch doesn't have a price yet so here is the 55 inch version that is in 480 refresh rate

55" CLASS CINEMA 3D 1080P 480HZ FULL LED TV WITH SMARTTV (54.6" DIAGONAL)
55LM9600

Feel free to tell me what 4 monitors would be best to sync with this set up for the ultimate Immersion.

6. (GPU) Intel® Core™ i7-3960X Processor Extreme Edition
(15M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz)

7. (Hard Drives) 3 Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR480GB 2.5" 480GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) in raid 5

8. (Blu ray Burner) The PX-LB950SA is an exceptional high-speed Blu-ray writer, providing both smooth high-definition video playback and large-capacity data storage.

It is able to record a 25 GB single-layer disc in unprecedented 12 minutes, and offers a substantial 50 GB of data storage on each double-layer Blu-ray disc, making the PX-LB950SA the ideal device for high-definition video and other high-data applications.

Every aspect of the PX-LB950SA has been designed for data recording accuracy at 12X, while simultaneously reducing operational noise and vibrations. Each drive is provided with a full range of flexible software tools for Blu-ray and DVD playback and recording, in addition to the powerful PlexUtilities software package.

The fusion of rapid recording speed, high burning accuracy and perfect movie playback, make this drive the ideal selection for Blu-ray storage, or as the centerpiece of a an advanced PC based home theater system.

Let me know what else I can do to make this future proof for at least a few years and be top of the line for as long as possible.

spikeycraft

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
I am by no mens a computer expert, but im pretty sure that you could build a computer for $2000 and get the same performance?

over the $2000 mark you get increasingly diminishing returns imperformance.

jk47_99

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
All that money on TV's and nothing on the sound, very disappointing. Get a home cinema system to go with your TV, but I suggest you ask for advice on that in another section or website. The good folks here can help you build a top PC, adding in a couple of GTX 690's with some overpriced SSD drives that will soon eat up your budget.

velfarre

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

Yes I didn't put sound into my line up and so thanks for reminding me as far as sound goes I will be going with the ASUS Xonar Essence STX. This Review says it all. ASUS has been around for a very long time and has always been known for quality computer hardware. For that reason, we are not surprised at all to see one of their sound cards atop our top ten list. The ASUS Xonar Essence STX is our TopTenREVIEWS Gold Award winner. The ASUS Xonar Essence STX not only looks like it has the power to enhance analog and digital audio, but it actually does a very good job in almost every area. This sound card will appeal to the audio enthusiasts who requires the most out of their hardware and knows what quality audio truly sounds like.

Signal-to-noise ratio, or SNR, quantifies the amount of noise corruption you hear when listening to music or other recorded audio. It takes the level of the audio signal and measures it against that of the background noise. To help you better understand how this works, at 1:1 ratio would have no background noise reduction. SNR is generally measured in decibels (dB), and the higher the number, the less background noise you will hear. Consequently, higher SNR numbers usually mean a better overall sound quality. This is one of the biggest factors in determining a quality sound card. However, just because you have a high SNR number, doesn't mean the card is going to have amazing sound reproduction.

A standard integrated chipset on a motherboard has a SNR of around 88 dB; while this isn't horrible, it also lacks the sound quality audio lovers want. A decent sound card will have an SNR of at least 100 dB, allowing you to be able to truly hear and enjoy the sound quality difference. ASUS understands this very well, and it offers the highest SNR on the market. This sound card has an SNR of 124 dB. At this level, almost all background noise is gone, which means you only hear the music or other audio.

This Xonar sound card also has a few other niceties. The Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) is nice and low, sitting at 0.0003% for output and 0.0002% for input -- outdoing most other cards in that area. This card also boasts stellar frequency response, with a wide range of 10 Hz to 90 kHz at 192 kHz. Lastly, if you want to step up the performance even more, you can always swap out the Op-amps for better performance. However, if you’re new to the world of sound cards, we highly recommend you leave the Op-amps alone since you risk damaging your card. If you know a lot about sound cards and feel comfortable tweaking them to your standards, this card has you covered.

thrakazog

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Well, you could indeed build a computer that lasts a good few years for 2 grand......but going strictly off your dream list....

1. Worry less about ddr 2400 ram. Anything above 1600 is too little of an increase to even notice. You would get more performance gains worrying about latency, so get some good ram that is CL8 or CL7. I'm betting the ram you looked at was CL9 or higher.

2. Running two 690's in a system is quad SLI, since the 690 is actually 2 gpu's on a single board. I don't think you actually can run four 690 cards, and honestly, I don't know why you would want to if you could. Two 690 cards is quad SLI.

velfarre

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

Thanks for your response 2 690's it is and as far as RAM goes I will look into other RAM as well. :hello:

thrakazog

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Sound.....the most important hardware when it comes to sound is the speakers. Since you're going crazy buidling a PC the price of a car, might as well go all out. The xonar essence stx is fine, but will only be the first part in the chain for the "ultimate" system.

Next you would run a cable out of the digital out on the xonar to a good intergrated amp with an even more impressive DAC like....

http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/grand-integrated.html

Then from there, to a high quality pair of magnetic/planar speakers, like the mini-maggie bookshelfs.....

http://www.magnepan.com/model_mini_maggie

If your looking for room filling surround to go with a huge TV instead of a setup with computer monitors, we can really get crazy =P

velfarre

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
I purposely left out the speakers because I am having a home theater expert come out to my house when it is finished next month and I am going to have the whole house done in 7.1

velfarre

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

I did not see a price for the 84 inch LG TV yet on their site where did you see a price and that is crazy if they want that much since the 55 inch is only going for 2,999 and the 55 has a refresh rate of 480 versus the 240 on the 84. if 25k per 84 inch is what they want I will hold off on those and go with the 55's instead.

thrakazog

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Ah, ok....if that's the case.....you will run the digital cable from the xonar to whatever pre-amp/amp/integrated amp/reciever you decide upon. Now, you will probably see some responses saying to just run the cable out of the motherboards digital out. But you are still better off using the xonar's digital out rather than the onboard. Most mobos use realtek onboard sound and drivers, which has recently caused problems with some progams, and also can have problems with the digital output signal. I'm sure some will argue I'm wrong, but experience has shown me different. Just my 2 cents on that.

velfarre

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

Thanks again for your input I really appreciate it.

velfarre

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

This chair is sick if I had another 10k in the budget .

http://www.ergoquest.com/ergonomic-desk-10.html

Ergonomic Desk 10

http://www.ergoquest.com/media/ergonomic-desk-10.jpg

Do you wish you could support multiple, huge flat panel monitors over your face while in a reclined position? Are you tired of moving your head back and forth from one monitor to the other? It's great to have the resolution of big monitors, but it becomes impractical to see more than one without using your neck muscles to constantly turn your head to look at an adjacent monitor. Or worse yet, you have to actually move your chair several times a minute so you can see what is on the adjacent screen. Forget about trying to do this from a reclined position, unless you have an ERGO DESK 10.

The ERGO Desk 10 puts you in the center of a sphere. Within that sphere you can recline to a zero gravity position. As you recline in the middle of the sphere, the monitors track your body position along the outside edge of the sphere, each monitor an equal distance from your face. Additionally, the monitors can slide left and right across your face along the outside edge of the sphere. So rather than turning your head to see a monitor, you can keep your head still while repositioning the monitor.

Monitor size and resolution will continue to get bigger. The ERGO DESK 10 can handle any size monitor and let you use multiple monster monitors simultaneously without killing your neck and back. To accommodate large monitors and tall people, the ERGO DESK 10 is big – it’s an 8 foot diameter sphere; the supporting frame requires an 8 x 10 footprint. In order to get the chair to the middle of the sphere, it rides on motorized columns from a height of 22 inches up to a height of 44 inches. To exit the chair, simply lower it to a normal chair height and get out.

Articulating table platforms are mounted on both sides of the chair to accommodate books, documents, laptop, printers, phone, etc. The angle of the table platforms can be adjusted to the level of sphere tilt and recline. Both the keyboard tray and mouse tray swing into position from the sides of the chair.

The ERGO DESK 10 features a 3 inch powder-coated tube steel frame, VESA standard monitor mounts, a keyboard tray, and mouse tray, Motors are controlled with keypads conveniently mounted on the frame near the recliner armrest position.

thrakazog

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
lol...well, thats a little much for me. I would rather a good solid work desk with room for everything I wanted, at the right height, etc....

The ergo-chair thing looks cool, but in practice, I want to be able to get up whenever I want easily to grab the phone, use the restroom, etc.....but that's just my opinion =)

TRENDING THREADS